Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gun metal Grey for Cafe Racer Project

• 08-07-2019 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I'm Working on a 1996 GN250 cafe racer. (See attached picture)
    I was undecided about the tank colour until recently.
    I think gunmetal grey would work really well.
    The problem is I'm having trouble finding it.
    Halfords no longer offer it and finding it online knowing that it's the right one for the job is hard.
    Would anyone have any ideas on where I can find Gunmetal Grey for the use on cars/bikes?
    Are there any similar colours to it that would suit my bike?
    Is gunmetal grey the best colour for my tank? are there other colours that may work better?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=484775&stc=1&d=1562625403

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Some halfords mix paint if you can find a gunmetal grey you like get the paint code they'll mix up rattle cans for you.
    The one in tallaght 100% used to don't know if it still does.

Gunmetal grey is a bit ‘meh’ these days IMHO.

20170718_1814571-e1500427673644.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ashgrove or Autocare have various shades of metallic grey.....I love it but it doesnt suit every bike....IMO...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

JayZeus wrote: »
    Gunmetal grey is a bit ‘meh’ these days IMHO.

20170718_1814571-e1500427673644.jpg

I'm not trying to make my tank the showpiece or anything. I just want something that will work well with the changes I've made so far. What would you suggest?

Building a cr or scrambler or brat is all about what YOU want...theyre a vary personal thing, some will love it and some hate the whole scene....to me its what i want and fcuk everyone else.....:P
    If you want the gunmetal, go for it..although i'll say one thing..you're not going to get a factory finish with rattlecans...and dark metallics are very sensitive to shading from not laying it down evenly...and no matt black..its sooo last year..:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,085 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I personally think a matt black tank would look well with the gloss black wheels/frame.
    But as Max said, do what you want,not anyone else.

Building a cr or scrambler or brat is all about what YOU want...theyre a vary personal thing, some will love it and some hate the whole scene....to me its what i want and fcuk everyone else.....:P
    If you want the gunmetal, go for it..although i'll say one thing..you're not going to get a factory finish with rattlecans...and dark metallics are very sensitive to shading from not laying it down evenly...and no matt black..its sooo last year..:).

Thanks, Appreciate the feedback.
    What would you recommend that would give a decent even finish that would give be durable?

blade1 wrote: »
    I personally think a matt black tank would look well with the gloss black wheels/frame.
    But as Max said, do what you want,not anyone else.

Thanks. I thought of doing a Matt finish but would a clear coat turn the Matt to gloss?
    I've used pj1 fast black gloss for the wheels and frame because I read online that it gives a hard durable finish. Would Matt black pj1 be the best for the tank?

a satin/matt clear over the metallic looks great.....and is in fashion...lot of manufacturers are using it...:P...a couple of black stripes too for good measure..

a satin/matt clear over the metallic looks great.....and is in fashion...lot of manufacturers are using it...:P...a couple of black stripes too for good measure..

Took your advice. There's a little bit of bleed on the stripes but for an amateur job I'm relatively happy. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,085 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Took your advice. There's a little bit of bleed on the stripes but for an amateur job I'm relatively happy. Thanks for the advice.

Nice, don't worry about any imperfections,that's all part of it!! ;)

If that's you're first attempt mate you're a natural...looks excellent...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

If you were just selling it...any colour would have done...;)

Advertisement