Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many strict pull ups can you do?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Why overrated? I think its one of the most useful for real life.

I suspect what he might mean by an 'overrated exercise' is that there's a touch of 'how much can you bench?' about such a question. Not that it's not any good, just that it's one of the exhibition exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What's a better vertical pulling exercise if pull ups are overrated?
    There are alternatives that don't involve the vertical pulling which people can comfortably get decent reps on even if they are not as complete. To me there's always been a level of exhibitionism and personal choice to them. No fan myself, weight to strength issue and I happily embrace other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

What is the weight to strength issue? Also what other options do you prefer?

What is the weight to strength issue? Also what other options do you prefer?
    As others have pointed out lighter bodies tend to perform better at it. I use a variety of rows, pulldowns, TRX, IYT etc. instead. Never really been drawn to the exercise I suppose but can do about 2 at a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I can do 8, I'm 84kg, 6'1 and 41

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

is_that_so wrote: »
    There are alternatives that don't involve the vertical pulling which people can comfortably get decent reps on even if they are not as complete. To me there's always been a level of exhibitionism and personal choice to them. No fan myself, weight to strength issue and I happily embrace other options.

you mean you find them too hard and aren't willing to put the work in to get better at them

they are pretty cool though lets be honest :cool:

IvoryTower wrote: »
    you mean you find them too hard and aren't willing to put the work in to get better at them

they are pretty cool though lets be honest :cool:

Oh, I like looking at them and then I just go back to my "less challenging" routines. Never had any interest in "getting better" at them. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fergalicious

5 Sets at current reps of 26, 23, 19, 15, 13.
    28 Years.
    110Kg
    Do them twice a week and the reps quickly fly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^ 110kg, that's a mighty weight to be hoofing up and down with your arms!

I decided last month to try do them down the road, I do negatives once a week and will do that for the next 3 months or so and do some other progressions from there.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

silverharp wrote: »
    ^^ 110kg, that's a mighty weight to be hoofing up and down with your arms!

I decided last month to try do them down the road, I do negatives once a week and will do that for the next 3 months or so and do some other progressions from there.

I'd have my doubts that they are the strict dead hang pull ups the OP asks about.

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'd have my doubts that they are the strict dead hang pull ups the OP asks about.

I pull up to my chin. Go down to just before lockout. Suppose they wouldn't be dead hangs. But they are pull ups with no half reps and no swinging.

Tip: Dead hanging with your arms extended past shoulder width is not a good idea if you enjoy having full range of movement without pain on your shoulders. When you dead hang your lats will go into rest, when you kick them back into tension for the pull you also run the risk of pulling the muscle.

silverharp wrote: »
    ^^

Yeh negatives are great for pull ups. Do your regular sets first though. Then when you cant pull yourself up anymore, jump up and let your self down as slow as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

is_that_so wrote: »
    What's a better vertical pulling exercise if pull ups are overrated?

If alternatives don't involve vertical pulling then they are not alternatives.

There are alternatives that are essentially building blocks of pull ups. Nothing wrong with pull downs but I'd consider them an exercise that builds strength to do pull ups.

I don't but this weight/strength issue. If you can do zero because of your weight, then progress is being able to do one and so on. Comparing numbers is kind of irrelevant. The only comparison is what you can do versus yesterday.

I'm not saying the pull up us the only exercise but alternatives typically build towards it and it's a good indicator or personal progress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Age 37, 5ft 10, currently overweight at 95kg due to injury time out.

Typical 4 sets pull ups
    Set 1 with 15kg on weighted belt - 16 reps

Set 2 with 10 kg 14 reps

Set 3 with 7.5kg 14 reps

Set 4 with 5kg 18 reps

Without additional weight can manage up to 35 pull ups, nice and slow.

By far my strongest exercise, possibly helped by my huge lats. Always had lats long before i was a gym head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

c. 80 Kg.

Current - 2 sets of 5 as part of a larger workout with dumbbells, adjustable bench and pull-ups.
    Best - About 15 some years ago at a house party. My form was pretty good at the time as I did a lot but I cannot be certain I did a full 1-2 second dead hang at the end of each one as it was after a few drinks.

I find pull-ups and chin-ups to be a great exercise. Finally getting back to them after being stuck without a bar for nearly a year and it was immediately apparent how they exercise certain upper body muscle groups that I found difficult to safely exercise with dumbbells.
    I was never the most technical exerciser. This thread's great for some more information. Are negatives the best way to improve pull-up counts?

I always get skeptical of anyone who says they can do over 20 strict pull ups. Magnus Mitbo is a world class climber can do weigthed one arm chins and even one arm muscle ups but his max is 24 and admits himself he thought his number was closer to 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aV42el_bQ4

As for the best way to build pull up count this really varies on the person I have been recommended by both gymnasts and rock climbers to do one arm static work to help up your numbers which did work for me but it really depends on the individual. For some its strength and for others its endurance for example.

I always get skeptical of anyone who says they can do over 20 strict pull ups. Magnus Mitbo is a world class climber can do weigthed one arm chins and even one arm muscle ups but his max is 24 and admits himself he thought his number was closer to 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aV42el_bQ4

As for the best way to build pull up count this really varies on the person I have been recommended by both gymnasts and rock climbers to do one arm static work to help up your numbers which did work for me but it really depends on the individual. For some its strength and for others its endurance for example.

You're free to be skeptical, but i have nothing whatsoever to gain from lying online.

Maybe the gymnastics background up to the age of 17 helped, along with the fact i must have done 10 sets of them a day along with a couple hundred push ups daily through my teen years up to my mid 20s.

And then theirs the other side of the coin, i cant squat more than 130kg without my legs giving way even though they look like theyd handle 400kg lol

Well the long life of gymnastics is a pretty good explanation :)

I have had a lot of people tell me they can do x amount and often cant do 1 strict one so that makes a lot of sense now. Even if the squat is low I imagine your deadlift would be fairly high though.

Well the long life of gymnastics is a pretty good explanation :)

I have had a lot of people tell me they can do x amount and often cant do 1 strict one so that makes a lot of sense now. Even if the squat is low I imagine your deadlift would be fairly high though.

Without a belt / wraps my best 1rm to date is 275kg, my typical style was always reverse pyramid ie 1st set for 2 reps, 2nd for 4 reps and 3rd for 6 reps.

Alot of focus on linear progression /progressive overload without completely destroying my central nervous system

Im paying the price now though, half crippled with injuries and walkimg aroind like an 80year old.

Heart is completely broken regarding the time out of the gym, it was my sanctuary.

Sorry to hear it mate I broke my hand a few years back was a long lay off almost all of my hobbies so I know the feeling hope you heal up soon.

• Advertisement

I screwed my shoulder badly so decided to smash the hell out of my legs for 6 months....... Bad idea....

Now im absolutely foked with hip/tailbone /knee pain on one side.

Due to be checked for lymes disease and arthritis, fingers crossed i get some answers and get back in the gym asap

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I can do 7 now with that kind of strict form.. I never really felt any point for me in going beyond 10 per set tbh (improper form towards the end it must be said), never had a specific need for it. I found the one arm+towel version to be really useful and interesting as a variation, as well as changing grip during the sets to swap to a chin-up

italodisco wrote: »
    I screwed my shoulder badly so decided to smash the hell out of my legs for 6 months....... Bad idea....

Now im absolutely foked with hip/tailbone /knee pain on one side.

Due to be checked for lymes disease and arthritis, fingers crossed i get some answers and get back in the gym asap

Sounds a bit like Aids.

Sounds a bit like Aids.
    :pac:
    The tested me for hiv and hep last year in hospital so it aint that....

I've an extremely high pain tolerance so theres definitely something going on if its bothering me alot.

I walked around for over a week with a broken wrist and a broken finger, all which had to be rebroken in hospital lol says it all really :D

italodisco wrote: »
    :pac:
    The tested me for hiv and hep last year in hospital so it aint that.... :D
    #You may be at risk if you've been a MSM (man who squats with men) since.

At least I think that's what it stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

#You may be at risk if you've been a MSM (man who squats with men) since.

At least I think that's what it stands for.

MSM stands for mainstream media, actually. That said, I have never understood why HIV rates were so high among newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Absolutely 0.

I am pretty fit, but carry a large amount of weight in muscle on legs. Arms cannot carry that long body and short legs... Basically look like gorilla..without the strength..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

NSAman wrote: »
    Absolutely 0.

I am pretty fit, but carry a large amount of weight in muscle on legs. Arms cannot carry that long body and short legs... Basically look like gorilla..without the strength..:)

I think Gorillas have stronger arms than legs! :D

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2FNetwork%2FImages%2F160111coachgorilla2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Crap reps about 20

True strict hang pull up, maybe 7 or 8 max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

9 in first set. Then 7 in next 4 sets with a minute and a half break. By the last rep I'm struggling to get chin over and form is bad. I'm 35, 6ft2 and about 80kg.

This time two years ago I could do none. I was using the pull up assistant machine in the gym for about 6 months before I was able to do sets without it. Pull up assistant machine is great for anyone who wants to start.

I noticed from looking around the gym that always the fittest looking people were doing pull ups so I wanted to start..... it is an amazing exercise for overall fitness . Still want to be able to get to 10×5 sets but more work to do. I don't do any abs exersise but I blame pull ups for my abs now showing as soon after I started doing pull ups every second day they started to appear.

I'm in a very busy gym. max I counted another was 15.

Advertisement