Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Camper insurance

• 31-01-2019 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I've just spent a lot of time and money getting my 04 Ford transit camper to a perfect van. I have all the nessesary documents. Cvrt, tax book, certificate of conversion, etc. Now it needs insurance. Dolmen just turned me down saying only that its my van. What ever that means. Its tested so it's obviously roadworthy. Stuart insurance said no because I need 4 years driving experience (I only have proof of 3). I've been driving almost 20 years. Im at somewhat of a lose right now. :(.... Any help at all would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

You can try campions, the clubs and as a last resort the insurance ombudsman.

Does the design of the van give Dolmen reason to believe that it might be used for work or something e.g. racevan style garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Big Irish jon

Does the design of the van give Dolmen reason to believe that it might be used for work or something e.g. racevan style garage.

Thanks for post. I don't know really. From the outside it looks just like a van but in my opinion the inside is far to nice to ruin by using for work. I have a wooden floor down that I wouldn't want to scratch. It is just plain white with one dark sealed window. They insured my father who's van I also converted. It is a year older than mine

I forgot to say I've just sent my photos to camper club ireland, so I will see how that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Hooked

I forgot to say I've just sent my photos to camper club ireland, so I will see how that goes

Is it a registered 'motorcarvan' on the log book, with VRT paid?

I've just completed a conversion of an 05 transporter. No pop-top, so had to join the motor caravan club (there are 2) and they just sorted my insurance via Richardsons. No one else will touch a conversion that has less than 1.8m internally.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Hooked

Also, how have u only proof of 3 years no claims if you're driving 20?

The motor caravan club will take 3 years, but 5 is preferred for 'full' discount.

• Advertisement

Hooked wrote: »
    Is it a registered 'motorcarvan' on the log book, with VRT paid?

I've just completed a conversion of an 05 transporter. No pop-top, so had to join the motor caravan club (there are 2) and they just sorted my insurance via Richardsons. No one else will touch a conversion that has less than 1.8m internally.

Hope this helps.

It is registered as campervan from the revenue which is a whole different commotion. I have cvrt and my van is over 1.8m high

Hooked wrote: »
    Also, how have u only proof of 3 years no claims if you're driving 20?

The motor caravan club will take 3 years, but 5 is preferred for 'full' discount.

I wasn't driving for a while and am now on my father's insurance for nearly 3 years I think. I have to go to insurance branch later to get the right dates

I've just spent a lot of time and money getting my 04 Ford transit camper to a perfect van. I have all the nessesary documents. Cvrt, tax book, certificate of conversion, etc. Now it needs insurance. Dolmen just turned me down saying only that its my van. What ever that means. Its tested so it's obviously roadworthy. Stuart insurance said no because I need 4 years driving experience (I only have proof of 3). I've been driving almost 20 years. Im at somewhat of a lose right now. :(.... Any help at all would be appreciated.

Apparently I don't even have 1 year driving experience because we didn't have a car for a little while. Not my fault.

Insurance ombudsman is probably next course of action in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

If it's under 1.8m and doesn't have a pop top, then the motorcaravan club of ireland is your best bet.

They may want to get another inspection by their own assessor to ensure it has a decent fit out ... so isn't a half arsed conversion just to get cheap insurance.

But that's your best bet there.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭andy t

Maybe send photos to the insurance company to prove its a camper & not a "work van"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

The insurance ombudsman isn't a last resort. It's an admission of defeat. The brokers/clubs are the last resort. Should they fail, then in this wonderful insurance farm of a country, it's "hard cheese" for you.

You go to the ombudsman with your refusals, he points at a company and with an ear-to-ear, **** eating grin, the company faces you with a quote of seven and a half thousand euros - their legal obligation to provide you with a quote fulfilled.

Unless your surname is McIlroy, the ombudsman is the end of the road.

Marlow wrote: »
    If it's under 1.8m and doesn't have a pop top, then the motorcaravan club of ireland is your best bet.

They may want to get another inspection by their own assessor to ensure it has a decent fit out ... so isn't a half arsed conversion just to get cheap insurance.

But that's your best bet there.

/M

I'm talking with the motercaravan club at the moment. Weekend now so I have to wait until Monday to get some paperwork scanned and printed

andy t wrote: »
    Maybe send photos to the insurance company to prove its a camper & not a "work van"

I have photos on file. Its quite obviose that it's not a work van. I have asked dolmen for an explanation and am waiting on a reply

I have photos on file. Its quite obviose that it's not a work van. I have asked dolmen for an explanation and am waiting on a reply

I'd say you will need the ombudsman to get a reply, but given you said "Apparently I don't even have 1 year driving experience because we didn't have a car for a little while." I think that's your best option anyway.

I've decided to get my father to insure it. Now there is a new problem. He has everything needed except a utility bill in his name. Everything is in my mother's name. He has bank statements but they won't except them. Wtf am I supposed to do. I'm caught everywhere I turn. Also dolmen said they tried again but still no go. Still no explanation I must add. Grrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I've decided to get my father to insure it. Now there is a new problem. He has everything needed except a utility bill in his name. Everything is in my mother's name. He has bank statements but they won't except them. Wtf am I supposed to do. I'm caught everywhere I turn. Also dolmen said they tried again but still no go. Still no explanation I must add. Grrrrrrrrrrr

You'll probably have to store it and wait until insurance gets crazy enough, that more-cash strapped families choose mortgage repayments over insurance and legislators are forced to intervene, derestrict it, cap payouts - and most importantly of all - ban, or at the very least severely restrict, any insurer gambling on the bond markets just to keep the insurance gravy train chugging :/

A man can dream..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nedzerkelly

So I have the camper, and now for insurance, Stuarts say in their geographical section of their policy that only Ireland & UK is covered, Dolmen say they will cover minimum indemnity requirements while in Europe, so how do people here insure their camper if they want to travel to Europe which thousands do every year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So I have the camper, and now for insurance, Stuarts say in their geographical section of their policy that only Ireland & UK is covered, Dolmen say they will cover minimum indemnity requirements while in Europe, so how do people here insure their camper if they want to travel to Europe which thousands do every year ?

Under EU law you have the minimum level of insurance required in any EU/EEA country with every policy. The higher level is what they can restrict, usually to 90 days a year, but some don't.

Advertisement