Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

blinding wrote: »
    Do you think that with the guarantees that were given to the British Electorate had the Vote been to Remain that they should then Leave .

Two Prime Ministers and the Opposition Leader promised that the Referendum result would be Respected .

What is it with Eu-Philes and Not Respecting Democracy ?

Why Does the Eu Religion in Ireland Not Respect Democracy ?

At the General Election 83% Voted for Parties that said they would Respect the Referendum Result .

If Brexit Does not Happen in Britain then Respect for Democracy in Britain is Dead .

Making silly points like that does not make a smart debate.

The referendum was advisory. You can't change that fact simply because some politician says they will do A, B or C.
    If your politicians choose to follow through with brexit, then it is them deciding to do so, not the law.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-legally-binding-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/17317791.letters-there-is-documented-proof-that-the-eu-referendum-was-advisory/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

But that is not how "British democracy" works. The referendum was indicative only. Democracy comes from Parliament, what brexit have they voted for?
    To not be in the Eu . There has been Double Democracy for Brexit .

Surprise , surprise that is not Enough for the Eu-Phile Disciple’s Religion .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,501 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's British Parliamentarians not respecting "the will" of the British people, not the EU.

Door is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

"What kind of a world are we living in when the good people of the United Kingdom can't vote on their leader? Can you imagine if England did this to other countries????!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

To not be in the Eu . There has been Double Democracy for Brexit .

Surprise , surprise that is not Enough for the Eu-Phile Disciple’s Religion .

If there is a lack of democracy it lies with the British. The could leave any time they choose and there is nothing the EU could do to stop them. No democracy in Britain according to you.

• Advertisement

"What kind of a world are we living in when the good people of the United Kingdom can't vote on their leader? Can you imagine if England did this to other countries????!!!"
    You do realise that the British Head of State is just a Showbiz Role these days .

We have a Leprechaun for the same reason .

A Referendum followed by a General Election where 83% Voted for Parties that said they would Respect the Referendum result is not enough Democracy for Brexit for You . It doesn’t look like you are a Democrat . :eek: I assume you are a Eu-Phile .:eek:
    Bloody hell!

I don't care what the parties say. The referendum was advisory only - this is a fact. Do you not understand English?

As for democracy which is obviously so important to you:
    * how many people voted for the queen to become head of state?
    * when was the last election to the House of Lords?
    * do you believe that the FPTP system accurately represents british political opinion?

Bloody hell!

I don't care what the parties say. The referendum was advisory only - this is a fact. Do you not understand English?

As for democracy which is obviously so important to you:
    * how many people voted for the queen to become head of state?
    * when was the last election to the House of Lords?
    * do you believe that the FPTP system accurately represents british political opinion?
    So what Two Prime Ministers ( and Leader of Opposition ) say and Double Democracy for Brexit means Nothing:eek::eek:

Eu-Phile Religion and Respect for Democracy :eek::eek::eek:

You do realise that the British Head of State is just a Showbiz Role these days .

You obviously don't understand the role of a President but nonetheless, i note how you are refer to the UK role as Showbiz whilst throw a derogatory insult about the person rather than the presidential role.
    Says a lot about you to be honest. Derek Byrne, is that you?

So what Two Prime Ministers ( and Leader of Opposition ) say and Double Democracy for Brexit means Nothing:eek::eek:

Eu-Phile Religion and Respect for Democracy :eek::eek::eek:
    Can you really not form a coherent argument?
    Are you really unable to offer more to the debate than calling someone an Eu-phile like a four year old child?

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    It's British Parliamentarians not respecting "the will" of the British people, not the EU.

Door is open.
    And British Democracy and the British People expect their Democracy to be Respected .

They understand that their Democracy is Far More Important Than the Eu . Not Surprisingly .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, it is not.

The Queen has carefully depoliticized her office which is more than I can see for her likely successor who seems set to push all kinds of nonsense when he takes the throne.

At the last election, why did people vote for this Parliament? It seems to be as undecided as the electorate who gave it its mandate.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You obviously don't understand the role of a President but nonetheless, i note how you are refer to the UK role as Showbiz whilst throw a derogatory insult about the person rather than the presidential role.
    Says a lot about you to be honest. Derek Byrne, is that you?
    Leprechaun Films have been very Successful as have Films about Royals . Thats Showbiz Baby !

Can you really not form a coherent argument?
    Are you really unable to offer more to the debate than calling someone an Eu-phile like a four year old child?
    The Eu-Phile Religion and Respect for democracy is very Questionable:eek:

The Eu-Phile Religion and Respect for democracy is very Questionable:eek:
    Thank you for answering my questions.
    You cannot form a coherent argument and you really are unable to offer more to the debate than calling someone an Eu-phile like a four year old child.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

lawred2 wrote: »
    However, the UK's interpretation of democacy is fairly poor given.
    By what majority was the queen elected with?
    I think you will find that no country ever have elected a regent by modern public vote.
    The definition of democracy doesn't include royalty.

Neither of the statements negate the fact that it was an advisory referendum!
    The people's will was respected by the ruling class, thankfully, and now Brexit is actually happening.
    We can only hope other countries' governments will allow their citizenry a similar chance, and if the vote says Leave they actually do instead of "it was only advisory".

Thank you for answering my questions.
    You cannot form a coherent argument and you really are unable to offer more to the debate than calling someone an Eu-phile like a four year old child.
    You are of the Eu-Phile Religion . Your mind is closed . Bless you .:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,501 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And British Democracy and the British People expect their Democracy to be Respected .

They understand that their Democracy is Far More Important Than the Eu . Not Surprisingly .

Am. The EU are not stopping them.

They have facilitated "the will" of the British People.

The door is open.

What part of that are you struggling with?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Genuine question for you.

What is your version of brexit?

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Genuine question for you.

What is your version of brexit?
    Leave on the 31st of October , Deal or No Deal .

There has been enough faffing about .

I would of course offer a Border Poll for Northern Ireland . Though it doesn’t look like it would have a notion of passing . If it did Leo and Chums would sh!te themselves . Even a border poll would be a loosener for them .

I would of course offer a Border Poll for Northern Ireland . Though it doesn’t look like it would have a notion of passing . If it did Leo and Chums would sh!te themselves . Even a border poll would be loosener for them .

OK, well that's fairly straightforward.

However, I'd wager a lot of people voted leave as they were told various things about a deal being sorted before they left (i'm fairly sure there is a famous david davis quote about it).

Should those people just suck it up or should they get to change their mind?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

biko wrote: »
    I think you will find that no country ever have elected a regent by modern public vote.
    The definition of democracy doesn't include royalty.

It does if the royalty is serving as head of state.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I would of course offer a Border Poll for Northern Ireland . Though it doesn’t look like it would have a notion of passing . If it did Leo and Chums would sh!te themselves . Even a border poll would be a loosener for them .

How is Europe frustrating this?

Boggles wrote: »
    Am. The EU are not stopping them.
    Indeed, it's the MPs blocking the exit.

MPs have rejected Mrs May's deal three times, but they have also been unable to agree on what they think should happen instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

What many in Ireland fail to understand is that peoples views haven't moved that much since the referendum. I'd hazard a guess leaves vote would now be increased if a 2nd referendum was held today.

biko wrote: »
    Indeed, it's the MPs blocking the exit.

MPs have rejected Mrs May's deal three times, but they have also been unable to agree on what they think should happen instead.

Pretty much exactly like the country they represent.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    OK, well that's fairly straightforward.

However, I'd wager a lot of people voted leave as they were told various things about a deal being sorted before they left (i'm fairly sure there is a famous david davis quote about it).

Should those people just suck it up or should they get to change their mind?
    The Vote to leave the Eu has to be Respected . I.e. Leave the Eu .

If the Eu want to do a deal that can get through the House of Commons . Fair enough . And if they don’t fair enough as well .

To be honest . Boris should call a General Election ASAP .

There has been enough faffing about and the only way to stop that is with a General Election . Hopefully that will be more Democracy for Brexit .

I love Democracy and the Freedom that goes with it .

How is Europe frustrating this?
    Its not offering a deal acceptable to the House of Commons . Admittedly many MPs are using every possible tactic to frustrate the Democratic decision of the People .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Vote to leave the Eu has to be Respected . I.e. Leave the Eu .

If the Eu want to do a deal that can get through the House of Commons . Fair enough . And if they don’t fair enough as well .

To be honest . Boris should call a General Election ASAP .

There has been enough faffing about and the only way to stop that is with a General Election . Hopefully that will be more Democracy for Brexit .

I love Democracy and the Freedom that goes with it .

So Boris calling a GE is democracy.
    Boris not calling a GE is also democracy?

Boris calling a second referendum is not democracy
    Boris not calling a second referendum is democracy.

Am I doing this right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement