Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Racing Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

marvin80 wrote: »
    Even if online streaming is taking off having tv coverage is still very important.

Take for example casual viewers - if I'm going through the Sky Sports channels and see a La Liga match I'll probably watch it to see if it's any use.
    It's online now and there's a very small chance I'll go looking for it.

Irish Racing coverage is being screwed and putting it online is only going to further damage it.

I'm labouring the point at this stage, but sky satellite subscriptions are hemorrhaging at the moment. The future of sport is people picking and choosing what they want to watch via online platforms ( two people in the last few posts have specifically referred to La Liga now only available online - so don't tell me it can't potentially be a positive ) - in any case no one channel surfs and stops to see who is winning the 2.15 in Ballinrobe unless they have a specific interest in the race. The argument to me isn't valid. I might not be right but that is just my opinion

How many UK meetings aren’t shown on Stephens Day as well? It’s a pretty exceptional day in the racing calendar to be using to bolster an argument.

Fair point. St. Stephen's day has been used to further the crowded fixtures arguments in some other posts though in fact it is one of the first posts in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Fair point. St. Stephen's day has been used to further the crowded fixtures arguments in some other posts though in fact it is one of the first posts in the thread.

Ah ok, I hadn’t seen that. I know what you’re saying about the future, nothing stands still and sometimes we got to accept change however much it discommodes us. But Uefa is just one body concerned with falling viewership from games not being available on terrestrial tv. There could be some rowing back on that front, hard to be certain.

As regards Irish racing the future of broadcasting could change, but I think for the sake of a couple of million they made a poor decision to abandon atr at this time. For a sport that gets such a generous slice of the public purse, it strikes me as a decision that is not in the interest of the majority of that public. Could be wrong but have a feeling they will be regretting it within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭antietam

Course managers I have spoken to have no Idea how the loss of ATR individual course funding is to be replaced as the HRI have not held any meetings to Inform course managers of the new deal with RUK.The feeling remains that certain courses could at best have their meetings reduced or at worse have all meetings canceled.There is little doubt that HRI will plow their Ill got gains into a small number of tracks with excessive prizemoney for uncompetitive 4/5/6 horse races.HRI have refused to answer questions on their outlook for Irish racing going forward over the next six years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The number of racing fans will steadily decline unless new and younger adherents are continually attracted to the sport.
    The American racetracks made the disastrous decision to discourage television coverage as they feared it would encourage illegal off-course betting. The results was that millions of potential racegoers who watched sport on television had no idea whatsoever of the spectacle and atmosphere of a racetrack. Other sports gained widespread media coverage and a national following. their stars becoming national figures whilst names like Shoemaker, Whittingham and Stephens were unknown except to convinced racing fans.

The Thoroughbred Business by Jocelyn De Moubray (1987)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Unless RUK opened a section channel they were never going to show all Irish racing meetings. Its just impossible. They knew this. Now they have all the retail rights, they are doing what they want.

Stand in a bookies and look at the amount of split screens and second and third screens such is the overlaps between meetings.

Even better, point your satellite dish at 4.8E and you'll see the number of channels each bookie has (the encryption of which has been broken for the last 3 years but thats another story).

The bookies are running the show. They want punters in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

STB. wrote: »
    Unless RUK opened a section channel they were never going to show all Irish racing meetings. Its just impossible. They knew this. Now they have all the retail rights, they are doing what they want.

Stand in a bookies and look at the amount of split screens and second and third screens such is the overlaps between meetings.

Even better, point your satellite dish at 4.8E and you'll see the number of channels each bookie has (the encryption of which has been broken for the last 3 years but thats another story).

The bookies are running the show. They want punters in shops.

No they don't
    They want them betting online. They can mine all data there and study behaviours and patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    No they don't
    They want them betting online. They can mine all data there and study behaviours and patterns.

While I’m not sure precisely what influence bookie firms exert over Irish racing broadcasts, it goes without saying they most certainly want footfall in shops where they continue to draw the majority of their revenue. Which is why the likes of PP continue to expand its high street presence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

https://www.racinguk.com/racingukoffers/blackfriday

€12 a month for the next 12 months for RUK. I'll be taking them up on this offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Zarkandar

The Mig wrote: »
    https://www.racinguk.com/racingukoffers/blackfriday

€12 a month for the next 12 months for RUK. I'll be taking them up on this offer!

If you're on Virgin TV (not sky), do you know how you hook up your subscription to your tv package (using this discount)?

• Advertisement

Says offer not available on Virgin Media

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

I think you will need an active sky sub also (min €29/pm?) if you want to record RUK on a skybox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Has anyone taken up the offer last week, there surely will be more between now and New Year’s Eve.

antietam wrote: »
    Course managers I have spoken to have no Idea how the loss of ATR individual course funding is to be replaced as the HRI have not held any meetings to Inform course managers of the new deal with RUK. HRI have refused to answer questions on their outlook for Irish racing going forward over the next six years.
    A few minutes ago I signed up for an evening course starting in February "Horses For Courses". I was on it about fifteen years ago.

One of the topics is "Role of Horse Racing Ireland".
    This "keyboard warrior" might bring along a few questions. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,374 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I never realised it was previously free to air ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Have many of ye taking out the sub or plan to?
    I don’t no if it’s worth is with two young kids in the house i don’t get to see dam all as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

naughto wrote: »
    Have many of ye taking out the sub or plan to?
    I don’t no if it’s worth is with two young kids in the house i don’t get to see dam all as it is

Same as I’ll play a waiting game as to what will happen? Will more tracks come back to sky in 2020?
    Couldn’t log in for Black Friday sale I’m sure more will be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

A few minutes ago I signed up for an evening course starting in February "Horses For Courses". I was on it about fifteen years ago.

One of the topics is "Role of Horse Racing Ireland".
    This "keyboard warrior" might bring along a few questions. ;)

Is that the course they ran in UCD & UL? I did it in UL when doing my Masters. I'm assuming its in UCD again. Got a fine umbrella out of it which I sadly lost :(

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    Is that the course they ran in UCD & UL? I did it in UL when doing my Masters. I'm assuming its in UCD again. Got a fine umbrella out of it which I sadly lost :(
    It is in the Talbot Hotel, Stillorgan (on the Stillorgan Road / N11).
    When I did it previously it was in UCD.

One of the highlights was when someone told the breeding speaker his numbers were wrong,
    e.g. a comment like "350 stallions were mated with 8,000 mares last year."

They said the numbers should be equal.
    I think they thought a stallion and mare got married, and went on honeymoon.
    Apologies if it was you who "corrected" the speaker. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I heard Brian gleeson say yesterday the Thyestes was going to be shown on Rte, hasnt been the last few years has it?
    Itv have a List of meetings available online showing which meetings they're covering well in advance, have rte got one somewhere? I've tried look in the past but can't find one :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

From reading press release sounds like Racing TV will be free in ireland for January with a month free to all potential subs at any point in January

So. ...free in January then take up free month from Jan 30th to take you up to Feb 28th. ...by then all decent horses be away till the festival.

Aintree will be on ITV punchestown will be on rte.....

After that I couldnt give a feck till galway. ....Which will be on rte lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

It is in the Talbot Hotel, Stillorgan (on the Stillorgan Road / N11).
    When I did it previously it was in UCD.

One of the highlights was when someone told the breeding speaker his numbers were wrong,
    e.g. a comment like "350 stallions were mated with 8,000 mares last year."

They said the numbers should be equal.
    I think they thought a stallion and mare got married, and went on honeymoon.
    Apologies if it was you who "corrected" the speaker. :)

No I did it in Limerick where the night the guy from HRI arrived and I suggested that they should market racing at students!

Good thing for people to go to as you get a couple of free racedays or used to at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I'm labouring the point at this stage, but sky satellite subscriptions are hemorrhaging at the moment. The future of sport is people picking and choosing what they want to watch via online platforms ( two people in the last few posts have specifically referred to La Liga now only available online - so don't tell me it can't potentially be a positive ) - in any case no one channel surfs and stops to see who is winning the 2.15 in Ballinrobe unless they have a specific interest in the race. The argument to me isn't valid. I might not be right but that is just my opinion

You were saying...............

http://www.laliganews.co.uk/23447/la-liga-broadcaster-eleven-sports-left-brink-uk-just-four-months-air/

Lol

Yukon Elle :)
    (name of a horse)

marvin80 wrote: »

That is interesting - but Eleven Sports have been poorly managed - they have not got themselves on all the platforms they need to be on : Amazon Prime etc. Racing TV need to get the platform out there - on Smart TV's, Fire-sticks - even a Sky app that you can access via the remote control. Any new technology's success is based on ease of access. I'm not sure of the relevance of Eleven Sports' failure to the discussion on Irish racing.

The big problem streaming sites have is piracy - that could certainly be the fly in the ointment.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure of the relevance of Eleven Sports' failure to the discussion on Irish racing.

You mentioned: The future of sport is people picking and choosing what they want to watch via online platforms

Eleven Sports offered this online platform and it failed. Obviously it isn't indicative that every online platform will fail but it's a bad start.

Advertisement