Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMENTS THREAD FOR RANDOM PHOTOS LV

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'll miss it - that's where I went to see Amélie five times in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭redape99

gzoladz wrote: »
    Fox

48078125201_c06cc53bcc_c.jpg

Lovely fox photo gzoladz!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

New Home wrote: »
    Oh no! Is that The Screen in D'Olier Street? :( I didn't even know it was being demolished... Mind you, I haven't been in that part of Dublin in ages, I'm so out of the loop! Are they rebuilding it?

It's been closed for a while. You can still catch that usher statue in the foyer of the Savoy apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

New Home wrote: »
    I'll miss it - that's where I went to see Amélie five times in a row.

That 6th time could have kept it open :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They weren't showing it any more! So it's their own fault, really. :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

48128950532_df2ed21b5d_b.jpg

Would love to hear about the technique behind this shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

@Fixxxer, There is not a lot to it except the patience of the fly.

The image was taken with a loan canon Mp-e65 Macro lens. If I remember right at 3 times sizes. A ringflash was used to light the fly.

Image was F11 @ 1/125. ISO100 On a tripod.

The lens is a fantastic beast however the learning curve is huge, As you increase the size of the subject the light falls off something crazy and a lot of artificial light is required.
    It would be more at home in a studio setup than out of the field.
    Again thanks to the fly as you have to get damn close for focus (which is manual fixed meaning you have to move the camera back and forth to obtain focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

@DaireQuinlan

That photo - 'all that remains of the Screen' is brilliant-

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

agreed.
    the yeast company is safe for the short term anyway, IIRC, a planning application to extend doyles into it was refused.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, yeah the Yeast Company was bought a couple of years ago though, IIRC the guy who owned the place kept it going well into his 90's. Bowes have also been thwarted, they wanted to extend the pub all the way through into the Yeast Company building. Only a matter of time before someone with a wad of cash makes it go away. Best case scenario is the sign is retained with some novelty window dressing :-/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Bowes have also been thwarted, they wanted to extend the pub all the way through into the Yeast Company building.
    bowes is owned by doyles; they were already shot down over extending into the building beside them (i think ladbrokes is gone from there now)

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3459014,-6.2578186,3a,75y,173.61h,79.41t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1srHT1ef5dBqjfcJ5lWBEWcw!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656

Thanks guys, yeah the Yeast Company was bought a couple of years ago though, IIRC the guy who owned the place kept it going well into his 90's. Bowes have also been thwarted, they wanted to extend the pub all the way through into the Yeast Company building. Only a matter of time before someone with a wad of cash makes it go away. Best case scenario is the sign is retained with some novelty window dressing :-/

I saw this recently about the place.

Something like this should really be taken over by the state in some fashion. It's absolutely unique in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I use Firefox, which does not automatically down-scale large photos posted to boards, so huge photos look huge. There have been two posts recently that are straight out of the camera and are not 800 pl on their longest side, this being the latest: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111297402&postcount=907

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

cnocbui wrote: »
    I use Firefox, which does not automatically down-scale large photos posted to boards ...

:confused: I use Firefox, and for me that picture has been down-scaled from the original >4000px wide to a still excessive 1100-ish.

Report them I guess, and if they're removed enough times the posters responsible will get the hint eventually.

:confused: I use Firefox, and for me that picture has been down-scaled from the original >4000px wide to a still excessive 1100-ish.

You on a Mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Nope, aged laptop & Win7 (and legacy version of boards.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Has anyone seen Myksyk?
    Missing his weekly POTW results...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Here .... just holidays, work, sickness, life!!! About to update!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Myksyk wrote: »

Hi Myksyk,

Hope the sickness wasn't serious! The rest you will have to just cope with :)

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

I think we need to see the sick note (-:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

The dog ate the sick note.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Myksyk wrote: »

Phew...had me worried there!! ;)

48825401932_b3ed1d9725_c.jpg

What's the story behind this image?

Bat5h1t, woodworm and mold, would be my guess.

Auto-level-dog.jpg

Re: Pet Dog by Patrick Dinneen, on Flickr

Nice shot, hope you don't mind that my photography OCD got the better of me and autoleveled your pooch. ;)

Beasty wrote: »
    Wembley Stadium, 13 July 1985:

494165.jpg
    that was a fairly small, intimate gig, yeah?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,108 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

that was a fairly small, intimate gig, yeah?

Yeah! you can see I was quite close to the stage, so don't know how many there were behind me. Went on for an age though. Status Quo kicking it all off at 12, and Macca and the guys on stage before lights-out at 10pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Beasty wrote: »
    Yeah! you can see I was quite close to the stage, so don't know how many there were behind me. Went on for an age though. Status Quo kicking it all off at 12, and Macca and the guys on stage before lights-out at 10pm

What were Queen actually like? Did it seem like something special in the flesh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement