Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Any word on where the football semifinals will be played, I'd imagine Doonbeg/Milltown will be in Cooraclare and Kib/Cratloe in Ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

Any word on where the football semifinals will be played, I'd imagine Doonbeg/Milltown will be in Cooraclare and Kib/Cratloe in Ennis

Both in the park Miltown / Doonbeg on the Saturday. Other game the next day.

Both in the park Miltown / Doonbeg on the Saturday. Other game the next day.

Bringing Doonbeg and Miltown to Ennis makes no since, passing Cooraclare and Kilmihil on the way
    I have a feeling Doonbeg will have something to say about that plan😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

They're hardly driving that far FFS it's 30mins to Ennis!

Why would you go to Ennis with two West Clare teams and leave two pitches in West Clare that have hosted County Finals lying idle, doesn't make sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭fire_man

Miltown would open them up in the park.Could be different story in Kilmihil.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Why would you go to Ennis with two West Clare teams and leave two pitches in West Clare that have hosted County Finals lying idle, doesn't make sense

Because the county grounds are in Ennis and players deserve to play the semi finals in the county grounds. Even the FA Cup Semi Finals play semi finals in Wembley regardless who's playing.

Clareman wrote: »
    Because the county grounds are in Ennis and players deserve to play the semi finals in the county grounds. Even the FA Cup Semi Finals play semi finals in Wembley regardless who's playing.

Ya the county board will fix football games for Cusack park when it suits them, but if it interfered in any way with hurling the footballers wouldnt be long being shifted back to West Clare to play their game. That's why I feel if 2 West Clare teams are playing a West Clare club should benefit. I'd love to see the county footballers playing their league games in West Clare too, but seemingly the players like the Park, which is fair enough

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Davy is gone to Galway for 3 years, he'll be back with us then if not sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Clareman wrote: »
    Davy is gone to Galway for 3 years, he'll be back with us then if not sooner

That ll be some dressing room..egos aplenty. It might end in tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

He'll be expected to deliver in galway though and there will be no 3 year plan. I am trying to figure out how he is going to spin it, from "loving those boys in wexford" to "loving those boys in Galway"??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

BloodyBill wrote: »
    That ll be some dressing room..egos aplenty. It might end in tears.

That Galway team is probably burning oil at this stage. Most of the key players have been around a while. Will be interesting to see can he get three years out of them..
    Needs Year 1 to be big..
    Year 2 Ok and
    Year 3 he can blame someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

fire_man wrote: »
    Miltown would open them up in the park.Could be different story in Kilmihil.

I've always wondered where this comes from as kilmihil is not a narrow pitch at all, maybe the stand wall gives that effect..

Shane_ef wrote: »
    I've always wondered where this comes from as kilmihil is not a narrow pitch at all, maybe the stand wall gives that effect..

It's all in people's heads. Anytime there is an intercounty hurling match in Cusack Park everyone talks about the tight pitch being a problem for the opposition. The Park has the same dimensions as Croke Park.

It's all in people's heads. Anytime there is an intercounty hurling match in Cusack Park everyone talks about the tight pitch being a problem for the opposition. The Park has the same dimensions as Croke Park.

Not anymore, if you watch old games you'll see the sidelines really close to the fence, now its in a good bit from the fence, it was narrowed a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You are some driver if you can get from Doonbeg to Ennis in 30 mins during a Saturday. Not to talk of parking up and walking to the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Jamie Malone nominated for All Star.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Jamie Malone nominated for All Star.

Well merited nomination, an awful shame he won't be available for the coming year for the county

Gary Brennan should have got a nomination, was outstanding in every game he played, Kerry couldn't live with him in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Gary Brennan should have got a nomination, was outstanding in every game he played, Kerry couldn't live with him in the park.

I always taught David Moran got the better of him in the kerry games, not just this year, Brian menton probably did too in the meath game,

Menton was superb all year and probably deserved to be ahead, jarleth Og burns was outstanding in the ulster championship

Brennan was excellent in the qualifiers in fairness but no complaints, he should have got an all star ahead of matty Donnelly in 2016 though

I also think if Eoin Cleary had any sort of decent game against meath he would have been nominated also

• Advertisement

I always taught David Moran got the better of him in the kerry games, not just this year, Brian menton probably did too in the meath game,

Menton was superb all year and probably deserved to be ahead, jarleth Og burns was outstanding in the ulster championship

Brennan was excellent in the qualifiers in fairness but no complaints, he should have got an all star ahead of matty Donnelly in 2016 though

I also think if Eoin Cleary had any sort of decent game against meath he would have been nominated also[/quote
    Moran definitely didn't get the better of him this year he was black carded early, Brennan played most of his football in the half forward line in the championship this year. He came deep and ran at Kerry time after time in Ennis and they had no answer to him. He was picked up by Harnan against Meath and he had another big game he orchestrated everything that was good about Clare on the day.
    I don't think Cleary was near it this year, he missed most of the league due to injury and his season never really took off in comparison with the standards he set.

I also think if Eoin Cleary had any sort of decent game against meath he would have been nominated also[/quote
    Moran definitely didn't get the better of him this year he was black carded early, Brennan played most of his football in the half forward line in the championship this year. He came deep and ran at Kerry time after time in Ennis and they had no answer to him. He was picked up by Harnan against Meath and he had another big game he orchestrated everything that was good about Clare on the day.
    I don't think Cleary was near it this year, he missed most of the league due to injury and his season never really took off in comparison with the standards he set.

Yes you are right, about both moran and harran, I was on another planet in fairness,

Harran did give plenty of it to Brennan in the second half of that game though, cleary was outstanding all year however averaged 6 points a game, even in the first game against waterford where clare struggled badly he was on fire, the only bad game he had was against meath, who's backs are excellent to be fair

finbarrk wrote: »
    You are some driver if you can get from Doonbeg to Ennis in 30 mins during a Saturday. Not to talk of parking up and walking to the park.

Must be a helicopter driver 😂

SIXMILEBRIDGE 0-18 0-15 INAGH/KILNAMONA

Dispite an excellent 60 minute performance by both aidan mccarthy and david fitzgerld the bridge battled back from 4 points down 10 minutes into the second half to run away with a 3 point win

inagh controlled the first half but only lead by the minimum, both sides could be accused of poor shooting in the open 30 mins , the combo took over early in the second , a jason mccarthy point from the sideline 21 yards out looked to have them in control , but a series of unanswered points two jamie shannahan points either side of 4 alex morey scores (3 frees ) and an evan mcinerney point from range had the bridge out in front with 10 minutes remaining

at that stage the fiz had evaporated out of the inagh/k challenge and sixmilebridge saw out the contest , this is there 5th final since 2011 , crusheen beat them in the mud bath final in 2011 , they went on to beat newmarket '13, Clonlara '15 , and clooney quinn '17 , it will take a serious effort from either cratloe or crusheen to beat them ,

Sixmilebridge scorers

alex morey 0-8 , jamie shannahan 0-4 ,jason loughnane 0-2
    brian corry 0-1 , shane golden 0-1, camain morey 0-1 evan mcinerney 0-1

Inagh/k scorers

niall arthur 0-4 , david fitzgerld 0-3 , aidan mccarthy 0-2 , ger arthur 0-2
    evan mcnamara 0-2 , jason mccarthy 0-1 , kevin hehir 0-1

intermeadite semi final

DOORA/BAREFIELD3-25 2-17 SCARIFF AET

Scariff were well on top in this one with less then ten minutes remaining they held a 10 point lead thanks to two fergus madden goals , but an alan o'neill major and a late aaron lundy score in injury time forced extra time , where david conroy and co took over and ren out easy winners

conor tierney and darragh o'shea were excellent for the winners , while ross horan and diarmuid nash were excelllent for the east clare men

it will be a tough one to take tonight for scariff but they have some excellent talent coming through , mark rodgers promises to be an excellent forward in time and will have much better days to come

Doora/B scorers
    david conroy 0-10,darragh o'shea 0-4 ,Conor tierney 2-1 ,alan o'neill 1-0
    caimin o' connor 0-2 brian guilfoyle 0-2 cathal ruane 0-2
    cian barron 0-2 thomas hehir 0-1 aaron landy 0-1

scariff scorers

diarmuid nash 0-9, fergus madden 2-0, ross horan 0-4
    mark rodgers 0-2 sean minogue 0-1 conor mcnamara 0-1
    JHC A final

clonlara (2) 2-20 1-08 Kilmaley (2)

Clonlara second team return to intermediate ranks tonight after an emphatic win over kilmaley in sixmilebridge , while doora/barefield's second string saw off newmarket's 3rds in comfortable fashion in the junior b final in tulla

clonlara scorers,
    tom power 2-3 sean begley 0-6 bryan mcleish 0-4 ,eoin meehan 0-3 jonathan mcmahon 0-3
    patrick o'hare 0-1

JHC B Final
    St Joseph's Doora Barefield(2) 4-11 1-5 Newmarket on Fergus (3)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

IK have a good young team and will be around for a good few years. I expect Aidan McCarthy to emerge as a star for not only his club but county also.

Bridge showed theyre experience in the second half to come back from 4 points. I think they will win the final. I think Alex Morey should be worth looking at for Clare. Strong lad and well able to score.

letowski wrote: »
    IK have a good young team and will be around for a good few years. I expect Aidan McCarthy to emerge as a star for not only his club but county also.

Bridge showed theyre experience in the second half to come back from 4 points. I think they will win the final. I think Alex Morey should be worth looking at for Clare. Strong lad and well able to score.

Morey, paudie Fitzpatrick, Mulready and camin Morey are class acts throw in Jason Loughnane should be regulars on clare panels but I don't think they make themselves available,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Morey, paudie Fitzpatrick, Mulready and camin Morey are class acts throw in Jason Loughnane should be regulars on clare panels but I don't think they make themselves available,

Agree with you on seadna, the rest, no way. Not good enough to play inter county.

cratloe 3-24 2-12 crusheen

cratloe power past crusheen with a 3-17 second half blitz , the south clare side completely dominated the middle 3rd area of the field throughout the second half

conor mcgarath put in another savage display in midfield , while in the second half the likes of rian considine and billy connors were unmarkable at times

sixmilebridge will offer a huge test in the final , it will be interesting how cratloe come through the football next week and if it will have any effect there would be very little love loss between the sides to be fair

cratloe scores

rian considine 2-3 , billy connors 0-6, shane gleeson 0-4
    Cathal mcinerney 1-1 , conor mcgrath 0-3, podge collins 0-3
    diarmuid ryan 0-2 , liam markham 0-1 , sean collins 0-1

Crusheen scorers

Ross hayes 1-5 , mark perill 1-0, eanna mcmahon 0-2, paddy vaughan 0-2
    jamie fitzgibbion 0-1 ,brefni horner 0-1 ,connor o donnell 0-1

broadford 2-18 2-14 smith o'briens

scoreline a little flattering on the killaloe men , two late goals coming from keith stritch and main talisman tommy reddan put a gloss on the scoreline , broadfoard were well in control in this one , shane taylor stiofan mcmahon diarmuid moloney excellent for the winners ,

another intermeadite final for broadford , they will have to have there work cut out to beat doora/barefield who seem to have nine lives at the moment

broadford scorers

shane taylor 0-9 , stiofan mcmahon 1-3 ,donie whealan 1-1 diarmuid moloney 0-2
    craig chaplin 0-1 , sean phelan 0-1

smith o'brians scorers

tommy reddan 1-10, keith stritch 1-0 ,cathal stritch 0-1 ,john cusack 0-1, david o'shea 0-1

Agree with you on seadna, the rest, no way. Not good enough to play inter county.

We were on about his cousin, also the experience some of them players could bring to the panel would be a help, no worse then the like of Deasy or Darragh Corry

Not that long ago lads were writing off Shane Golden or Cathal Malone who had a decent year behind them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I'd agree that Alex Morey is worth a look. Mulready is a very good player ,alot of talent. What the 'Bridge always have is competition for all places. Theyve 4 senior teams and process an awful amount of players.. They are generally better coached than most Clare club teams too from underage upwards. It's a 'do your job' type of club and they never over do the celebrations or annoy other teams. The only team that they really dont like and the old men inthe club would make sure you know about it are Newmarket and that's for historical reasons.
    There'll be some fizz in the final with the 2 South east Clare parishes side by side. The Ard Scoil ris connections aswell. Interesting fact is alll the Limerick road/Orange street is in Sixmilebridge village but Cratloe parish.

Advertisement