Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A smelly Avensis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Any updates !

I'll hopefully have some updates over the next few days, more mechanical this time!

I've been busy elsewhere with other project cars (406, E34 and the Z) I was hoping to bundle this into a combined post, but I still haven't even gotten round to putting the car on the lift let alone the timing belt yet! :o

It crossed over to 330k on Thursday :D

I recently changed the front brakes, both discs and pads as they were in dire need of replacement :eek:

YClodfJh.jpg

The pads were just finished :eek:
    mveYOx3h.jpg

And the disc must have been from new, at a guess
    szmWteDh.jpg

Yes, hairline cracks :eek:

I also cleaned up the sliders (amazing what crap builds up in a protected environment) and rebled the system. Brakes have been A1 since :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

Wow, they were lethal looking .. grinding much

Wow, they were lethal looking .. grinding much

Weren't grinding but certainly within a few more stops before it was metal on metal... That nearly happened with the rear slider when it stuck solid, or the new discs could have been scored! :eek:

On the plus side the car has new pads, discs and fluid now!

Bon dia ;)
    Say hello to Brownfinger:

Sorry thats trademarked :D

• Advertisement

Happy new timing belt!

B6JrPyfh.jpg

A particularly easy belt but a lot of fiddly bits to take off. Actual time spent on the job was about the 3 hour mark faffing about

3YSGmVGh.jpg

There are no special tools required, line up the marks and off with the tensioner then the belt. My hydraulic tensioner was seized solid, rollers whilst not bone dry were beginning to make noise. Not bad for what I can assume is 212k of a belt + rollers! :eek:

JRLwW0ah.jpg
    VgcFaldh.jpg

An extra pair of hands is handy to set the timing to take the slack out of the belt

KGNOZ7Nh.jpg

The car is noticeably quieter and that irritating infrequent squeak from the alternator belt is gone with 2 new belts.

Interval will not be left that long under my ownership :)

I taxed it too, so checkpoint friendly for now :D

Next on the list is the NCT in Feb (due at the end of April): I never got to look properly under the car but can only assume the brake pipes have had it. Apart from that I don't know what to expect as it shot through the last time... The second time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

One for the pigeon.
    If you had to choose between a Toyota avensis and your dream woman,what colour would your venny be.ha

One for the pigeon.
    If you had to choose between a Toyota avensis and your dream woman,what colour would your venny be.ha

Be greedy like me and have both :p

Still motoring happily anyway, rolled over 335k last week. Changed my driving style and I am now getting anywhere between 40-60 miles extra range.

Bit of a clonk starting to develop from the front left, my guess is either a droplink or balljoint, which I'll probably get from Mr T as opposed to my usual sources.

Hoping to have it long sorted for the NCT in Feb...! :D

Is it worth changing the gear oil in the 1.6 petrol as a precaution when they are prone to gearbox problems.

Is it worth changing the gear oil in the 1.6 petrol as a precaution when they are prone to gearbox problems.

If it were me, I'd have another gearbox with new bearings (input shaft) and change it or have it on standby.

Oil may help, but only prolongs the inevitable. My view anyway

• Advertisement

If it were me, I'd have another gearbox with new bearings (input shaft) and change it or have it on standby.

Oil may help, but only prolongs the inevitable. My view anyway

Cheers pigeon.its fine at the moment I’ll keep eye out for a gearbox in the scrapyard and have it reconditioned.no harm have one on the shelf incase I suppose

Can you recommend a good rotary polisher pigeon and where I could get one and for how much roughly.thanks

Can you recommend a good rotary polisher pigeon and where I could get one and for how much roughly.thanks

I couldn't really as the one I use is an old fixed speed B&D from the mid 80's (similar to this one) that's probably no longer made. For all the compounding + polishing I do, it's a fantastic job

If I were to buy a new one I'd make sure it had variable speeds, maybe the detailing forum would have better answers? As I wouldn't know how much you should be shelling out...

Sorry I can't help further! :(

No bother thanks

Still motoring away happily, now on 338k! Yet to book the NCT but soon.

Changed these on Sunday, stumbled on these by accident. €2 for the pair!

YV0buxrh.jpg

Covers being the fiddliest part, the job to change both took no longer than 5 minutes. Noticeably better in the dark too

Due an oil change in the next week or 2, which I'll use to check for obvious NCT failing material, then send it in :)

About time I dropped in here again...!

Not much to update, now at 346k. Since the last time:

Serviced (oil, air filter)
    Front tyres at 341k
    Thermostat + coolant
    Glowplugs
    NCT (required the 2 unicorn links to pass!)
    A replacement headrest
    New tail light (old one was full of water)
    A replacement headrest (old one resembled a stone)

That's really it I think...

We had the snow, I never got stuck and helped others when stuck!
    dPaglQdl.jpg

Did also discover one day where someone arsed into my car and drove off... Jokes on them that bumper is wrecked anyway :D
    XlvjidCl.jpg

Changed my plugs, 2 of which had failed (tested all with a multimeter)
    FxFh4hml.jpg

Thermostat. Side of the road job.... Hahaha yeah right! Access is limited, coolant needs to be refilled too, preferably with Mr T's finest. Despite the not overly shabby condition of the old thermostat it was failing as the car now heats up much faster than before
    ZWlNer9l.jpg

0cizpBsl.jpg

Old taillights were annoying me (water ingress prior to my ownership) so I swapped them. The foam seal behind never works properly again so I used the other foam from the new light with the old one. No water ingress in the new lights
    ryaSUHyl.jpg

NCT time: failed on advanced corrosion on the control links at the back
    7llgADWl.jpg

They were fairly crappy... But a supplementary set was sourced and fitted
    THMeMaml.jpg

Test passed!

I also lost my only key in the snow for a few days... When I get time, that won't happen again (full kit is elsewhere in the photo). Also, shear bolts don't stop me :cool:
    KpbVmZfl.jpg

Few bits of surface rust to sort under the car, more updates in due time!

Another week, another set of tasks!

First, converted the rear windows to electric. I often leave the rear window open when parked up and this makes things... Lazier!

Nothing to it, you change the door cards, regulators and looms on 3 doors. That's it really. It all bolts in, the whole job took about an hour. This included ripping the parts off the donor vehicle

The biggest job was changing the drivers door loom, as it is routed to above the accelerator pedal. Just for a few extra wires!
    03eAHGTh.jpg

Next, a quote from earlier:
    You should definitely put fogs into it, it will really finish the front off:D!

Seeing as I couldn't find a definitive answer if these would work or not, I had a rip at it myself

You need the stalk first with front fogs
    hVOdBmOh.jpg

Take off the bumper and remove the inserts. Or, leave it on and just crack it at the corners... Inserts are held in with 2 screws
    oPXrGKKh.jpg

Plugs are already there. These are a HB4/9006 bulb, you'll also need the retaining clip to screw the new insert/lamp onto
    uZa3r4sh.jpg

Plug it all in, doesn't work! I had to figure out myself where the additional relay was to plug in, it's near the radio. Also takes a standard Toyota relay. The blue one in this pic is the starter relay, the fog relay (grey, not pictured) goes in diagonally from it
    hnMBXXfh.jpg

Jobs a good one!
    wa0yCuYh.jpg

Had a scare over the snow regarding losing the only key, so instead of getting keys cut, I got a lock set with 3 keys (ECU isn't in this pic)
    3Cmc3Smh.jpg

You need:
    • Locks (door, boot)
    • Glovebox
    • Ignition barrel
    • Immobilizer
    • ECU
    • Antenna (optional)

Starting at the back: boot lock. Plastic clips for the cover, an extra metal cover, the link rod and 2 10mm nuts.
    9i0dYCfh.jpg

Door lock: One plastic cover and a T30 key. Jiggle it out, replace the colour of cover if needed and shove it all back in. If I didn't take this pic I'd have this done under a minute door open to door closed!
    nwovKHzh.jpg

Ignition: Remove the shroud to reveal the "anti tamper" shear bolts
    GNxMGKzh.jpg

Remove the stalks, disconnect the harness bracket and put those tamper proof bolts in the scrap pile
    YpsqeLdh.jpg

The immobilizer is behind the trip computer and is a nuisance to screw back in correctly without a long reach screwdriver. It's a black box with a galvanized bracket (in the pic above). The ECU also has to be changed, behind the glovebox. And the glovebox also has to be changed for the new keys, it conveniently stores your old lock set too!
    l3Zlkysh.jpg

Reassemble and test the whole lot
    MdJew9Gh.jpg

And yes, I have configured both remote keys to work the doors/boot with the key with a series of door flapping and key inserting/pull out method... This whole job took about 30 minutes start to finish.

And if anyone is wondering the cost of the above, I bought a donor car with all the goodies above for €300. Within days the car was a shell with doors and a boot!

I have a wheel bearing going (n/s front) so I'll be replacing that next, for another post!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

whats the heater switch in the right cluster ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

whats the heater switch in the right cluster ?

It's a power heater it was standard on them in colder climate countries for warming the car up from cold.

I have a wheel bearing going (n/s front) so I'll be replacing that next, for another post!

And here is that post! Almost 350k now

I have the spare one from the spares car fitted. Few bolts, driveshaft nut etc. Nothing to see you haven't seen before

As for the old wheel bearing... First, they're held on with a type of snap ring. Problem with this is one of the ends had broke away some time ago, so had to use alternative means to remove the ring... You can see why this one failed, the dust cover had vanished :confused: and allowed the grease to escape, to be replaced with dirt etc
    3Bnk3Syh.jpg
    iMD1ny2h.jpg

Out to the press and out with the hub itself, naturally it fell to bits. So just the 2 collars to remove
    3NhzuWnh.jpg
    AGEVuThh.jpg
    kVzRJWnh.jpg

The hub got a quick cleaning up
    Ef7ImlPh.jpg
    OUD5YL4h.jpg

I'll have to order in the new bearing, it's a bank breaking £12 for SKF!

My handbrake was annoying me (previous owners dog chewed the old one)
    Q3ui3Z9h.jpg

Pulled this one out of thin air
    SqwAbjVh.jpg

And this rare non broken part of the centre console
    b6jnmPHh.jpg

Tightened up and eradicated the imbalance in the parking brake while I had this off. All back, quick clean, great result!

More stuff in due time, the shocks could do with replacing now that I have a spare set! :)

• Advertisement

About time I dropped in again! Now at 360k and climbing :)

I fitted 2 more tyres at 358k. Same brand as the other set, from 341k 2mm of thread was used. Happy with that!

Serviced at 360k, almost on the button (just 4km over) which included oil + filter & air filter. Running like a clock in that dept

I haven't got round to fitting the shocks yet though :o

However, more importantly the other bearing decided it had enough and began to resemble the scream of a low flying jet from relatively low speeds. So, I ordered in 2 bearings + 2 ball joints and replaced the lot in one Saturday

weP0M45h.jpg
    389DJwwh.jpg
    IAHiTH9h.jpg
    oNOd7uNh.jpg

Total cost for parts: €50

The difference was very noticeable immediately! Naturally the tracking was off too; this was seen to on the bank holiday Monday (shout out to kilianmanning for use of the pit + equipment), the toe is dialed in the way I want with the steering wheel centered. Input responds much better :cool:

4 shocks and front drop links to fit at some stage, rear back plates and clutch if I'm arsed enough too! Which would leave the car mechanically sound once again :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Jesus.... took half an hour to myself to read through this thread. Class. I'm a sporadic visitor to the motors forum but the amount of stuff you get through:eek:. Your posts are top notch... you are spoiling us with the photos, I find myself scroll scroll scrolling to get to the next post hoping to see more!

Keep up the good work.

Time for a sporadic update! We're now at 365k

Wasn't happy with the way the car responded in the corners for a while, coupled with the backing plates and curiosity of the condition overall, over the weekend I decided to overhaul the rear of the car. Parts were there anyway and the only cost was a tin of anti rust paint. There will be a follow up to this in due time!

So we start off with a rear subframe assembly
    IQmWaFQl.jpg

Taking off the heavy pitting and rust with a flapwheel
    k4e0PRLl.jpg

All painted up and left to dry
    eyLqYAHl.jpg

Inside to prep for the next day, seats out
    5zgVO5pl.jpg

This is to access these nuts for the suspension. That'll do for the evening
    JP4aKOpl.jpg

Starting the next day. Pads are in need of replacement. I'll order a set this week. Do bear in mind this was originally a roadside repair on a Sunday!
    yF9oWmAl.jpg

Backing plate in all it's crusty glory
    CssgWrkl.jpg

Process is simple: exhaust off, disconnect your calipers and handbrake, then ABS sensors, then remove all mounting nuts and bolts. This is easy when the car isn't covered in years of crust and dirt!
    Sqyxqpjl.jpg
    UMxUcr3l.jpg

When all is removed lower everything down, undo the strut nuts and back up. Buckrake tooth or a tyre lever to fully release the struts
    rCA1Ccdl.jpg
    KxNliCOl.jpg

Not a pretty sight
    7HW1jHCl.jpg

As much was cleaned off as possible and a coat of this stuff used
    zIdm5q9l.jpg
    vK3egckl.jpg

Each bolt/nut was cleaned of it's build up where I didn't have replacements
    AYNUQoel.jpg

Ready to go in
    KGHp1a6l.jpg

Fitted
    yQReEI6l.jpg

All back together. The interior was done the next day
    BfuL9XKl.jpg

Result: back to being glued to the road with no sloppiness, very pleased with the result!

This took about 7 hours, most of which was spent cleaning and painting etc

More stuff to do in due time!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Enjoying this, I have a 08. Waiting patiently for your cruise control install.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Following this! I just bought an 05 1.6 vvti. Went to breaker yard, have bought fog lights (need to go back for the stalk), towbar, centre armrest and 17” alloys from a t spirit. The Car has 430000 kms, bought from a friend who had new engine gearbox and clutch fitted in the last year! Only problem is the color.... brown!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

weekaizer wrote: »
    Following this! I just bought an 05 1.6 vvti. Went to breaker yard, have bought fog lights (need to go back for the stalk), towbar, centre armrest and 17” alloys from a t spirit. The Car has 430000 kms, bought from a friend who had new engine gearbox and clutch fitted in the last year! Only problem is the color.... brown!
    The brown can be quite nice if you polish it up.

weekaizer wrote: »

I would have loved if my own was brown, it is called brownfinger after all and has a smiling poop as an air freshener :D

If you have trouble finding the fog relay let me know and I'll take a (better) pic of where it is. It is all genuinely plug and play

Seeing as I'm here now... I don't have much to report, it's turned into a builders car hauling tools and materials to do up a house... I robbed some of the bolts holding the radio in to fix a fireplace in said house :p currently on 372k, next major job is the clutch as it is starting to affect my knee (a fairly heavy unit, I'm doing a lot of stop start these days) so I'll pull it off the road some Saturday and attack it, along with the likes of the 2 front shocks and drop links. Then NCT and who knows after that... ;)

Apart from that, it's still munching the miles in it's stride :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

I got my fogs fitted, piece of cake once you know where the relay goes! Armrest and alloys all fitted also. Went over the car with a dual action polisher and coat of wax actually turned out quite nicely!.
    Alloys really lifted the car also!
    Failed the test on rear brake hoses, front drop links, front discs, rear lower radius arms (same as OPs car),
    All replaced and NCT until 2020 now in the bag!
    Don’t know how to add pics from my phone unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

Great thread, some turn around.
    You hardly still have the spinning seat?

Advertisement