Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

For the weekend that's in it....

485852.jpg

Apologies for phone photo quality

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

blue5000 wrote: »
    For the weekend that's in it....

Apologies for phone photo quality

Love a good Pogue, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Couldn't resist this for a little occasion...

https://www.vostok-watches24.com/e-home/e-komandirskie-handaufzug/e-komandirskie-k-81/#cc-m-product-13491718692

Took a few days via NL/RU/A Post, but not too bad.

Will post a few pics soon...

Observations: Nice watch for the money - had a couple of + comments...

Manual wind is a novelty - shame there's no quick set date...screw down crown takes a bit of getting used to - have started to wind with the crown pointing downwards - it helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

So I was doing okay not buying anything or looking on watch forums but someone here mentioned my name and made me look :eek:

I blame this one on Homer, at least that's what I told my wife :D

Pics borrowed from the web until the watch arrives.

WgTcUDm.jpg

XD0WbHC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Like the look of that HDMI ! What model is it (excuse my ignorance)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Like the look of that HDMI ! What model is it (excuse my ignorance)?

Sorry forgot to add the model number, its an SRPD33. It was announced at Basel this year so not sure how long it's on the market.

My Saturday beater, but also, my most accurate watch...
    BMVaPg.jpg

A Casio Wave Ceptor.

Virtually indestructible!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

The new Seamaster today in its natural habitat, under water. Acquired to replace the beauteous Speedmaster that Birnybau bought and to save the OP39 from the vagaries of my carelessness.
    SNIP

What a beauty. What model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A question for Wibbs, and for anyone else who has some knowledge on this one who can chime in?

The Tag Bund, since I've seen the pic of Wibbs' it has been revolving around my head like a siren call ;)

My wife was asking me something last night, and I started waffling on about Wibbs, his Zenith and its being displayed on the model of a Stuka with a wrist compass....
    My eyes must have misted over ;) because the Mrs was slagging the arse off me and going "Banie and Wibbs sitting in a tree!! :pac:

Honestly at the moment, its likely a very long finger purchase if ever.
    With that in mind however, is there any similar style of military issue/vintage watch that is available at considerably less than the @4k prices I'm seeing for the Bund?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

banie01 wrote: »
    Honestly at the moment, its likely a very long finger purchase if ever.
    With that in mind however, is there any similar style of military issue/vintage watch that is available at considerably less than the @4k prices I'm seeing for the Bund?
    Not that I can think of offhand B. Issued stuff, especially chronographs have gone bloody nuts over the last few years. The BUNDs are among the "cheapest" of them actually(though for 4K I'd be more into one of these). There were copies of them from Kemmner and a couple of others, but they were near a grand in price IIRC. There were a few Sinn models that were similar and Sinn did much of the maintenance on the Heuers in period, so maybe a vintage one of them, but again not cheap, but very nice quality. Two register chronos are generally pricey watches even mid quality vintage stuff. With black dials add more.

That said if you search ebay for "pilots watch" you can find any number of quartz based "homages" for a couple of hundred quid or less. Here's a mechanical Russian made one for 400 quid.

The 1930's pilots watch style is an easier ask. While the Zeniths are strong money, especially since their own homages came out, there were a lot made from many manufacturers. Here's one for 350 quid. , though for double that you get this which is a nicer watch, enamel dial and the radium stuff removed(you could get safe lume applied). They seemed to have been extremely popular in the Czech Republic and that general area of Europe, or at least more seem to have survived there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not that I can think of offhand B. Issued stuff, especially chronographs have gone bloody nuts over the last few years.

That's the impression I've been getting from looking around alright.
    My usual taste is a diver, but that Bund has just sparked a want in me ;)

4k is in about my total watch budget at the mo, if I can manage to sell a kidney :P

I was bouncing between a Tudor GMT now or an Explorer 2 with some more time to save.

But it dawned on me last night that they were only really a "because everyone likes them" purchase.

The Bund and watches of that ilk, really do fit more with what I'm interested in.
    Yes I dive, but by Christ I bloody love aviation and military history and have done for as long as I can remember, as can be seen by my corner of the Mancave in the pics attached ;)

A Soviet mechanical might be a good start for me if I go down that particular path.
    Thanks as always for the steer and info Wibbs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well you got the aviation thing going on that's for sure. :) If you did decide to go vintage I'd look at this guy's site in the Czech Republic. There's a few zeniths for around the 2000 mark. No association with Hodinkee though IIRC that's where the guy who started that site got inspiration for the name. A few of the lads on the Military Watch Forum have dealt with the chap. IIRC he only deals in cash or money transfer and doesn't speak English, but has someone who does. A bit eccentric, but sound and honest and with far less of the usual robbing dealer prices elsewhere. He's generally about half the price of say German dealers and a third of American with a tenth of the BS and has a huge collection of very nice watches indeed. Flipping through his pages tends to result in drooling on my part...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well you got the aviation thing going on that's for sure. :) If you did decide to go vintage I'd look at this guy's site in the Czech Republic.

Wibbs, thanks for that!
    I actually have a buddy living in Czech Republic and could even go down the path of using him as a proxy for me if something catches my eye there.

I've got models and books in the cave that I've been collecting from about the age of 8 to date(nearly 40)
    The stroke of luck of having a 15 year old son means that he can indulge his interest in comics ;)
    While I get to also collect figures and paraphernalia from Marvel and 2000a.d without being outed as a giant child :pac:

The other half of the collection is a melange of 90's action figures and signed comics and pictures :)

Wibbs, thanks for that!
    I actually have a buddy living in Czech Republic and could even go down the path of using him as a proxy for me if something catches my eye there.
    even better. He does do face to face meetings and deals. If I were in the market for 30's pilots watches he'd be about the only chap on my radar.
    While I get to also collect figures and paraphernalia from Marvel and 2000a.d without being outed as a giant child :pac:
    :D Funny enough I've a couple of bits of original art from 70's 2000AD, mainly Dredd as it was my fave comic when I was a kid. That stuff used to be pretty cheap, 100 quid kinda thing. Not any more.

even better. He does do face to face meetings and deals. If I were in the market for 30's pilots watches he'd be about the only chap on my radar.

:D Funny enough I've a couple of bits of original art from 70's 2000AD, mainly Dredd as it was my fave comic when I was a kid. That stuff used to be pretty cheap, 100 quid kinda thing. Not any more.

I bloody love Dredd!
    From being an 80s kid I suppose, but block wars, and the apocalypse war are 2 of the all time great comics IMO.
    I have a few bits that I wouldn't swap, an Ezquerra sketch and a signed Block wars being amongst them along with a Signed copy of the new 2012 style Anderson that my wife bought me as 1st (paper) anniversary present.
    Was like a tenner, but it says more about what she knows about me than my wedding ring does ;)
    And a Dredd/Obama pastiche of the hope poster that the kid painted for me when he was @12

Have a lot of signed Marvel bits, but they're the kids inheritance, I mean property ;).

Thanks for the info and that site.
    If and when I manage to buy there, I'll have it up here ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭micks_address

HDMI wrote: »
    Sorry forgot to add the model number, its an SRPD33. It was announced at Basel this year so not sure how long it's on the market.

Has a bit of an alpinist about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Daemonic

That said if you search ebay for "pilots watch" you can find any number of quartz based "homages" for a couple of hundred quid or less. Here's a mechanical Russian made one for 400 quid.

If this model does take anyones fancy, that one is well over-priced. They can be had for €200'ish with a bit of searching. They were closer to €120 about 3 or 4 years ago.
    They have a Poljot 3133 movement inside. Hand wind only but very accurate and up to 60 hours on a single wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Daemonic wrote: »
    If this model does take anyones fancy, that one is well over-priced. They can be had for €200'ish with a bit of searching. They were closer to €120 about 3 or 4 years ago.
    They have a Poljot 3133 movement inside. Hand wind only but very accurate and up to 60 hours on a single wind.

For a bit more there is this very nice Hamilton on Watchfinder - https://www.watchfinder.ie/Hamilton/Khaki%20Field/H60416533/35202/item/139798

If you are going down the Russian route, the best options are either a genuine Soviet era Sturmanskie 3133, or the civillian version branded Okeah (Ocean).

Both are desirable and rising in price.

See here, or https://www.ebay.ie/itm/POLJOT-STURMANSKIE-Kirova-Chronograph-CCCP-3133-USSR-Russian-Okean-OKEAH-UDSSR/163779910721?hash=item26220b1c41:g:JLQAAOSwSHBdLiQU.

The Okeah versions are really appreciating at the moment and tend to go for the €600 mark in perfect condition. The Soviet airforce stuff is getting hard to navigate these days (did you see what I did there?) due to franken-watch shenanigans from people lashing them together from parts.

The Pilot 3133 aviator is quite a lovely piece IMO.
    There is a Brietling, an Omega and some lovely Zenith's over on that Czech seller Wibbs shared that may be strategically appearing on my wife's radar over the next few months ;)

There are some really lovely Poljot pieces around, pity they can't be gotten for Vostok prices tho ;)

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, a lot of the so called 3133 powered watches about at the moment are not really Russian at all. You need to be careful. Knock-offs are all too common and not nearly as robust as the military issue pieces handed out to the airforce.

Poljot24.de is a very reputable source and a good one for servicing and repairs too.
    You will pay for the privilege, but they are all genuine Russian.
    Here's a cracker:
    3261becker1.jpg

I bought a 3133 Blue Angels chrono back about 12 years ago new for €180.
    2478neua.jpg

They are now more than €400!

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Unfortunately, a lot of the so called 3133 powered watches about at the moment are not really Russian at all. You need to be careful. Knock-offs are all too common and not nearly as robust as the military issue pieces handed out to the airforce.

Poljot24.de is a very reputable source and a good one for servicing and repairs too.
    You will pay for the privilege, but they are all genuine Russian.

Would you believe after the 1st 3133 Wibbs posted that site was exactly where my Google rabbit led me.

Both those pieces are stunning!
    The blue angel in particular.

Would you believe after the 1st 3133 Wibbs posted that site was exactly where my Google rabbit led me.

Both those pieces are stunning!
    The blue angel in particular.

Aye, I like the Blue Angels in particular. It harks back to the classic chronos of 50s and yet, commemorates a very post-Cold War event when the first non-Soviet display team performed in Russia.

The branding is discrete, so unobtrusive.

Good luck with your hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Jude13

Damn you Lorddrakul, I have been very good at not buying recently and then you post that. Stupid joint bank account, if it wasn't for that I wold be following a tracking number for that watch.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Damn you Lorddrakul, I have been very good at not buying recently and then you post that. Stupid joint bank account, if it wasn't for that I wold be following a tracking number for that watch.

Well, when you haven't given in to temptation and not bought one, let me not even entertain the thought of suggesting you get the metal bracelet for the Blue Angels chrono.
    9903neu1.jpg
    In fact, perish the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭emo72

Here's one that I like. Space style

https://www.google.com/search?q=sekonda+space+watch&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjPyqru68rjAhVuBGMBHeslA3wQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=sekonda+space+watch&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3..0i24.15034.18749..19910...1.0..0.184.1513.0j10......0....1.........0i67j0j0i7i30j0i8i7i30j0i13j0i8i13i30j30i10.LZUxKeWvfg4&ei=xuI2Xc_PA-6IjLsP68uM4Ac&bih=695&biw=412&client=ms-android-hmd-rev2&prmd=isvn#imgrc=G2RIk_u7ehTTWM

Ninja edit. I like the colour of the face and the layout of the dials, not too cluttered and fussy. Also the lume rectangles on the hands. Classy. Sold as a Poljot and Strella in mighty Soviet Russia. And Sekonda in soft weak Europe. Also available in black but the creamy face looks better. Never seen one in the flesh, would like it because I like space watches. Cheaper than a speedy, but still far too expensive for a Soviet, 600 euro? Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Jude13

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Well, when you haven't given in to temptation and not bought one, let me not even entertain the thought of suggesting you get the metal bracelet for the Blue Angels chrono.
    snip
    In fact, perish the thought.

Stop it, I have to break the news to the OH that I will be AWOL working abroad for a few weeks, if this pops up on our banking statements it may too much..

My right honourable friends, I wish to correct the record.

In a previous post about Poljot 3133 chronos, I said that the OKEAH versions (meaning Ocean) were the consumer versions of the airforce issue Sturmanskie. I now realise this was incorrect.

The OKEAH chronos were official issue to the naval services and not available to the public at all, according to the Polmax3133.com site.

That may be why they are generally sought after more so than the vanilla Sturmanskies from the airforce, which did eventually become available via certain catalogues.

I do hope that clears things up.

Now I want an OKEAH even more. :)

Anyone want a single owner Blue Angels 3133 with branded bracelet?

I am very sorry for my mistake.

emo72 wrote: »
    Here's one that I like. Space style

https://www.google.com/search?q=sekonda+space+watch&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjPyqru68rjAhVuBGMBHeslA3wQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=sekonda+space+watch&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3..0i24.15034.18749..19910...1.0..0.184.1513.0j10......0....1.........0i67j0j0i7i30j0i8i7i30j0i13j0i8i13i30j30i10.LZUxKeWvfg4&ei=xuI2Xc_PA-6IjLsP68uM4Ac&bih=695&biw=412&client=ms-android-hmd-rev2&prmd=isvn#imgrc=G2RIk_u7ehTTWM

Ninja edit. I like the colour of the face and the layout of the dials, not too cluttered and fussy. Also the lume rectangles on the hands. Classy. Sold as a Poljot and Strella in mighty Soviet Russia. And Sekonda in soft weak Europe. Also available in black but the creamy face looks better. Never seen one in the flesh, would like it because I like space watches. Cheaper than a speedy, but still far too expensive for a Soviet, 600 euro? Nah.

Anything with the 3017 movement in those models has gone crazy in price the last few years. I picked up one of the black Sekonda for under €300 about 3 years ago but would be lucky to get one for €600 now. They are particularly sought after by Soviet watch collectors.
    Each movement was numbered and conventional wisdom is there were less than 200k made between the late 50's and mid-70's so they are relatively scarce.

• Advertisement

If you are going to chase an Okeah, Lorddrakul, be careful. More fakes than genuine on ebay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement