Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stopped at checkpoint. No insurance, no L plates, and unaccompanied driver

Options
  • 21-07-2019 4:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I came to Ireland a year back got my provisional license just 3 months back. Bought a car from a mechanic and while driving it to my home, was stopped at a checkpoint where my car was impounded for no insurance, No L plates and unaccompanied driver.

Got the insurance done after half n hour and very next day got my car released by paying a fine for 125 euros.

All this happened on 30th June 2019 and i still haven't received any notice from Gardai, RSA or NDLS.

I was just wondering whats gonna happen next, anyone has any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

A summons with a court date most likely will be sent to you within the next couple of months.
    Expect 5 points on your license and possibly a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you didn't declare pending prosecutions when you took out your insurance, you can add that to your list of problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

The car should have been crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Another Sunday morning Troll....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

singh2467 wrote: »
    Got the insurance done after half n hour and very next day got my car released by paying a fine for 125 euros.

The time to do this was before you collected the car. Your problems would have been much easier to resolve at that point but as has been mentioned above, unless you declared all of this to the insurance company your insurance will be void and you’ll have major problems getting anyone to insure you again.

The fine for the other offenses will be pittance in comparison to what you’ll be forking out for the pleasure of driving over the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Not a "Sunday morning troll"but no excuse without exception for not having insurance- end of

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Atleast you had tax and nct. Having a full licence driver with you might of sorted the whole problem as many insurered full licence drivers can drive a second car belonging to somebody else.

Seems a genuine case but the courts have heard it all before.

If the garda wasn't happy with your story, which they weren't as they took your car then either will the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

New to Ireland and calls a learner permit a provisional licence - a term which hasn’t been correct for over 10 years.

Troll score 2/10

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

colm_mcm wrote: »
    New to Ireland and calls a learner permit a provisional licence - a term which hasn’t been correct for over 10 years.

Troll score 2/10

Also forgot the good accuracy of "Gardai, RSA or NDLS"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

cool story brah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1/10 OP.

These tall tails are much more convincing when there isn't as much pi$$ in your head @ 04.24 in the morning just after a Saturday night session.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

If this is actually true (which is highly unlikely as others have pointed out), I've zero sympathy. Deserve the book.. no belay that.. deserve the whole bookcase thrown at ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Like every other driver I have to pay tax & insurance and maintain my vehicle, if this story is true then you belong in jail

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

If it happened in the USA would the op end up in Singh Singh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

jelutong wrote: »

Would depend if he was sharing a cell with him, perhaps in Sing Sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

sligojoek wrote: »

I think the OP encountered a check point under the bridge

OP, was the Garda who stopped you wearing his hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I think the o.p. is the typical thread starter sniper, in with one shot, then fooks off.

Stanford wrote:
    Like every other driver I have to pay tax & insurance and maintain my vehicle, if this story is true then you belong in jail

Correct

• Advertisement

jelutong wrote:

Nice

OP, was the Garda who stopped you wearing his hat?

Tin one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

colm_mcm wrote: »

Troll score 2/10

yeah but scroll down to post 15, even the gards don't know that

21 carat troll for sure though

Tin one?

Tin roofer...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

mikeecho wrote: »
    I think the OP encountered a check point under the bridge

Like the one in Finglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good luck OP.