Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How hard is it to get the rolex you want

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Cyrus wrote: »
    hulks appear to be on a non stop increase

i wonder are they actually achieving these prices?

Hard to know. I have been keeping an eye and sales seem slow enough. The one below has been there at least a month.

https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/Submariner/116610%20LV/16940/item/121741

893bet wrote: »
    It’s true though! You could get a 5167 for 14k gbp 12 months ago (just a tad above list price).
    You won’t get one for less than 17 k gbp now on a private sale. Even that might be a stretch with WF selling for 21k +.

Can see a price rise on the 5167 this year similar to how the 5711 was hit last year as grey prices were so far ahead of list. Prices self ADs were raised 20%. I think greys surged even more then for second hand.

The above a post from me 10 weeks ago. 5167 were 21-22k gbp on watchfinder.

One there now at 26K gbp.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%20Philippe/Aquanaut/5167/1A-001/9567/item/122034

WF are pushing prices up at an incredible rate. Hard to see them selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

As the old saying goes.. they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them and those prices seem excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

This is a form of madness now. Funnily I was asking a Rolex ad if Tudors were flying out with the lack of any sports watches....he kinds said no...people are willing to wait/pay for the rolex. I am off the London in a few weeks I will have a good mooch around the shops and wee whats going on there. With Brexit around the corner and sterling potentially volitile if might be worth holding off for a while more......

I feel the Euphoria phase is coming to an end and everyone is working on the "greater fool" principle. Anxiety is coming next.

bubbles1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

This is a form of madness now. Funnily I was asking a Rolex ad if Tudors were flying out with the lack of any sports watches....he kinds said no...people are willing to wait/pay for the rolex. I am off the London in a few weeks I will have a good mooch around the shops and wee whats going on there. With Brexit around the corner and sterling potentially volitile if might be worth holding off for a while more......

I feel the Euphoria phase is coming to an end and everyone is working on the "greater fool" principle. Anxiety is coming next.

bubbles1.jpg

theres a thread on tz-uk with people posting what rolex are available at ADs, it appears s/s sports models just arent available in London, but i hope you spot something!

• Advertisement

Hopefully fall off a cliff! Too many watches out of reach.

Unlikely to follow that trajectory IMO without a massive global downturn economy wise. I don’t think brexit would be enough. These watches are just as in demand globally. ADs in Ireland get calls everyday from America, Asia, Australia etc.

Not sure if many people are hold watches as “investments” that would panic and sell then. Or how many are in debt for that investment and are reliant on price increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

Unlikely to follow that trajectory IMO without a massive global downturn economy wise. I don’t think brexit would be enough. These watches are just as in demand globally. ADs in Ireland get calls everyday from America, Asia, Australia etc.

Not sure if many people are hold watches as “investments” that would panic and sell then. Or how many are in debt for that investment and are reliant on price increases.

Can anyone remember what the Rolex market was like from 2009 on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Patek Philippe standard blue dial nautulus 5711 has gone up to crazy prices too. Somehow the demand has gone up, you can't get them new, so the €25k watch (steel, blue dial) is going for closer to €50k.

When your inside, invested or excited by a bubble you always think like that, soft landing, continuous upward trend without end, bubbles are by their very nature self contained systems and pop without external influence, they pop quicker if something big happens.

Rolex is like property, demand is high, supply is low, investors are in the market, hype and inherently bad value. I dont know when it will go south but it will. My grail SS Daytona is still looking very far away, buy the time its at a point I am willing to pay my confidence to pay that will be gone.

Not sure about Patek, dont know that much about the brand. I would have to acceed to the more expert opinion of others on that one.

When your inside, invested or excited by a bubble you always think like that, soft landing, continuous upward trend without end, bubbles are by their very nature self contained systems and pop without external influence, they pop quicker if something big happens.

Rolex is like property, demand is high, supply is low, investors are in the market, hype and inherently bad value. I dont know when it will go south but it will. My grail SS Daytona is still looking very far away, buy the time its at a point I am willing to pay my confidence to pay that will be gone.

Not sure about Patek, dont know that much about the brand. I would have to acceed to the more expert opinion of others on that one.

Patek is the very same, limited supply of s/s models, the irony is for the premium now attached to a 5711 you could buy a precious metal complicated model.

Daytonas have always been harder to get, i had a 116520 that i got at just about retail and sold it 6 months later :( but its an underwhelming enough watch on the wrist, pretty dainty.

• Advertisement

Not invested or excited by the bubble. Bemused and amazed at the price increases. That said, watch finder is no measure of actually market price.

It’s a nuisance not being able to source watches; one must remember that they are not really rare, only rare at RRP.

I just don’t think brexit will be big enough event to impact the global price/demand for Rolex without a huge change in supply strategy from Rolex which is what is driving demand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

username?! wrote: »
    Can anyone remember what the Rolex market was like from 2009 on?

Dunno about back then, but when I started looking at Subs maybe 2 or 3 years ago, they were very readily available in ADs and there were some second hand SubCs selling for under 5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

Eoin wrote: »
    Dunno about back then, but when I started looking at Subs maybe 2 or 3 years ago, they were very readily available in ADs and there were some second hand SubCs selling for under 5K.

Depressing now that I am able to obtain one.

Well cyrus....look like you were right to get our of the daytona and into the BNLR. Rolex make a million watches a year, nothing is rare in the Rolex game. Its all a con job and marketing. We are just enthusiast corks bobbing in the rolex water.

Just back from London and had a look in about 3 AD's and every shop in Hatton Garden. Asked around a lot. Was looking for a SS Daytona but might as well has asked of a ride on the dealers wife.

If you want a datejust or a day date no problem loads of them
    I could have purchased a two tone balck dial GMT new for MSRP in all 3 AD;s
    There was a two tone daytona in two tone in one AD for 13k
    No Subs, No batman, No Hulk/Kermit.
    Yachtmasters - no problem.
    There was one airking.

So basically SS sports is not there.

Second hand....any watch you want except a daytona. Loads of black subs, loads of BNLR loads of hulks. Prices were around retail price on all these, but a lot of room to wiggle in that environment.

I am getting really pissed off with rolex at this stage...

Best thing I saw was a Daniels of London in the Brittish Museum, the watch collection there looked a lot like Wibbs collection to be honest :)

Just back from London and had a look in about 3 AD's and every shop in Hatton Garden. Asked around a lot. Was looking for a SS Daytona but might as well has asked of a ride on the dealers wife.

If you want a datejust or a day date no problem loads of them
    I could have purchased a two tone balck dial GMT new for MSRP in all 3 AD;s
    There was a two tone daytona in two tone in one AD for 13k
    No Subs, No batman, No Hulk/Kermit.
    Yachtmasters - no problem.
    There was one airking.

So basically SS sports is not there.

Second hand....any watch you want except a daytona. Loads of black subs, loads of BNLR loads of hulks. Prices were around retail price on all these, but a lot of room to wiggle in that environment.

I am getting really pissed off with rolex at this stage...

Best thing I saw was a Daniels of London in the Brittish Museum, the watch collection there looked a lot like Wibbs collection to be honest :)

S/h hulks and blnr available at retail with wiggle room? I’m surprised at that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I guess it's a small market with very little competition. I am never impressed by the used stuff in Weirs either, and it doesn't move quickly either. I'd put it down to being a small market in terms of both supply and demand.

S/h hulks and blnr available at retail with wiggle room? I’m surprised at that

most of the second hand dealers had maybe 1 or 2 BNLR in the window and all the shops group together so all competing with each other. Hulks maybe 4 or 5 available (total) and I saw 2 kermits. Funny saw no pepsi or cokes. I came within an inch (except for running late for my flight) of getting a Jajger Le Coultre master control or ultra thin moon....but thankfully they would have been filler watches and just delayed my Daytona....I was not really haggling on these watches but I was looking at a white ss daytona 2015 they wanted 13k for (retail is 11k). I said I would pay 10....he said no way, 12....I said 10,250....he said 11k and that bang on retail....that means the chap who sold it got 9k or 9500 max. Was not seeing any 14k BNLR's or the likes of that....The AD's kept telling the tale that brexit will trigger another price increase...but I sat in a huge watches of Switzerland for 45 minutes on regent street and was the only customer at 12pm on a friday afternoon...so I think the watch game is not as brisk as they would have you believe. What a beautiful shop BTW.

most of the second hand dealers had maybe 1 or 2 BNLR in the window and all the shops group together so all competing with each other. Hulks maybe 4 or 5 available (total) and I saw 2 kermits. Funny saw no pepsi or cokes. I came within an inch (except for running late for my flight) of getting a Jajger Le Coultre master control or ultra thin moon....but thankfully they would have been filler watches and just delayed my Daytona....I was not really haggling on these watches but I was looking at a white ss daytona 2015 they wanted 13k for (retail is 11k). I said I would pay 10....he said no way, 12....I said 10,250....he said 11k and that bang on retail....that means the chap who sold it got 9k or 9500 max. Was not seeing any 14k BNLR's or the likes of that....The AD's kept telling the tale that brexit will trigger another price increase...but I sat in a huge watches of Switzerland for 45 minutes on regent street and was the only customer at 12pm on a friday afternoon...so I think the watch game is not as brisk as they would have you believe. What a beautiful shop BTW.

Daytona retail is more like 9/9.5k tho right or has it increased?

Hulk or blnr at retail is hard to believe? Retail is 6.5 k pounds ish.

One sold on tz for 8.5 this week in a few minutes. A good bar of second hand prices.

• Advertisement

Daytona retail is more like 9/9.5k tho right or has it increased?

Daytona is 11600 euro rolex price on their website....AD's stick another grand or so on cause they can. So a new ceramic bezel is about 12k euro and second hand around 19k euro.

BNLR second hand asking 9-9.5k euro, didnt see one over 10k , retail around 7.5-8k euro from a AD most of the second hand dealers will sell around retail when pushed cause they have a few. I would consider 8.5 gbp around right neither a good deal nor a bad one. Its nice have a watch you can wear and sell without loosing any money except the oppertunity cost, but I was surprised to see so many in windows.

Hulks were around the same but less common, Kermits were much more expensive. i have to say I was more interested in availability than price so my figures are around + or minus a grand and when your looking in windows you dont know the history condition, box papers or year of the watch...but availability of subs was ok second hand...non existent from AD's.

Daytona is 11600 euro rolex price on their website....AD's stick another grand or so on cause they can. So a new ceramic bezel is about 12k euro and second hand around 19k euro.

BNLR second hand asking 9-9.5k euro, didnt see one over 10k , retail around 7.5-8k euro from a AD most of the second hand dealers will sell around retail when pushed cause they have a few. I would consider 8.5 gbp around right neither a good deal nor a bad one. Its nice have a watch you can wear and sell without loosing any money except the oppertunity cost, but I was surprised to see so many in windows.

Hulks were around the same but less common, Kermits were much more expensive. i have to say I was more interested in availability than price so my figures are around + or minus a grand and when your looking in windows you dont know the history condition, box papers or year of the watch...but availability of subs was ok second hand...non existent from AD's.

I thought you were referring to gbp!

Daytona is around 9/9.5 (not sure after price rise ) in gbp so to get an older model for 11k is around what I’d expect .

UK rrp is still around 7 percent or so less than euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Would the new warranty details on the Jomashop site make people any more confident in buying something big off them?

That granny should be given a hulk from the AD what a legend. Still though she should have stayed out of it, dangerous for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I think she was originally heading up there to complain about the waiting list

Dam beat me to it. Was going to say she was second on the list for a Daytona :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

I really want an SS Rolex too.. I would be happy with one of Submariner, GMT Pepsi or Daytona.

The situation with grey dealers accumulating new stock and pumping prices is such a major PITA. I refuse to buy one from there and would rather go without while trying to buy new from Rolex.

I've heard it said that stainless models are easy enough come by in more eastern countries like Dubai and China/Japan as they have more of an affinity towards precious metals / stones.

You never know, in China they might even be readily available to buy in retail boutiques (Just ensure the store is authentic)

Good luck in your journey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have been in the Middle East for near on ten years and have not found that the case. I even had a cannuck friend here change his holiday plans, although he wanted to visit Ireland anyway, as he had been trying to get a SS Daytona here then one came up in Galway so he picked it up there with me.

5 year old blnr on watchfinder is 10.5k euro.

New 1-2 years old 11.1k-11.4k euro

Keep on jumping. Still tempted by the blnr on adverts just to sit on it for 12 months and see where it goes but not worth the hassle.

Edit 5167....24k Euro on wf now.

Posted the above last August.

New BLNR was around 11.5 asking price on WF. Last month they were around 13k.

Since today they have done the below....almost 15 grand asking......

https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/GMT%20Master%20II/116710%20BLNR/23940/item/131543

Doing their best to cash on them being “discontinued” technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

And it sold 15k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

The BLNR was selling for silly money recently as there was a rumor it would be discontinued. At Baselworld this week Rolex released a new version with an increased standby and a jubilee bracelet.

Now it’s confirmed it’ll be around for the foreseeable future BLNR prices will likely soften.

Advertisement