Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dearly departed....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Brings to mind all the drivers past who are no longer with us through either accident or old age. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Indeed it is very sad. So many could be named that it would start it's own forum let alone a thread. But that would just be too sad for me.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

Cathal O'Shannon, RTE television journalist, died today.

A superb broadcaster, his greatest work was possibly the Spanish civil war documentary "Even the olives are bleeding"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Hidden History: Irelands Nazis was really an eye opener for me.

RIP Cathal

I have no idea if any of you are interested in motorbike racing. But in MotorGP (the world championship) the very talented Italian rider Marco Simoncelli was killed in Sepang after another horrific crash.

RIP Marco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Rubecula wrote: »
    I have no idea if any of you are interested in motorbike racing. But in MotorGP (the world championship) the very talented Italian rider Marco Simoncelli was killed in Sepang after another horrific crash.

RIP Marco.

He was only 24 - what a horrific crash, a tragedy!

Now then now then 'ow's about that?

RIP Jimmy.

Unusual, eccentric, and I never heard anything bad about Jimmy Saville. I remember him from Top of the Pops, Jim'll Fix It and also for the first charity walks he led in Dublin for the Central Remedial Clinic, I walked on two of them and enjoyed the whole experience thoroughly. Bless him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

He was huge in the 60s and made TOTPs his own. I remember him dying his hair pink and buying a pink Rolls Royce to go with it. Then his signature Jimmy $avi££e. Must have been ADHD to live the lifestyle he did ............. always full tilt, and very little holding back. I hope he sleeps easy .......... one of England's great eccentrics.
    RIP Jimmy

• Advertisement

In case anyone needs remembering this link has Jimmy Saville's life in pictures. He certainly made a few 'fashion' statements in his time:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/gallery/2011/oct/29/jimmy-savile-life-in-pictures#/?picture=381150927&index=0

He was generous, helpful, kind, and considerate. He was liked and even loved by many, despite his monetary wealth, he was incredibly rich in other ways.

I think he was ultimately very lonely too.

Bless you Sir Jim. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Smokin' Joe Frazier, Ex-Heavyweight Champ.

Bits of my childhood keep dying. I am getting old. :(

Many many people claim he was better than Tyson. RIP Smokin' Joe.

Terry Willers died yesterday aged 76.
    A name that means nothing to anyone under 40,he was the cartoonist on Hall's Pictorial Weekly.

From RTE

He was well-known for his cartoons on the long-running RTÉ programme Hall's Pictorial Weekly and on the Mike Murphy Show, as well as on the Sunday Independent, Evening Herald and Irish Farmers Journal.
    For several years he organised an international cartoon festival in Rathdrum, Co Wicklow.
    His funeral will take place in Rathdrum tomorrow.
    Mr Willers is survived by his wife Valerie, daughter Julie and son Steven.

Aww, so sorry to hear this. I loved his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

A good friend of mine was bereaved yesterday by her Nana, not quite her last surviving relative but near as dammit and she was obviously very close to her. Nana had been very unwell for some time and been in the hospital for several months steadily declining, recovering, declining etc

Anyway my friend visited for two hours, came away to sort out the dog back home and got the sad but inevitable phone call as she got home. She sorted the dog and returned quickly to the hospital and went straight to Nanas room, not seeing any staff at the desk and sat with her, talking to her now she was finally at peace as you do. As she was sat there, ward visiting hours started and as she was upset and teary, she didnt want to go out into the ward from the private room. So she rang the buzzer.

Then she heard the nurses voices, asking "was that Gretas room?" "it cant be" "I thought she'd died" "she has" "well who is that ringing the buzzer" etc as of course they didnt realise she was in there and were now contemplating either a resurrection or some kind of haunting

The look on the two nurses faces as they opened the door at the same time as my friend opened it was absolutely priceless apparently and caused much hilarity when they realised what had happened

I dare say it had Nana Greta laughing too from her vantage point

RIP Nana Greta

• Registered Users Posts: 5 meeting123

Poor nana Greta - but that is a great story, I hope she's laughing from Heaven!!

Gary Speed, Footballer and manager of Wales. Great servant to the game was found at home, hanged.

RIP Gary and thanks for the memories.

I was utterly shocked by the sad news of Gary Speeds passing

in a game of prima donnas, cheats, divers, fakers and over paid talentless oiks, he was a great player who conducted himself with dignity and professionalism

He will be sorely missed

RIP

• Advertisement

Harry Morgan - most recognised for playing Sherman T Potter in M.A.S.H

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/07/us-harrymorgan-idUSTRE7B61WI20111207

OldGoat wrote: »
    Harry Morgan - most recognised for playing Sherman T Potter in M.A.S.H

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/07/us-harrymorgan-idUSTRE7B61WI20111207

Still enjoying watching MASH on TV.

Part of all our childhoods, Cheetah the chimp has died aged 80 :(

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/cheetah-chimp-1930s-tarzan-flicks-dies-050034998.html

PALM HARBOR, Florida (AP) — Cheetah, the chimpanzee sidekick in the Tarzan movies of the early 1930s, has died at age 80 a Florida animal sanctuary said.
    The Suncoast Primate Sanctuary in Palm Harbor announced that Cheetah died Dec. 24 of kidney failure.
    Sanctuary outreach director Debbie Cobb on Wednesday told The Tampa Tribune that Cheetah was outgoing, loved finger painting and liked to see people laugh. She said he seemed to be tuned into human feelings.
    Based on the works of author Edgar Rice Burroughs, the Tarzan stories, which have spawned scores of books and films over the years, chronicle the adventures of a man who was raised by apes in Africa.
    Cheetah was the comic relief in the Tarzan films, which starred American Olympic gold medal swimmer Johnny Weissmuller. Cobb said Cheetah came to the sanctuary from Weissmuller's estate sometime around 1960.
    Cobb said Cheetah wasn't a troublemaker. Still, sanctuary volunteer Ron Priest said that when the chimp didn't like what was going on, he would throw faeces.

chucken1 wrote: »
    Part of all our childhoods, Cheetah the chimp has died aged 80 :(

Still, sanctuary volunteer Ron Priest said that when the chimp didn't like what was going on, he would throw faeces.

I guess we all come from the same, er, whatever. When HSH doesn't like my suggestions ........ she also throws faces! :p

Colm Tucker Snr - Ireland, Munster, Shannon RFC, Lions RIP
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0112/1224310141329.html

One of the 1st Rugby matches I was at, he was the man!!!!

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

very sad news that chucken, thoughts are with his family

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Can I have a "P" please Bob....:eek:

This man gave us great entertainment and a super show in the 1980s....Bob Holness....Blockbusters.....RIP...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Holness

Couldn't believe his age. As I hadn't seen him on the box for years ......... I thought he was still in his early 50s. A great host on a great show. RIP.

Spread wrote: »
    Couldn't believe his age. As I hadn't seen him on the box for years ......... I thought he was still in his early 50s. A great host on a great show. RIP.

Early 80's I'd say.

• Advertisement

Advertisement