Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How hard is it to get the rolex you want

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks. No looking for a no date sub but GMT-II with red/blue bezel. Probably just a long a list.

forget about a blro gmt any time soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Cyrus wrote: »
    forget about a blro gmt any time soon :(
    I'd be happy to wait 2-3 years anyways, I think the missus would kill me if I bought any sooner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

I'd be happy to wait 2-3 years anyways, I think the missus would kill me if I bought any sooner :pac:

There is no list if you are not known. They have 100 buyers for every watch. THey 100’s of enquiries a week from all over the world.

You have close to zero chance as possible.

It’s a funny dynamic that you need to spend x amount on **** you don’t want to be allowed spend on what you do want.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Thanks. No looking for a no date sub but GMT-II with red/blue bezel. Probably just a long a list.

Without a serious purchase history I’d say you’ve more hope of winning Miss World than getting a GMT Pepsi.

There’s 2 Tudor Black Bay GMT’s on adverts both look great

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Unfortunately they do nothing for me, really dislike the hands, the crown and the faux rivets.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately they do nothing for me, really dislike the hands, the crown and the faux rivets.

seconded :p

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Bet they won’t take it

They won't, I've offered to pay up front for a sub and got told no, but at least they know i'm serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

This thread really sums up how brilliant the Rolex marketing department is . People are willing to spend thousands in a store just to be awarded the privilege of being allowed buy a Rolex and then are willing to wait years on a wait list for same.

And at the same time there is Pateks , AP and grand seikos waiting for new homes but being ignored because they are not Rolex.All equal if not surpassing in quality but just don’t seem to create the same “want” that Rolex marketing can.

This article was on TRF a few months ago i believe it sums up the Rolex marketing strategy well

http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/the-24-anti-laws-of-marketing

scwazrh wrote: »
    This thread really sums up how brilliant the Rolex marketing department is . People are willing to spend thousands in a store just to be awarded the privilege of being allowed buy a Rolex and then are willing to wait years on a wait list for same.

And at the same time there is Pateks , AP and grand seikos waiting for new homes but being ignored because they are not Rolex.All equal if not surpassing in quality but just don’t seem to create the same “want” that Rolex marketing can.

Patek and AP sports are worse! All trading double retail.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Patek and AP sports are worse! All trading double retail.

yep or worse :(

2 years ago i could conceive owning a 5711, not any more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Cyrus wrote: »
    yep or worse :(

2 years ago i could conceive owning a 5711, not any more

For the laugh, I asked Keane's what the current situation was in getting an Aquanaut. I was told that before, if you bought three watches with them, you'd be pretty much sure of getting one. That's gone now, I was told it's pretty much almost an impossible ask regardless of your spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Without a serious purchase history I’d say you’ve more hope of winning Miss World than getting a GMT Pepsi.

I got a BLRO from an AD in Ireland early this year, so I was about a year waiting as it was released in baselworld last April (2018) I believe. I just kept on their case, bot annoying them, just emailing asking etc. I am down for a BLNR which I am not mad keen on and would most likely sell on after a year. Though I have said that before and kept the intended flip watch.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I got a BLRO from an AD in Ireland early this year, so I was about a year waiting as it was released in baselworld last April (2018) I believe. I just kept on their case, bot annoying them, just emailing asking etc. I am down for a BLNR which I am not mad keen on and would most likely sell on after a year. Though I have said that before and kept the intended flip watch.

Why would you spend so much money that your not even mad keen on as you put it.

Why would you spend so much money that your not even mad keen on as you put it.

If you can’t get one take it. Sell for 4K profit the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

I put my name down for a Sub no date in Weirs about a month ago, at least a year and a half wait time, it is nuts I bought my first Rolex out of the window in 21 years ago.People won't believe me when I tell them that the wait is so long.

Apparently Rolex are still producing the same amount of watches per annum it’s just that a lot of people are buying just to sell to make quick bucks and consequently they are now seen as a commodity. Even the datejust 41mm are increasingly rare, pretty much all that’s available is oyster perpetual and precious metal models. It’s all gonna end in tears for some who get caught out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

This article was on TRF a few months ago i believe it sums up the Rolex marketing strategy well

http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/the-24-anti-laws-of-marketing

Sometimes when something is written down it seems so obvious. Good link there thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I'm one of the idiots apparently.

I want The Rolex GMT-Master II Ref. 126710 BLNR ("Batman")

I already own an IWC 7-day, Breitling Transocean, Omega DSOTM, G-Shock M-RG and a few more, but this is my grail watch right now. I intend to mark an occasion with it, but wow, the prices and availabillity are realling shocking.

I've been abroad for years (typically buying watches from grey market dealers in the USA) and the few shops I've been to in UK and Ireland are all banging on about needing an established relationship. Even the fact I would buy a few other watches in at the same time doesn't seem to have an effect. Its my only leverage, so I wont buy the others unless my watch is available.

Any advice on how to get this?
    I may just give up and go for a different brand/watch, but it would be a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

How much does one need to spend when "building a relationship" with an Ad?

And why not call it what it is, an entry fee to be able to buy the watch you want. It's not like anyone is bringing their ad a coffee and bagel on their way to work, or treating them to a nice meal now and then to build a relationship, the ask if for customers to spend a lot of money on less desirable stock, before they have a shot at paying a lot of money for the item the customer wants.

I'd like to know what the expected spend is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Samsonite 187

fluffer wrote: »
    I'm one of the idiots apparently.

I want The Rolex GMT-Master II Ref. 126710 BLNR ("Batman")

I already own an IWC 7-day, Breitling Transocean, Omega DSOTM, G-Shock M-RG and a few more, but this is my grail watch right now. I intend to mark an occasion with it, but wow, the prices and availabillity are realling shocking.

I've been abroad for years (typically buying watches from grey market dealers in the USA) and the few shops I've been to in UK and Ireland are all banging on about needing an established relationship. Even the fact I would buy a few other watches in at the same time doesn't seem to have an effect. Its my only leverage, so I wont buy the others unless my watch is available.

Any advice on how to get this?
    I may just give up and go for a different brand/watch, but it would be a shame.

They aren't hard to get there are seven or eight on watchfinder at the moment.

A quick search on chrono24 brings up over eight hundred.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    How much does one need to spend when "building a relationship" with an Ad?

And why not call it what it is, an entry fee to be able to buy the watch you want. It's not like anyone is bringing their ad a coffee and bagel on their way to work, or treating them to a nice meal now and then to build a relationship, the ask if for customers to spend a lot of money on less desirable stock, before they have a shot at paying a lot of money for the item the customer wants.

I'd like to know what the expected spend is.

Well each of the other 2 watches were in-store and 9k and 7k GBP respectively. that wouldnt officially move the needle at all, "but it might help". I'm not going to spend my only leverage unless I'm sure.

They aren't hard to get there are seven or eight on watchfinder at the moment.

A quick search on chrono24 brings up over eight hundred.

You're quite right of course. At double retail I can get one. I'd rather wait than do that.
    But I cant even get a ballpark waiting time.

I’ve been told by an AD that I’m on the wait list for a GMT Pepsi and it’ll be 5 years but methinks they’re just paying me lip service. I have no previous purchases with them.

I’d say fluffy you’d want to be buying the Mrs/Mr a nice Rolex before you’ll get near that GMT

I’ve been told by an AD that I’m on the wait list for a GMT Pepsi and it’ll be 5 years but methinks they’re just paying me lip service. I have no previous purchases with them.

I’d say fluffy you’d want to be buying the Mrs/Mr a nice Rolex before you’ll get near that GMT

100% correct. If you have never spent a penny in that Rolex Authorized Dealer forget about ever getting a Steel professional model like a BLNR or a BLRO.

You're quite right of course. At double retail I can get one. I'd rather wait than do that.

I really don't mean to come across as a troll or a dick.

But you really are in a situation of your own making.

You had good purchasing power. You bought 4 watches. All models an authorized retailer would be happy to sell and negotiate on. You went down the grey market root. Maybe got those watches at a little less.

Now you want a super duper hot watch that the whole wide world and his mother, father, brother and sister wants at retail with out ever purchasing in that shop before!!!!

Seriously??? These shops are getting thousands of emails a week asking the say thing. They literally can pick and choose who they want to sell to.

When you ask can I get a hot watch they are repling you need to build up a relationship they are 100000000% serious.

These Jewellers have thousands of clients that will buy Rolex and Patek. They don't need you. What they want is loyal local clients that buy everything from them.

To build a relationship they are not asking you to spend money on things you dont want to buy. They are saying if you fancy an omega come to us. If you want a breitling come to us. If you are buying an engagement ring come to us. If you want wedding rings come to us. We want to be your one stop Jewellers. Then if you want something hard to get no problem.

If you jump from shop to shop and support grey market retailers. Then you are the cause. Anyone that has given any money to a grey dealer is the cause of the crazy Patek and Rolex prices. If you had spent your money at authorized you would have built a relationship and 100% would be able to get those models.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Hey mcmanus.

funkyouup wrote: »
    Hey mcmanus.
    Thats not McManus, if it was the post would read like this.
    One really doesn't mean to come across as a troll or a dick.

But one really is in a situation of ones own making.

You had good purchasing power. You bought 4 watches pieces. All pieces an authorized retailer would be happy to sell and negotiate with one. one went down the grey market root. Maybe got those pieces at a little less.

Now one wants a super duper hot pieces that the whole wide world and his mother, father, brother and sister wants at retail with out ever purchasing in that shop before!!!!

Seriously??? These shops are getting thousands of emails a week asking the say thing. They literally can pick and choose who they want to sell to.

When you ask can one get a hot piece they are repling you need to build up a relationship they are 100000000% serious.

These Jewellers have thousands of clients that will buy Rolex and Patek. They don't need you. What they want is loyal local clients that buy everything from them.

To build a relationship they are not asking you to spend money on things you dont want to buy. They are saying if one fancies an omega come to us. If one want a breitling come to us. If one is buying an engagement ring come to us. If one wants wedding rings come to us. We want to be your one stop Jewellers. Then if you want something hard to get no problem.

If one jumps from shop to shop and support grey market retailers. Then one is the cause. Anyone that has given any money to a grey dealer is the cause of the crazy Patek and Rolex prices. If one had spent your money at authorized one would have built a relationship and 100% would be able to get those models.

You could get a dubious Stienhart piece online, that is ones right

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

How does one go about getting one one?

• Advertisement

They are not twice retail, they are around 9k retail little less, but I know of them changing hands for surprising amounts, and there is one on adverts overpriced little at the moment for 13.5k. the fact its not news make no difference, a new one is second hand 1 second after you put it on, send it back to Rolex and it will return good as new 8 weeks later.

If its the watch you want, just bargain hard and you will get it for 12500-13k.

Advertisement