Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Close call for the banner men against the decies.

The premier county are going backwards at a rate of knots.Fair play to the treaty men,I really didn't see that result coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

C__MC wrote: »
    Tipp going backwards, surprised there wasn’t as much of a media kick on their relegation. Will always be a hurling county. Kildare sloppy but still fancy them to make a Leinster final. Munster is a dead duck but fair play to limerick

Kildare scheduled to face Dublin in Leinster semi...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Tipp going backwards, surprised there wasn’t as much of a media kick on their relegation. Will always be a hurling county. Kildare sloppy but still fancy them to make a Leinster final. Munster is a dead duck but fair play to limerick

Kildare are on the same side as Dublin in the Leinster championship. Would meet in the semi final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

seligehgit wrote: »
    Close call for the banner men against the decies.

The premier county are going backwards at a rate of knots.Fair play to the treaty men,I really didn't see that result coming.

Good man Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Apologies, Dublin will of course beat them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

What is wrong in Kildare football?.....the counties population mushroomed on the back of the first economic boom and yet they are as far away now as they have ever being from not alone challenging realistically for a Leinster title or All Ireland.
    Is it that there are poor club structures,poor Co Board or lack of interest in GAA??....,,.because they are punching way below their weight at the moment.
    The population boom in Kildare and Meath was mostly due to a influx of people from Dublin. Most of those people (and their kids) are Dublin fans first and foremost and generally wouldn't be caught dead in a Kildare/Meath jersey.

TBF north kildare is an influx of dubs as is south meath, Wicklow and north Wexford.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Offaly with 7 unanswered points after half time to lead by 4. All over Meath and looks like they're strolling to victory.

Who is the guy on here who writes on here about how Meath are re emerging ?
    Leinster is some farce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Easy enough win for us today. Leitrim must be sick of Roscommon at this stage. Game plan was obviously to blitz them in first half and we scored three quick goals, could have been 5 or 6 in first half, Leitrim should have got 2 themselves it must be said.

Second half was non event with Roscommon in first gear after O'Rourke went off injured.

Killoran, Niall Daly and Harney (outside one error) were standouts.

Huge amount of work needed obviously if we are to get anything in Castlebar. Gave away far too many frees today.
    Who is the guy on here who writes on here about how Meath are re emerging ?
    Leinster is some farce

Meath will get to Leinster final. Despite losing they still only need one win to qualify for super 8s...and last year they should have beaten Tyrone in qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Was in Innovate Wexford Park today. Louth scored the last nine points of the game to win by 0-22 to 1-14, but there is a definite sense of frustration from a Wexford perspective.

We were 1-14 to 0-16 up crying out for a relieving score near the end when there looked to be a clear foul and a free-in, which was ignored by the referee. They of course went immediately up the other end to kick the leveller, and kicked on from there (mainly through Ryan Burns off the bench). Also, Wexford suffered a (justified) penalty and black-card double-whammy after seven minutes, the penalty was subsequently saved, but when they received a stone-wall penalty of their own for a more blatant foul, a black-card wasn't produced for the Louth offender. It's the lack of consistency that's most annoying, particularly as they would have been had a sub less to play around with down the home straight.

That gripe is not to take away from Louth, as they were worthy winners, and showed better composure to see out the game. They also got five points off the bench (four from Burns), whereas Wexford were too slow to make changes, and invariably made the wrong ones. Wexford's restarts were erratic too to say the least. At least we showed some hunger and some semblance of form compared to our league horror-show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

The population boom in Kildare and Meath was mostly due to a influx of people from Dublin. Most of those people (and their kids) are Dublin fans first and foremost and generally wouldn't be caught dead in a Kildare/Meath jersey.

I understand that a lot of the ‘new’ population came out from Dublin to buy affordable houses but are their children not going to school locally in Kildare/Meath?.....and also playing football at the weekends in local GAA clubs.

Surely a decent footballer in these counties would not turn down a call up to a County Development Squad or Senior team because their parents were from Dublin?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I agree this is often the case.

I offer that in some clubs they have not been welcomed, excluded from decisions.

Some had a good experience overall.

I know some that bring their kids to Dublin not Meath games, others do the opposite.

The contributers to local clubs from Dublin must have a pain in their backside reading content like the above.

IMO a more open policy is needed, otherwise they'll be lost to the game completely (if GAA people at all)
    Or bring the kids to play elsewhere or other games.

It think it is another issue to address for the GAA in Meath rather than continue to frame the issue as such.

I know people who are mad to get back to Dublin and others who are very happy in Meath and have said they'll never move.
    In Dublin I have neighbors from Meath, Kildare and Kilkenny myself.

Plenty of counties have to deal with an influx of people from other counties, but it is a lot in Meath and kildare cases.

I'd say converting people to the GAA rather than switching county and developing a hatred of their parents' county is more achievable and rewarding. Many never had an introduction to the GAA to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Good man Marty.

You have no idea how much that made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Offaly with 7 unanswered points after half time to lead by 4. All over Meath and looks like they're strolling to victory.

Didn't turn out that way,the back door for us again :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I wonder did many Derry fans make the trip to Omagh on the final day of the premier league, I sure didn't. The only way Derry will win anything is if Dublin players get a job in Derry City and play with Derry clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I wonder did many Derry fans make the trip to Omagh on the final day of the premier league, I sure didn't. The only way Derry will win anything is if Dublin players get a job in Derry City and play with Derry clubs.

But they already have silverware this year......

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Cavan doing really well here.

Very soft penalty it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Soft penalty, but a couple of soft frees given to Monaghan at the other end to even it up

Cavan have been here before though and still lost, will be interesting to see if they can keep this up in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Soft penalty, but a couple of soft frees given to Monaghan at the other end to even it up

Cavan have been here before though and still lost, will be interesting to see if they can keep this up in the second half

Early and other commentator giving Lane a hard time refereeing. Poor commentary imo, red signalled in particular that the penalty was for a push in the back, and they've been raving about beggan not fouling the forward. Monaghan carrying the ball into contact too much. Game not over yet. Martin Reilly Cavan no 10 best player on the pitch in first half.

• Advertisement

Early and other commentator giving Lane a hard time refereeing. Poor commentary imo, red signalled in particular that the penalty was for a push in the back, and they've been raving about beggan not fouling the forward. Monaghan carrying the ball into contact too much. Game not over yet. Martin Reilly Cavan no 10 best player on the pitch in first half.

I don't listen to the commentary or half time analysis normally, but fair enough, was difficult enough to see the push from the footage.

Case and point, I checked to see if it was back on, and Dick bloody Clerkin is being interviewed

Monaghan missed the boat last August, miles are on the clock from 2013. Cavan are poor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Good win for Cavan. They played good football in the League and looked just a bit short up front.

Monaghan didn't look at the races at all today.

A nice run through the qualifiers might do them the world of good.

Wasn't a pretty second half, but brilliant result for Cavan. Delighted for them

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

The signs were there for Monaghan in the league
    Small panel of players
    A year too far

I’ll make a bit so bold prediction
    Either mayo or Dublin are gonna win it

Chances are I’ll be right anyway as Dublin prob will
    Probably .......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Ground work for that victory was done in the 1st half congrats to Cavan on a deserved win. Monaghan can re-group in the qualifiers but are unlikely to get such a favorable draw as last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Monaghan missed the boat last August, miles are on the clock from 2013. Cavan are poor as well.

They're hardly poor. :rolleyes: Played some lovely stuff in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Johner wrote: »
    They're hardly poor. :rolleyes: Played some lovely stuff in the first half.

Still look a poor side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

What boat was missed? at best they would have reached the AI final but would have suffered the same as Tyrone in the fnal. Well organized fully committed and pure desire to win is how i would describe Cavan tonight.

• Advertisement

Cavan done well tonight but Monaghan’s consistency under o rourke has been dire. Tyrone or donegal would not have slipped up tonight. For a small county like Monaghan, for all their effort since they revived in 2005 and since o rourke took them over, all Ireland final appearance would have been great for them. Of course Dublin would have won. It’s the beginning of the end for Monaghan, the spine of their team is 30
    Plus. They’ll remain competitive no doubt but will gradually float away. Cavan were full value tonight but I wouldn’t be getting carried away. Good luck to them

I fancy Galway and Armagh tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement