Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Go

• 29-01-2018 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Well might as well create the first megathread on the new forum.

Who's going to get an Oculus Go? What are your thoughts on it?

I personally will be getting one partly because I think it's going to open the floodgates to mass adoption of VR and I'd be interested in developing some apps for it, and also because I'd like to have a "cheaper" VR peripheral that I don't mind letting others use (ain't letting anyone touch my Rift buddy!)

I'll post up here when I get one later in the year. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

mrcheez wrote: »
    Well might as well create the first megathread on the new forum.

Who's going to get an Oculus Go? What are your thoughts on it?

I personally will be getting one partly because I think it's going to open the floodgates to mass adoption of VR and I'd be interested in developing some apps for it, and also because I'd like to have a "cheaper" VR peripheral that I don't mind letting others use (ain't letting anyone touch my Rift buddy!)

I'll post up here when I get one later in the year. :pac:

What’s the difference between Oculus Go and Samsung VR?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

kerplun k wrote: »
    What’s the difference between Oculus Go and Samsung VR?

Samsung VR as in the Gear VR?

Requires you use a specific phone model and the Go will have higher spec lenses (better than the Rift's apparently).
    No risk of phone battery dying etc.

Plus it will be circa 200-300 euro for an all in one standalone VR solution.

Will be popular with the nsfw set too I imagine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

No interest in Go, not yet anyway if I flew regularly I'd be on it is a shot but as it stands I'm more interested in wireless Vive or Rift at not TPLink cost or limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Samsung VR as in the Gear VR?

Requires you use a specific phone model and the Go will have higher spec lenses (better than the Rift's apparently).
    No risk of phone battery dying etc.

Plus it will be circa 200-300 euro for an all in one standalone VR solution.

Will be popular with the nsfw set too I imagine ;)

Apologies, yep I meant GearVR. I tried GearVR about a year ago and it’s not a good representation of VR.

I only have PSVR atm, I’d like to see how Go compares to this. If Go could bring a similar standard of VR as the PSVR, it would be very tempting. The portability would be great, but the big advantage here would be the use of the Oculus Touch controller. But if it’s just another watered down VR headset, Akin to GearVR, I’d stay well away.

The big weakness with PSVR for me is the pesky move controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is there a roadmap for the Rifts development in the future?

It seems like facebook don't really know what to do with Oculus

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

Probably will eventually be replaced by Santa Cruz

Note facebook have 400 new job openings specifically for VR

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-hiring-spree-suggests-facebook-is-accelerating-vr-ar-plans/

Great sign of things to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

My 1st VR use was on a Oculus DK1 in trinity college. I was amazed by the possibility's for the future. A few yrs later I got the GearVr and I must admit I really enjoyed it. Just before Xmas i picked up the Rift and have being blown away by the difference.

Chances are I will also pick up the Oculus Go at some stage. It might be handy for travelling on planes, trains etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

It seems like HTC don't really know what to do with Vive

https://www.vive.com/cn/product/vive-focus-en/

Companies can have products in different market segments you know!

Facebook money had very little effect on the specs of CV1 as the design was pretty much set in stone before they bought Oculus. Their money would have had more of an effect on the choice of materials and fit and finish of the CV1 and more hires to iterate the Rifts software and SDK and Store front end and back end etc. May have had more of an effect on Touch in that Oculus didn't have to rush a controller out like HTC and could afford to get it much more right without feeling pressure to launch with an unfinished controller to compete with HTC.

Its Gen 2 and beyond where Facebooks financial clout really comes into play with all their expert hires for Oculus Research etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Calibos wrote: »
    It seems like HTC don't really know what to do with Vive

https://www.vive.com/cn/product/vive-focus-en/

Companies can have products in different market segments you know!

Facebook money had very little effect on the specs of CV1 as the design was pretty much set in stone before they bought Oculus. Their money would have had more of an effect on the choice of materials and fit and finish of the CV1 and more hires to iterate the Rifts software and SDK and Store front end and back end etc. May have had more of an effect on Touch in that Oculus didn't have to rush a controller out like HTC and could afford to get it much more right without feeling pressure to launch with an unfinished controller to compete with HTC.

Its Gen 2 and beyond where Facebooks financial clout really comes into play with all their expert hires for Oculus Research etc

Calm down, calm down. Just pointing out that Facebook don't seem to really know what to do with oculus, long term. Although that said, since they undercut the Vive on price they've increased their market share a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Although that said, since they undercut the Vive on price they've increased their market share a lot.
    I managed to get it for $349 in the US at Black Friday :) Bargain

• Advertisement

Calm down, calm down. Just pointing out that Facebook don't seem to really know what to do with oculus, long term. Although that said, since they undercut the Vive on price they've increased their market share a lot.

???

They know exactly what they are doing with Oculus longterm? The end goal is combo VR/AR in the sunglasses formfactor owned by a billion people in about 10 years. Facebooks end goal is certainly more on the AR side of things and smartphone level ubiquity but luckily for us early adopters and VR focussed peeps, the path to AR/VR sunglasses technologically and literally runs through VR and PCVR and ConsoleVR mainstream adoption where the technologies needed for the endgame device is perfected and then miniturised in stages till we achieve the sunglasses form factor.

BTW, stop saying things like "Calm Down, Calm Down." :D Every time I make a counter argument to one of your posts does not mean my intention is to restart an old Rift-v-Vive debate. This isnt the first time you've reacted to a counter argument of mine this way, granted its a long time since we interacted previously. Dont worry, I know you are not having a go, I know you are not an anti oculus fanboy, so no need to tell me to calm down. i was simply making a counter argument to your point that you dont think Facebook know what to do with Oculus.

my intention is to restart an old Rift-v-Vive debate

Hey if we're gonna start one of those create a new thread for it as we've got the forum now :pac:

Throw in the PSVR / Microsoft's AR stuff / PiMax and GearVR too :)

Hey if we're gonna start one of those create a new thread for it as we've got the forum now :pac:

Throw in the PSVR / Microsoft's AR stuff / PiMax and GearVR too :)

Don't **** stir Mr Dairy Product! :D no selective quoting please. :D

I over-reacted to some Rift v Vive teasing by the lads many moons ago and our VR Bro Bambi has never let me live it down;) :D Upon reflection and re-reading last year I realised our boards Vive VR Bro's were teasing/slagging but I'd been so used to some real vitriol from certain quarters on reddit that I misinterpreted and over-reacted to the lads teasing here on boards.

Don't **** stir Mr Dairy Product!

Haven't you heard of "cheezing"??? Nothing dairy about it mate!

Now where's that blasted cat...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Will Go support games like Arizona Sunshine?

skankles wrote: »
    Will Go support games like Arizona Sunshine?

No it would be closer to on-rails GearVR games like Drop Dead (which I have on Rift as well and is actually really good).

It's VR-lite and more for "experiences" than the full-on headsets.

It has 3 degrees of freedom (detects when you look left/right, up and down), but not when you are crouching down like the Rift/Vive which have 6 degrees of freedom.

I'd say it would support things like Google Earth VR, which is great to have, and would be a fantastic way to relax or take up meditation. Good for cinema simulation too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Hopefully that Europe gets something close to that $199 pricetag

Well $199 is excluding US taxes, so it'll prob be €199 here incl VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I'm in two minds about Go just as I was about Google Cardboard 2 years ago. On the one hand it makes 'VR' more accessible but on the other hand it's not true VR (thus the quotes).

Regardless of resolution, frame rate, FOV, etc, you can never feel truly immersed in a 3DoF headset. Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy my GearVR for light-weight experiences. But regardless of how still you might think you're sitting when rotating your head (3DoF) the fact is you're always moving slightly through the other 3 axes so it'll never be a really comfortable experience, and the illusion of immersion will always be somewhat broken.

It's VR-lite admittedly, but great for portability and viewing movies etc.

Would never be a replacement for the full VR obviously but a great way to get newcomers involved which can only be a good thing for VR.

I have a few app ideas in my head already to develop when I get mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Nice preview from the guys at Tested here:

Will wait for user reviews but definitely thinking of picking one of these up for VR Cinema usage where the 3DOF tracking will suffice. Ive used my Rift in Bed for this purpose but its a literal 'stretch' and a PITA. The higher res panels combined with the RGB Stripe pixel arrangement combined with the Gen 2 Hybrid lenses compared to Rift should mean Movies look even better on GO than on Rift.

Ive used my Rift in Bed for this purpose

Go will be easier to clean with baby wipes

Go will be easier to clean with baby wipes

Oculus learned their lesson with the Black Cloth covered Rift. Thats why they went for a much lighter shade for the GO ;):D

Released today. Oculus reddit is going mad.

€219 for the 32GB version and €269 for the 64GB. Not too shabby!

Will be interesting to see how it sells.

Something disappointing that seems to be a bit overlooked is the battery life. 2.5 hours of video playback or 2 hours of gaming.
    That's simply not enough for a long haul flight. Think I'll wait til version 2.0.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Something disappointing that seems to be a bit overlooked is the battery life. 2.5 hours of video playback or 2 hours of gaming.
    That's simply not enough for a long haul flight. Think I'll wait til version 2.0.

Aye, but I guess you could bring along a battery power pack.

I'll be getting one anyway as a *cough* company expense.

Advertisement