Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 French Open

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

mzungu wrote: »
    Kenin breaks and is to serve for the match.

The shocks all coming early

Serena gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Serena was her usual self when struggling in a match, shaking her head and attempting intimidation tactics with her prolonged daggers at her opponent after serving aces. Kenin played very well, albeit against an unfit Serena. Handled the situation and pressure well. Scoreline in the second set flattered Serena a bit to be honest.

Disappointed, although not surprised, Osaka is out. Hasn't played well on the clay, struggles with movement a bit, and hasn't played well generally really much of the season. Hard to know if it's the pressure of world number one getting to her, or the split from Bajin. Probably a bit of both. Interested to see how she gets on at Wimbledon but suspect her movement might hinder her there also.

Loomis wrote: »
    Serena was her usual self when struggling in a match, shaking her head and attempting intimidation tactics with her prolonged daggers at her opponent after serving aces. Kenin played very well, albeit against an unfit Serena. Handled the situation and pressure well. Scoreline in the second set flattered Serena a bit to be honest.

Disappointed, although not surprised, Osaka is out. Hasn't played well on the clay, struggles with movement a bit, and hasn't played well generally really much of the season. Hard to know if it's the pressure of world number one getting to her, or the split from Bajin. Probably a bit of both. Interested to see how she gets on at Wimbledon but suspect her movement might hinder her there also.

Apparently the split was Bajin decision so I read on twitter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/01/hell-dominic-thiem-fumes-kicked-press-conference-serena-williams-9773500/

Wow, Serena got Thiem kicked out of his own press conference. I'm so sick of this b**ch I can't even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Loomis wrote: »

Would be fair to say i think that Kenin was herself fairly feisty in her general demeanour through the match, to the point she had the crowd on her back for a fair part of it. And fair play to her, determined not to be intimidated where countless others have been.

Would be fair to say i think that Kenin was herself fairly feisty in her general demeanour through the match, to the point she had the crowd on her back for a fair part of it. And fair play to her, determined not to be intimidated where countless others have been.

Reality is Serena is really bad for the sport. If you look at the Thiem interview situation it's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hope Williams never wins another slam.
    Her attitude on and off court is disgusting.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Hope Williams never wins another slam.
    Her attitude on and off court is disgusting.

Agree mate has been for years. The fact she tries to monopolies and holds the power moves is shocking.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I want Serena to win a couple more to overtake Court. She isn't exactly a pleasant person but Court is ten times worse, would be a real shame if such a terrible person ended up with the slam record. Well if you can even consider Court's tally a record, idk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Konta resurrecting her career on clay of all places is one of this season's more bizarre stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Rob2D wrote: »
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/01/hell-dominic-thiem-fumes-kicked-press-conference-serena-williams-9773500/

Wow, Serena got Thiem kicked out of his own press conference. I'm so sick of this b**ch I can't even.

If I was Thiem I'd refuse to have any dealings with the press at Roland Garros for the rest of the tournament.

He can go on twitter and give his thoughts on things there so he doesn't need the mainstream media anymore to connect with fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Is there any other English station to watch the French apart from Eurosport ?

Rikand wrote: »

No mate

No mate

ITV4 are also showing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

ITV4.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Reality is Serena is really bad for the sport. If you look at the Thiem interview situation it's madness.

Did Serena request the main interview room? My guess is that call was made by the authorities. They shoulder the blame for that one IMO. If Serena made no request, then they should have waited until Thiem had finished, or just go to another interview room. If Serena did make the request (no confirmation that she did) they should have said no.

Good match here between Wawrinka and Tsitsipas.

Did Serena request the main interview room? My guess is that call was made by the authorities. They shoulder the blame for that one IMO. If Serena made no request, then they should have waited until Thiem had finished, or just go to another interview room. If Serena did make the request (no confirmation that she did) they should have said no.

She was offered smaller room she refused. They were stuck for time so made the call to move Dom. Blame is on her being a prima Dona

Good match here between Wawrinka and Tsitsipas.

looks like it's heading to 5 with Tsipsipas a break up in the 4th

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    looks like it's heading to 5 with Tsipsipas a break up in the 4th

Hahaha not anymore tsitsi is a major bottler.

Break back for tsitsi. I can't see him challenging for it outright he is too careless.

Hahaha not anymore tsitsi is a major bottler.

eh no - Tsitsipas has broken again.

eh no - Tsitsipas has broken again.

He is a bottler though mate he has proven it time and time again.

He is a bottler though mate he has proven it time and time again.

he's top 5 in the world at only 20 years of age - hardly a bottler.

he's top 5 in the world at only 20 years of age - hardly a bottler.

Oh Christ. Ok mate.

his lack of experience going to 5 sets could be a factor here though - only his second match going to 5 sets ever tho and first on clay as they just showed there on Eurosport.

that drop shot from behind the baseline!

that drop shot from behind the baseline!

Missing BPs this set quite a bit could bite him

• Advertisement

She was offered smaller room she refused. They were stuck for time so made the call to move Dom. Blame is on her being a prima Dona

That's what has been reported, but all articles I have read have stated that it hasn't been confirmed that Williams requested it.

We have no confirmation of the details at present.

Advertisement