Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sri lanka honeymoon plans

• 28-04-2019 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Hey,

We have part of our honeymoon locked in. Fly to The Maldives in July, 5 nights and then flights to Sr Lanka to spend two weeks there. We've no accommodation booked for Sri Lanka but we had begun discussions with our travel agent. When the horrible events of last week happened we didn't want to react too quickly but with the announcement from the various departments of foreign affairs to not travel at the end at the week it looks like it's time to change destination.

I'm wondering what people's opinion is on this. We kinda feel it'll be 2 months away, the country will still be in mourning and it'll feel disrespectful to be honeymooning around the island. There's also the element of danger considering the nature of the attacks.

On the other hand is there a chance that the nation will want to rally, people will want to keep their jobs, return to normal life and tourists will play their part in it?

Finally, if we change any tips on a location? Sri Lanka was perfect, food, nature, beach, sun nice hotels at the right price (esp after maldives). We've been to Thailand, my OH to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam. Can you do India with the luxury? Philippians?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hey,

We have part of our honeymoon locked in. Fly to The Maldives in July, 5 nights and then flights to Sr Lanka to spend two weeks there. We've no accommodation booked for Sri Lanka but we had begun discussions with our travel agent. When the horrible events of last week happened we didn't want to react too quickly but with the announcement from the various departments of foreign affairs to not travel at the end at the week it looks like it's time to change destination.

I'm wondering what people's opinion is on this. We kinda feel it'll be 2 months away, the country will still be in mourning and it'll feel disrespectful to be honeymooning around the island. There's also the element of danger considering the nature of the attacks.

On the other hand is there a chance that the nation will want to rally, people will want to keep their jobs, return to normal life and tourists will play their [art in it?

Finally, if we change any tips on a location? Sri Lanka was perfect, food, nature, beach, sun nice hotels at the right price (esp after maldives). We've been to Thailand, my OH to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam. Can you do India with the luxury? Philippians?

I'd leave the decision for a couple of weeks and see how things pan out. I'm planning to be in Sri Lanka for a couple of weeks from mid July and I'm still expecting to go.

Having been there a few times before I know how dependent the island is on tourism and I'm inclined to return unless things escalate seriously. Locals definitely won't see you as disrespectful if you go, quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Research Coron and El Nido in Palawan in the Philippines, both ideal locations with stunning beauty and very safe, the overwhelming majority of people are Catholic and the Governemnt there has a zero tolerance attitude to crime, Why should you be feeling at unease on the probably the best and most expensive holiday you may ever take, I'd definitely be boycotting Sri Lanka, the Govt there was warned it was going to happen with a large degree of accuracy but took an apathetic attitude towards it as it was just Christians being targeted so who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

OP, I would probably wait another week or two to see what the warnings say and if you are still not comfortable going, can you cancel and go somewhere else or is that a ton of hassle?
    The sad fact is though that you aren't ever really "safe" anywhere and anything can happen anywhere and at anytime- you could have a plane crash, a car crash on the way to the airport, you could be having the time of your life on a safe resort when you look sideways at the local nutcase and he stabs you to death. I know that sounds dramatic but really, safety is just an illusion and if you start thinking of all the things that could go wrong you wouldn't ever leave the house!

The chances of something awful happening on holiday are quite slim so that's all you can go on, but don't leave it stop you because you could end up making the best memories of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement