Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crew available / crew wanted

• 12-07-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I'm looking to do some crewing in July and August. I'm in the midlands so I'm relatively convenient to South Dublin, Wicklow and some of the Shannon lakes.

I have RYA Dinghy Level 1&2 since 2009. I've been sailing reasonably regularly since then, mostly single-handed in Picos. I've had numerous private lessons, and I've done lots of informal racing within the club. Aside from Picos I've also sailed (and helmed) the following boats: Tirion One Design, Squib, 1720, Laser 1, Gambeta, Hobie Holder 14, Hobie 405, Topper. Last weekend I crewed on a Beneteau First 21.7 for the full 4 days of the Dun Laoghaire Regatta.

If you have a spot for me, please get in touch.

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Hope you don't mind but I am also looking for some experience. Dun Laoighre if possible, but anywhere in Dublin will do.

Hi,

I would like to join you on your boat weekends in Dublin. I am looking to learn or be shown the ropes as it were. I am a fit and healthy male, 30 years old. If you are short handed I would love to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Donal, I can't tell you about Clontarf or Howth, but I race in Dun Laoghaire, and willing crew are like golddust!

All of the clubs have noticeboards where you can post a "crew available" notice - would be worth your while visiting each of them and sticking a notice up. Also, post on the ISA website http://sailing.ie/Racing/CrewAvailableWanted.aspx, doesn't look like it's too active at the moment but we've got crew from there before. And word of mouth is probably the best way of finding a boat - if you know anyone who's racing, tell them you're available and ask them to offer you to a boat needing crew.

And if all of the above fails, if you can, turn up at a club/clubs/marina in plenty time before racing and put it about that you're available - I'd be very surprised if you didn't find a spot on something!

The most important thing for a potential crew member is to be reliable - you can learn the ropes, and be taught all the technical things, but if you don't turn up on time / at all, you won't be asked back!!!

(We'd snap you up ourselves, we'll be in the market for crew next year, but have decided to mothball the boat for this season, so I'll be looking for a crewing spot myself this summer!)

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

i will most likely be looking for crew later on in the year when it warms up a bit, however i am not a racer, more long distance cruising , France, Spain, Med etc, sometimes its hard to get crew, for the long spins.

i will keep an eye on this thread so.

LH2011 wrote: »
    i will most likely be looking for crew later on in the year when it warms up a bit, however i am not a racer, more long distance cruising , France, Spain, Med etc, sometimes its hard to get crew, for the long spins.

That sounds great, but work (unless that changes) will keep me in the Dublin area. A trip to the Med sounds fantastic, but I am pretty inexperienced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

PM me with any details please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

cfitz wrote: »
    I'm looking to do some crewing in July and August. I'm in the midlands so I'm relatively convenient to South Dublin, Wicklow and some of the Shannon lakes.

I have RYA Dinghy Level 1&2 since 2009. I've been sailing reasonably regularly since then, mostly single-handed in Picos. I've had numerous private lessons, and I've done lots of informal racing within the club. Aside from Picos I've also sailed (and helmed) the following boats: Tirion One Design, Squib, 1720, Laser 1, Gambeta, Hobie Holder 14, Hobie 405, Topper. Last weekend I crewed on a Beneteau First 21.7 for the full 4 days of the Dun Laoghaire Regatta.

If you have a spot for me, please get in touch.

Cheers!

Hi cfitz.
    Didnt i offer you a berth before my boat sunk?
    Anyway it got back in the water in September for two coastal runs and is going fine.
    I have to rewire though :( -switches, radio, GPS, nav lights, battery connection,cabin lights )
    Oh and I got a dual speed log/depth to replace the old depth only NASA so I have to put another hole in her :)
    Anyway she will sail without that work. I got singlerhanded to Malahide in the dark and Wicklow with a hand held radio. Malahide is tricky in the dark when you can''t leave the tiller and have lowered sails blocking the view.

Any volunteers?

Available any weekend after the from the 22nd Jan onwards. Would like to go out and can make it to either Malahide or south Dublin easy enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

Hi, as I am working usualy Mon.-Sat., I am available for Monday sailing if anyone in need of an experienced crew member. Dun Laoghaire, or between Howth to Wicklow anywhere. Thanks.

(didnt want to open new thread, sorry if this counts as hijack ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭oceanman

i would love to do a bit of crewing around south co dublin, available most weekends, a bit short on experience but not afraid learn. anyone interested pm me. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

off to France to take delivery of new boat this week, happy days.

Oooh, what is it, LH - sounds very exciting! Will you bring it home, or leave it there and head Med-wards in the summer?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Bah - too old. By quite a margin. Very depressing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Higgy12

We'll be looking for crew for club racing around April/May.
    You could also try Malahide YC on http://www.myc.ie/crewfinder.php.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Crew available in Cork!
    I was a sailer in my teens, mostly sailing small dinghies. Got up to Level 3 in the sailing exams. Also qualified first aider and competitive swimmer (so if I fall overboard I should be able to catch up again.....).
    Available during school holidays. Would love to get back into sailing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

Skerries Sailing Club are running a recuitment drive for new members / crew at the moment. There are a number of talks /workshops aimed at potential new members starting on the 15th of March if anybody is interested.

Details can be seen on the events page of www.facebook.com/fancyasail

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 atourdeforce

Hi folks,

Im Rob (28), just purchased my first sailboat and currently finishing fitting it out. Its a small sailing cruiser. Im currently berthed in carlingford but moving to howth during the summer as i live in bettystown.
    Could do with one or two enthusiasts who want to get out sailing for weekends. You don have to have much experience. If you are able to get as far as bettystown im happy to give people lifts up to carlingford.

If anyone is interesed just email me robertmcgee@live.ie and let me know your details.
    Happy sailing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭macannrb

Hi Guys,

Looking to crew this year. I crewed last year, at the end of the year, in Howth and had a blast. But it looks like the guys are going to give it a miss this year unfortunately.

My enthusiasm and reliability outweigh my experience and skills so if that suits - fantastic. I live on the southside, but with I can travel to wherever on the DART.

Cheers

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fiachra cork

40 year old male - little experience but am mad to get out there - basically can't afford to pay for courses so wan't to learn the ropes so to speak, before committing. I'm a bit tied up with family etc so can only realistically get out once or the odd time , twice a week. I'm in North Cork so Cobh, Yaughal or Dungarvan would be closer to me although I'd consider going further South/West - Crosshaven, Oysterhaven, Kinsale....

By the way, not totally clueless as did a tinchy bit of sailing as a teenager and have sea kayaked for years. Unfortunately, you can't bring the kids through or around the old head in a Kayak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 beprint

Crew member available for mile building deliveries & trips. 5 years sailing with 2 years skippering my 22 foot cruiser in Galway. First aid, VHF and Yacht Master Coastal Shore Based Course obtained. Racing experience on 36ft cruiser. Based in Galway/Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Higgy12

Need a crew member for club racing out of Malahide YC. Let me know if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Higgy12 wrote: »
    Need a crew member for club racing out of Malahide YC. Let me know if you're interested.
    Hey higgy I'm just up the road fron malahide and I'd be interested if its not too late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Hey Guys,
    Anyone whos interested in doing a bit of crewing might be interested in this

http://www.irishsailtraining.com/NewsEventsandForums/News/tabid/412/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/30433/43-Ketch-Maybird-seeking-crew-from-Galway-to-Dublin.aspx
    Maybird is a 43' Gaff-Rigged Ketch built by Jack Tyrrell in Arklow,Ireland in 1937 to a Fred Shepherd design.
    She is MCA coded to 60 miles offshore and completed the Fastnet last year.Her history,dimensions,rebuild data
    etc can be seen on the website.
    The Maybird has an interesting voyage plan for the next 6 weeks or so leading her back to Dublin at the time
    of the Dublin Tall Ships Festival and is seeking some crew.

She will be leaving Galway on Monday 9th July and will spend two weeks exploring the Connemara and Mayo
    coastline stopping at Rossaveal,Roundstone,Clifden,Westport,Inishbofin,Achill Island,Broadhaven Bay and Killala
    Bay ending up in Sligo by Friday 20th July.

The ship needs with one person who has practical sailing experience to assist with this passage.Costs will be
    food,fuel,moorings divided up over the crew.
    For the week commencing Monday 23rd July Maybird will be sailing in Donegal Bay for a week-either day sailing
    or over to Killybegs and Teelin and back to Sligo by Saturday 28th July. She needs two crew for this week-again
    costs will be split between all on board for fuel,Food,moorings etc.

Maybird will remain in Sligo for week commencing Monday 30th July and would leave either Saturday or Sunday
    4th/5th of August.The plan is then to continue to sail clockwise around Ireland arriving in Dublin in time for the
    Tall Ship’s Festival - arriving Wednesday August 22nd.Over this 18 days I intend to explore Killybegs,Teelin,
    Burtonport,Arranmore, Lough Swilly,Lough Foyle,Rathlin Island,Ballycastle,Belfast,Strangford Lough,
    Carlingford Lough,Howth and Dublin port. 3 crewmembers are being sought to assist with this passage
    preferably with sailing experience.Ideally they would be able to commit to the 18 days or, a minimum of a
    week at least.

If any one is interested in doing the whole voyage from Galway to Dublin that would be fine also.
    In terms of an age limit for sailing on Maybird there is no defined cut off point.If people are mobile enough
    to get around her deck safely and are ok with the companionway steps,forehatch and aft cabin hatch
    then that is fine.
    Anyone that is interested can contact Captain Darryl Hughes on on Maybird catchthebreeze@maybird.co.uk
    or by phone at 087 6020550.

alan1990 wrote: »

Wow, that sounds fantastic! Unfortunately I'm away for most of the time that he's looking for crew (sailing to and racing in Scotland) otherwise I'd jump at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ManwitaPlan

Hey,

Mid twenties, very eager to learn more and get some racing experience.

I have a RYA/ISA level 2 classification and would be quite fit/agile from playing other sports.

Very enthuiastic and willing to help in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

30, Female, finished the 1720 keelboat course in Dun Laoghaire a few weeks ago.
    Done maybe ten sessions on cruisers since.
    LOVE Sailing, flexible timetable and I live in the city centre, so available pretty much anytime/anywhere around Dublin, though I guess I'm used to Dun Laoghaire.

Would really really like to get back on something 1720 sized, but I enjoy the cruisers too.
    Haven't sailed a dinghy since I was about ten, but I'll give it a shot.

Send us a PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Eoin_Eamon

'ello 'ello,

I've just come back from the Tall Ship races and am eager to get back on the sea straight away. I'm free at the weekends and after work during the week. Bad weather and rain do not bother me in the least. Sailed through 6-10s. I'm looking for anything in and near Dublin.

My experience is limited as I've only just started sailing, but I do learn quickly. I was a trainee a 27.4m sailing vessel and had a hand at everything whilst aboard and during watch. I'm 29.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Hey there , I'm looking to join a crew on the northside , I've sailed on cruisers in Malahide last year and we came 2nd in the Autumn league so I can't be that bad !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

ICRA announces crew recruitment and training programme http://cruiserracing.ie/blog/2013/01/17/crew-recruitment-and-training-programme/

Advertisement