Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Racehorse to Riding

• 12-08-2018 8:35pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now, while I like the idea and think that TBs can offer lots after they leave the track, am I the only one feeling that it's the " big names" that win these classes? It makes for great publicity for them to be so successful, but I'm not sure they are always the best in the show class

Colin Tizzard and Davy Russell judged at the RDS. I'm sure both are very capable, but I think at least one judge should be a leisure/performance
    horse judge. Also the fact that Davy had ridden Don Cossack in races might be a bit of a conflict?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

Yep it seems to be the big names that crop up again and again. If it is to be judged as a purely 'best riding horse' show class then it would need to be looked at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I think the idea behind the class was a great idea and really shows that TBs can be used for 'normal' riding, not just for racing or fast work.

However, one of the disappointing sides to it is that the conditions of entry are done in such a way that the highest rated horses entered for the class get the 13 places (5 places are held for horses who qualify at qualifying shows):
    Classes

When: Sat 11 August, 13:05 - 14:35
    Where: Ring 1

30. THOROUGHBRED, mare or gelding, 4 years old and over.
    To be ridden by riders who have attained their 16th birthday by 1 January 2018 (Restricted to 18 entries).
    Aim

To showcase successful Irish bred or trained racehorses as useful and suitable riding horses. The horses entered in this class should demonstrate quality, substance, bone, correct conformation, presence and true action.

The class may include racehorses of hack, riding horse or hunter types with the best of type being judged the winner.
    Entry Fee

RDS Members: €306 each entry; Non-Members: €331 each entry.
    Rules

This class is open to thoroughbred horses only. This class is open to ‘Irish Bred’ horses and / or foreign bred horses that have been trained (for racing) in Ireland for a minimum of one year.

The winner of the open Racehorse to Riding Horse class at the following Shows will also be given an invitation to this class;

Northern Ireland Festival, Cavan Equestrian Centre, Co. Cavan - Friday 20 April

Armagh County Agricultural Show, Gosford Forest Park, Co. Armagh - Saturday 9 June

Gorey Agricultural Show, Clonattin, Gorey, Co. Wexford - Saturday 16 June

Cork Summer Show, Curraheen, Co. Cork - Sunday 17 June

Athlone Agricultural Show, Athlone, Co. Westmeath - Sunday 24 June

Please note only competitors who place 1st at the invitational events will receive an invitation, no reserves will be taken.

Please note once a combination obtains an invitation they are not permitted to compete in any further invitational events. If the combination competes in a second invitational event, they will be eliminated from the event and forfeit their invitation to the Show.

Please note the number of entries in this class will be restricted to 18 (inclusive of the 5 invitations), if more than 18 entries are received horses will be selected (exclusive of the 5 invitations) based on highest official earnings as recorded by the Racing Post database on the 29th of June 2018.
    Judging

To be judged on the ride, manners and conformation. Judges will ask the class to gallop. Judges may ride some of the exhibits and may require individual shows from as many as time allows. The individual show, if required, must not exceed 2 minutes and should include walk, trot, canter, a simple change at canter, rein back, strike off on required leg, gallop on, halt and stand still. There will be a strong emphasis on manners, ride and training.
    Awards & Prizes

The number of prizes awarded is based on the number of animals catalogued. For more information please click here

1st €595
    2nd €415
    3rd €320
    4th €222
    5th €160

Cups & Trophies

Cup No. 161 – Perpetual Challenge Trophy presented to the winner of the Racehorse to Riding Horse class.
    Parade

Champion and Reserve Champion are required to participate in the Parade of Champions on Sunday 12 August. Further details available here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The Don Cossacks of the world will invariably have a good retirement . Your slow gelding who may have never won much is the kind who needs to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

They had low numbers this year, 17 entries in the programme but I believe only 11 turned up and I assume that included the 5 invitations. Now whether that is as a result of people with lower rated horses feeling they have no chance and not bothering, I don't know.

Don Cossack did stand out anyway, nice big quality horse, nearly black in colour, worthy winner.

Its now a tradition to have a big name jockey as the ride judge. Paul Carberry, Tony McCoy, Norman Williamson have all done it in recent years. Crowds like to see names like that or the likes of Davy Russell in the full tweed and bowler hat get up. If they use a big name jockey as a judge, yes he is going to have links with some of the entries and connections more so than others, but basically I think its a showcase or fun class and most of the entrants seem happy to be there and don't take it mega seriously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I think it's a pity that they are restricting it to the high class horses, when, as you say, byhookorbycrook, they'll have a good retirement anyway. Many horses out there that don't make it to Grade 1 are also good ambassadors for the sport and show that you don't need to have a Grade 1 winner to have fun and success in the show ring.

As for the judges: I assume that in addition to wanting the big name, they want to have someone who'll know how to get the most out of the horses and are familiar with TBs.

And I definitely don't think it's just a 'fun' class - it's exceptionally competitive with everyone wanting to do well. The only time I saw it as more a 'fun' class was the first year when the IHWT entered a huge number in the class (most with IHWT before the racing name). And that was really for publicity and to support the class rather than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Def. not a fun class, too expensive! Maybe 2 riding judges then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

convert wrote: »
    I think the idea behind the class was a great idea and really shows that TBs can be used for 'normal' riding, not just for racing or fast work.

However, one of the disappointing sides to it is that the conditions of entry are done in such a way that the highest rated horses entered for the class get the 13 places (5 places are held for horses who qualify at qualifying shows):

300 EURO FOR YOUR ENTRY FEE :eek:

I think its a great class though :)

Advertisement