Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

I tryed that when waiting for a theory test. No test centres open and at the time couldn't be done online. They would be hard set to answer a phone. All while getting their full wages. Rsa are only interested in getting money from you after that they don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

The emails go into the ether. I haven't even gotten an acknowledgment to some!

Sent mails off there to Paschal. I expect nothing to change!

I'm sick of taking the bus to work so I decided I want to get a bike for commuting although I am at the age where I know I could go for a big bike but I've decided a 125 will do me just fine as they are cheap to run and the insurance should be cheap enough.

I don't mind buying new as I have the budget for it and I intend to keep the bike for a while I was thinking of a Keyway super light 125. But compared to Japanese 125s it doesn't have as much power and is heavy on the plus side though it does look good.

Anyway I'm open to suggestions on what I should get and where I should get it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

get your IBT first, the instructor will have a bike for that.

Personally speaking i'd recommend going for the full A licence, even if you don't use it. I wouldn't go buying a bike before the IBT either

Any word? Is there anything to be said to messaging an opposition TD? Mary Lou is in that constituency too.

Or even get onto the press, cause a fuss. I hate recommending that tactic but sometimes needs must

• Advertisement

Sorry I should have made it clear I have already done my IBT the reason I am going for a category A1 is at the moment that is what I feel most comfortable on and have no need currently for anything bigger.

fair enough.

I'd still go for the A licence either way. Get a Category A1 bike if that's what you are most comfortable on, but when sitting the test go for the full A. It'll give you much more options down the road, in case you decide after 6 months that an A1 just isn't cutting the mustard

Thank you I'll definitely go for the full A licence when I am ready for it

Now all I need to do is decide on a good 125 to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Well, just as i did email, i checked the RSA portal, as i have been every few months, and i see they finally have dates!

Either Pascal works at the speed of light or they've been up a few days already.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

I am not an expert on 125cc bikes, but have heard good things about the following:

KTM 125 Duke

Honda CB125R

Aprilia Tuono 125

Husqvarna Svartpilen 125 (note - looks very different to other bikes)

Would also recomned the KTM 390 Duke - is a truly wicked bike

• Advertisement

Perhaps earlier I jumped the gun a little bit in my next IBT lesson I'll have a go at the Honda hornet that my instructor has and see how how I get along with a 600cc bike.

Before in the past I did get a chance to have a go on a bandit 600 but found it very heavy and scarily powerful perhaps since the hornet is newer is maybe less weight and has slightly lower power so is easier for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A pal was in the same situation and went for a 125, 6 weeks later he was on a 600 Hornet.

Just because the bike is fast you don't have to ride it fast

That's true and you need to remember if you end up with the so-called whisky throttle you can always cut the power by pulling in the clutch then it doesn't matter if you have the accelerator pinned you're not going anywhere just making a lot of noise.

If I do end up getting a 125 I've decided to stay away from the Chinese brands and get a reliable Japanese brand such as Suzuki or Honda.

My apologies I can't edit my last post after giving some thought I've decided I would be happy sticking with a 125 as it would suit my needs perfectly and be cheap to run.

I've decided the bike I want is a Suzuki GSX 125, I'm also open to other suggestions I'll be using the bike primarily for a 20k each way commute to work.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,853 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What sort of roads, a 125 will break your heart on 80 and 100km/h roads never mind motorways

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I rode a Honda Varadero 125 for a couple of years (in the old days), it had a good strong engine and would cruise comfortably enough on the dual carriageway... I didn't feel the need to upgrade to something bigger, but I was commuting through heavy traffic. Now that I'm back to bikes I'll be going straight for an A license and a 900cc, no need for a tonne bike for me, unless I decide to tour heavily in the future...

My point is, if you don't feel comfortable on anything over 125, then stick with that, but you get used to bigger engine sizes very quickly... My criteria would be based on the type of riding more than the simple capacity numbers... Why not go up to a 400cc over a 125?

My aim ultimately would be to move up to an A2 class bike when I am ready and sure I am able to handle it right now though I just want something cheap and easy to live with and it appears the Suzuki GSX 125 will suit my needs for the moment, the commute to work is only about 18 km and I have two choices of road I have a standard N road with the majority of it being limited to 80 km/h or alternatively there is a slightly longer route along roads where although the speed limit is 80 I doubt you would be able to do that for the majority of the journey.

If the weather is fairly ok and not freezing I plan to take the non N road route it takes a little bit longer but it's definitely more quiet as it's not the main route between two big towns plus it's more twisty so could add a bit of fun when I'm going to and fro from work.

Are there any add-ons that you would recommend I add to the bike straight away that would make it more comfortable in the winter? I know there are heated grips available that you wire in but I'm not sure how that would affect Suzukis warranty.

Almost forgot to add I'll definitely need to add some winter gear to stop myself from freezing to death, at the moment I currently own a pair of boots I bought from either Aldi or Lidle and the gloves I got from there as well I think the gloves would be considered summer or late spring they are definitely not well suited to winter.

The jacket I have cost around 50 quid and although it has a inner removable lining for cold temperatures I'm not sure I would trust it to keep me warm when it's freezing outside. So should probably look for something better just in case

I'd appreciate any suggestions on winter gear that is good quality but at the same time doesn't break the bank.

I'm hoping all in including the purchase of the bike with will probably cost a maximum of €5,000 or very slightly more.

My apologies for the long post and don't worry I promise I don't have any more questions for at least the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Five grand on a 125 and gear from Lidl seems a bit mental to me.

I'd nearly buy the bike from Lidl and spend five grand on the gear if riding through winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,853 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wonder where you heard that? I've been riding bikes for over 25 years and I've never heard the term "whiskey throttle", had to look it up, seems to be one of the things Yanks with no clue about bikes go on about

Awful lot of crapola written on US websites about motorcycling unfortunately, lots of people with far more money than sense, buying the latest brand new litre bike as a novice then riding it in flip flops etc. etc., but many of them never or hardly ever ride a bike at all. You need to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff.

What they advise sounds like a quick trip to the hospital to me, and even if you don't go down bouncing a motor hard off the rev limiter is a very bad idea - that's if it even has one and an older design 125 probably won't. If you've done your IBT already the instructor should have made sure you have decent clutch and throttle control.

Buying a brand new bike for your first bike is insane imho and especially heading into the worst time of year for learning to ride a bike. Slippery roads, long hours of darkness and bad weather.

You're cheaping out on the gear (which is supposed to keep you safe - crash protection - not just warm and dry, but being cold and wet is unsafe in itself) while spending as much money as possible on a bike you will likely grow out of fast, and will depreciate quite a lot even if you don't crash it... and almost everyone crashes their first bike.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Have we ever heard from Banana Republic? Himself and myself started off about the same time, but he appears to have disappeared off this thread

Perhaps I have watched too many American YouTube and you are right bouncing a engine of the rev limiter certainly doesn't do it any good but I was just talking in an emergency situation not something that you should do everyday, I am pretty good at clutch and throttle control.

Personally I don't see the problem on using a 125 day-to-day for my commute to work I know this time of the year isn't perfect to be getting into biking but unfortunately I don't really have a choice if I want to keep my job.

I realise the gear I'm currently using isn't the best that's why I would like to ask for suggestions on what to buy to get me through the winter?

Finally I know buying a new bike isn't exactly ideal especially when you are just starting out but unfortunately with Brexit it's made buying a bike from the UK a pain in the ass and secondly with buying brand new I get a 3-year warranty as well as a bike that has ABS and squeezes out all the power that the A1 licence allows.

Final question could someone please PM me the details of someone who will be able to transport a bike from Dublin to Mayo or even Galway city?

Edit: decided to phone a few dealers to see about the availability of the GSX-125 and unfortunately it appears they are all sold out until sometime next year it seems as well this applies to other 125s and bikes in general so looks like I might not have to upgrade my gear as it will be spring before I'm on the road :-(

I'd still follow Hotblacks advice. Don't look at the gear as weather protection. Look at is as crash protection. A €50 jacket isn't going to help you too much if you have an off. Don't scrimp on the stuff that might stop you ending up saving the skin on your back..... or worse

Thanks I'll be sure to upgrade my gear when I know I'll be getting a motorbike.

I know they are not everyone's cup of tea and probably don't match Japanese branded motorbikes, I've always liked Cruisers I came across an Irish dealer selling a Keeway Superlight 125 like this for around €3000 brand new.

It has 5 less horsepower then the Japanese bikes I've been looking at and tops out at around 80 or slightly faster.

Just curious what others think, and I don't mind learning how to maintain it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

from what I have heard, best to stay away from Chinese Bikes, but there might be some who have had better experiences here....

As for weather protection, make sure that you have an armoured jacket (CE Certified like D3O in the elbows and shoulders) with good abrasion resistance and then you can wear warmer layers (regular clothes) undernearth or not depending on the weather. A waterproof jacket helps as its most likely going to be wind proof as well. Boots likewise should have protection in the sole, ankle etc - same with gloves which should have knickle protection and abrasive resistance leather/material on the palm amd the side of the hand. Pants should have armour on the knees and hips the same way. You can shop around on the net for the cheapest gear with the above attributes - these are just my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

I believe he has moved on to youtube and facebook and is doing instructional videos. He moved on from the 125 to a Fazer. Still on an L plate.

I promise this will be my final post in the thread for a while, anyway, I decided to phone a few motorbike shops in Dublin the other day and unfortunately it looks like the Suzuki that I want is out of stock until at least April. Although I was told it could also be may before Suzuki start restocking their dealers here in Ireland at least has anyone else encountered the shortage I'm wondering, does this just apply to 125s or just motorbikes in general?

So, I have a choice either wait a few months and get a Japanese branded bike while at the same time my IBT certificate will be three or four months. Closer to expiry or get the keyway superlight and except that it might not be the best quality and is heavy and slow but looks cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

• Advertisement

Finally stopped dithering and bought a bike

The dealership is also going to install the optional screen and crash bars as well as side bags.

Also watch out Mayo I passed my IBT!

Edit: forgot to add the bike is a Keeway Superlight (although it's actually really heavy for a 125)

It honestly looks like a much bigger bike more akin to a 600cc and has a big 15 liter tank so perhaps 500 km of range.

Advertisement