Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

NYT now reporting that Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie have also revealed Weinstein harassed them.

It's absolutely revolting and I'm sure there's more to come. I only got half way through Ronan Farrow's expose and had to give up.
    The worst of it is, his board and company must have known about this for years. He's only been fired because he's been caught.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Before he was fired, Harvey Weinstein asked film insiders to defend him - whar a ****ing miserable mail this is:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/09/business/media/before-firing-harvey-weinstein-asked-film-insiders-to-defend-him.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

TBH it took about 20 - 30 years for all of the allegations against Jimmy Saville to fully come to light.

Think 'Icke' was publishing stuff on that fella for decades, Heath also mentioned, whom randomly appeared beside Jimmy on one of his 'fix it' tv shows. Back then it was all quickly regarded as 'tin-foil hat'.

Meanwhile, Sloth Weinstein is boarding a private jet Tuesday night, bound for a 'rehab' in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I must be the only who isn't shocked by this. People think the "casting couch" is a thing of the past. But it really isn't. TBH, I reckon there's many more who abuse their position in such a manner.

Hollywood is a deep, deep, cesspool.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

TBH it took about 20 - 30 years for all of the allegations against Jimmy Saville to fully come to light.

Longer, more like 50 years and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

todays reading contains some stomach churning stuff...

https://twitter.com/terrycrews

Ben Affleck, whose career began when he and Matt Damon made Miramax’s Good Will Hunting in 1997, has released a statement addressing news of over a dozen allegations of sexual harassment and assault by former Weinstein Company boss Harvey Weinstein. “I am saddened and angry that a man who I worked with used his position of power to intimidate, sexually harass and manipulate many women over decades,” he wrote. “The additional allegations of assault that I read this morning made me sick.”

rose mcgowan‏Verified account @rosemcgowan

@benaffleck “GODDAMNIT! I TOLD HIM TO STOP DOING THAT” you said that to my face. The press conf I was made to go to after assault. You lie.

Rose McGowan's anger, while justified is a little hard to take seriously given that she had no problem starring in a film directed by convicted child abuser Victor Salva in 2011.

It's awful what happened her and others and I imagine much worse will come out, but Hollywood will continue to protect its own. It's a place where no one cares what awful things you do as long as you make money. The allegations against Casey Affleck, largely ignored as he's on a roll.

Jessica Chastain and Brie Larson are about the only two actually standing up for victims but even then they are largely ignored. As Corey Feldman says, if he was to name his abusers he'd be facing a massive lawsuit and spend years tied up defending himself as t would be a he said, they said situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Tony EH wrote: »
    I must be the only who isn't shocked by this. People think the "casting couch" is a thing of the past. But it really isn't. TBH, I reckon there's many more who abuse their position in such a manner.

Hollywood is a deep, deep, cesspool.

As I said before, I doubt it's limited to just Hollywood.

As an aside, one of Weinstein's recent pushes was Cork's Sarah Greene. Has she made any statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Advertisement

p to the e wrote: »
    As I said before, I doubt it's limited to just Hollywood.

Oh, I have no doubt whatsoever that it's not limited to Hollywood. This kind of "winner" takes all mentality is rife in that kind of uber rich/powerful sphere, be it Hollywood, business or politics. These sociopaths, literally, think that they are untouchable, that they can do anything they want to "little" people, and they can buy everybody off...which it seems Weinstein was actually able to do for decades, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rose McGowan's anger, while justified is a little hard to take seriously given that she had no problem starring in a film directed by convicted child abuser Victor Salva in 2011.

It's awful what happened her and others and I imagine much worse will come out, but Hollywood will continue to protect its own. It's a place where no one cares what awful things you do as long as you make money. The allegations against Casey Affleck, largely ignored as he's on a roll.

Jessica Chastain and Brie Larson are about the only two actually standing up for victims but even then they are largely ignored. As Corey Feldman says, if he was to name his abusers he'd be facing a massive lawsuit and spend years tied up defending himself as t would be a he said, they said situation.

Did McGowan receive a settlement out of court from Weinstein?

Also did Casey Affleck also settle his case out of court too?

Whomever is hosting next year's Oscars wonder will some jokes be made about it

Some sick reading, vile pig

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the only surprise in all this is that there IS any surprise; given all the recent discussion of representation, racism, sexism etc. in Hollywood, it was obvious reading between the lines that much of the more sordid goings on was indeed still going on. It was only a matter of time before a big name was outed and the dam burst.

No more than the Jimmy Saville situation on this side of the pond, one thing that's also going to cause a lot of awkward questions and ruin careers will be the questions directed towards those who KNEW, yet never spoke up or did anything. Those (predominantly male) people who either knew, heard or saw these things going on and just said 'welp, that's Hollywood'. The victims should never be blamed for feeling they should stay silent, but those who were on the sidelines are pretty close to being as culpable as Weinstin in my eyes.

Unlike the Saville case though, Hollywood is a remorseless, insular & incestuous entity, and I suspect the outcome in all this won't be a proper investigation, but a circling of wagons while a sacrificial lamb is thrown to the media to appease everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, the only surprise in all this is that there IS any surprise; given all the recent discussion of representation, racism, sexism etc. in Hollywood, it was obvious reading between the lines that much of the more sordid goings on was indeed still going on. It was only a matter of time before a big name was outed and the dam burst.

No more than the Jimmy Saville situation on this side of the pond, one thing that's also going to cause a lot of awkward questions and ruin careers will be the questions directed towards those who KNEW, yet never spoke up or did anything. Those (predominantly male) people who either knew, heard or saw these things going on and just said 'welp, that's Hollywood'. The victims should never be blamed for feeling they should stay silent, but those who were on the sidelines are pretty close to being as culpable as Weinstin in my eyes.

Unlike the Saville case though, Hollywood is a remorseless, insular & incestuous entity, and I suspect the outcome in all this won't be a proper investigation, but a circling of wagons while a sacrificial lamb is thrown to the media to appease everyone.
    That could be half of Hollywood. McGowan seems to think that Affleck was well aware of it and he's nothing more than a fringe player.

Those (predominantly male) people who either knew, heard or saw these things going on and just said 'welp, that's Hollywood'. The victims should never be blamed for feeling they should stay silent, but those who were on the sidelines are pretty close to being as culpable as Weinstin in my eyes.

What about his occasional neighbour and receiver of millions in democratic fund donations Mrs H.Clinton - perhaps the one-time most powerful woman in the US, wasn't she even slightly aware of Weinstein?

All a bit reminiscent of her other similar buddy: Weiner, who has been sentenced to 21 months for sexting a junior.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What about his occasional neighbour and receiver of millions in democratic fund donations Mrs H.Clinton - perhaps the one-time most powerful woman in the US, wasn't she even slightly aware of Weinstein?

All a bit reminiscent of her other similar buddy: Weiner, who has been sentenced to 21 months for sexting a junior.

What about her? Those who knew and did/said nothing should not be immune from criticism or repercussions, and doubtless there were those outside of the film industry as culpable. Whether that includes Clinton, I'm sure the truth will come out, but the immediate reality is that it's shining a light on an industry whose existing reputation was well known, but un-talked of. That will hopefully start to change.

What about her? Those who knew and did/said nothing should not be immune from criticism or repercussions, and doubtless there were those outside of the film industry as culpable. Whether that includes Clinton, I'm sure the truth will come out, but the immediate reality is that it's shining a light on an industry whose existing reputation was well known, but un-talked of. That will hopefully start to change.

You suggested it was mainly males who knew. More likely it was the female victims themselves (but who opted for career progression).

It was also those with greatest power, knowledge and influence that may have been in the know, and these would have been in a better position to deal with the matter with ready access to powerful legal teams.

HC's close association with people such as Epstein, Weiner, Weinstein etc is all rather ugly, is it not?

Nice try in an effort to turn this into a Clinton bashing thread, but no dice. Clinton and the Dems made have been on the recieving end of donations from Weinstein, but there is zero evidence or reason to believe that she'd know anything about a man in a business that she dosen't operate in herself.

You suggested it was mainly males who knew. More likely it was the female victims themselves (but who opted for career progression).

It was also those with greatest power, knowledge and influence that may have been in the know, and these would have been in a better position to deal with the matter with ready access to powerful legal teams.

HC's close association with people such as Epstein, Weiner, Weinstein etc is all rather ugly, is it not?

Obviously the victims knew, but what I said was that in all likelihood, ala the Saville case, there was a 'look the other way' culture where those who circled the same approximate orbit as Weinstein chose to just feign ignorance - or worse, dismiss it as just part of the game, or blame the victims (that part perhaps not applicable to the Saville case). Based on the people coming forward & the testimonies proffered, those silences seem to have tended to be from similarly influential men in Hollywood, being as it is an already lopsided industry to begin with.

It's reductionist to just assume the victims merely got on with it through a pragmatic career decision, when the prevailing culture or mood is that nobody will either take you seriously, or stand up for you. The whole cesspit is practically a textbook example of an abusive environment, be it domestic or professional, which is why it has been resonating so much with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

While there's no doubt this is a tough time for Rose McGowan, I think she just needs to take a step back and let proceedings go their natural route.

Repeatedly lashing out at people on Twitter just goes to show how difficult this was for her, but it's not helping the situation. I hope she's getting the right supports to deal with the fall out as right now she doesn't seem to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,624 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So all this is old news to the women of Hollywood, they all sat back and let him sexually harass any new comers that crossed his path.
    That's pretty low if you ask me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So all this is old news to the women of Hollywood, they all sat back and let him sexually harass any new comers that crossed his path.
    That's pretty low if you ask me.

....It's the women's fault they didn't stop the physically imposing and very influential seemingly sociopathic male from repeatedly sexually assaulting vulnerable people?

Did you read the repeated mentions from victims about his repeated use of either threatened or actual career-destruction plus lawyering up? Or the mention of all the NDAs that accompanied previous settlements?

If Hollywood is like the rest of the entertainment industry (or, arguably, the rest of the world in general) then the women there are in general less influential and powerful by default than any man considered to have a broadly eauivalent (or even lesser) role or level of influence. So why is it the women's fault, and not the men's fault?

There's a lot of similarities between the Weinstein case and Jimmy Saville in the UK. It seemed to have been a known secret by people in Hollywood. Same way it was supposedly a known secret in the BBC.

This Have I Got News For You clip seems incredibly timely now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brevity

Even Louis Theroux got duped by Saville and people would have considered him fairly savvy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fysh wrote: »
    ....It's the women's fault they didn't stop the physically imposing and very influential seemingly sociopathic male from repeatedly sexually assaulting vulnerable people?

It never ceases to amaze that people try and blame women for things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Louis did find Jimmy to be a very strange individual even if he never could have guessed what he was up to. Stuff like keeping alcohol in his gaff even though he didn't drink. I also remember watching CBB when Saville was on it and found him to be a bizarre bloke.

With Weinstein though you always got the impression he was revered around Hollywood by both men and women without a hint of anything deeper going on. That's why I found it to so surprising that he turned out to be an oul creep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Louis did find Jimmy to be a very strange individual even if he never could have guessed what he was up to. Stuff like keeping alcohol in his gaff even though he didn't drink. I also remember watching CBB when Saville was on it and found him to be a bizarre bloke.

With Weinstein though you always got the impression he was revered around Hollywood by both men and women without a hint of anything deeper going on. That's why I found it to so surprising that he turned out to be an oul creep.

I thought he was perceived to be a bully back in the day, supposedly how he bought the rights to films and buried them, forced edits etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cara Delevingne has come out as well.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/918163984309784576

And here's an interesting clip of Paltrow talking about Weinstein (in a Weinstein-arranged interview no less) on Letterman in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

It never ceases to amaze that people try and blame women for things like this.

Is there no blame for the women who didnt speak out to help stop him getting access to the next young victim to end up on the predators radar?

• Advertisement

A lot of big heads are going to roll over the next year or so. This is really just the beginning.
    __..__ wrote: »
    Is there no blame for the women who didnt speak out to help stop him getting access to the next young victim to end up on the predators radar?

Not that simple. Weinstein probably had enough power to destroy these people's lives. Plus it'd be just their word against one of the biggest names in the industry. Also you're assuming that nobody came forward. We don't know that. It'll likely become apparent that many did, but were push them aside.

It's the exact same as Saville and his hundreds of victims. Many came forward with complaints. All were rubbished. It took him dying for everything to come out.

Advertisement