Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

Any advice for trying to pass 5 exams in one sitting, I’ve passed 3 already. I’ve failed equity twice which is worrying me and I’m finding constitutional difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Any advice for trying to pass 5 exams in one sitting, I’ve passed 3 already. I’ve failed equity twice which is worrying me and I’m finding constitutional difficult

Study as much as you can, as simple as an answer as it may sound. Equity can seem tricky and you need to know a lot of details and the same goes for Constitutional. I didn't leave out much at all out of constitutional because I found the questions really hard - so do also lot of past exam papers and try and compare it to sample answers. Sometimes while studying I could not even identify the issues, so that's a real difficulty in that exam I feel.
    For equity I skipped a few themes that I never did and was uncomfortable with like secret trusts. But I covered a lot anyway - again I feel past papers were useful. As you failed it twice, maybe it would be beneficial to see what you did (you can ask the law society for scanned transcripts by email). A good structure/logic is important for equity. And case law.

Anyway I did 5 on my first session so you can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

I failed Equity twice and also struggled with Tort and felt comfortable with both however I felt uncomfortable with EU and Constitutional and ended up flying them. The two I had heard form everyone were the hardest.
    Sometimes feeling like a subject is difficult to understand can be enough for you to pass it. You're probably reading into certain additional areas trying to clarify things and that will end up sticking in the exam!
    As for ones you feel comfortable with, sometimes this can lead to complacency.
    You'll be grand! Do the five.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mariussulla1977

Hi there

I am finally taking these exams seriously.My degree is an LLB but I have worked away from the law for a few years. I have spent a few years on and off giving them a lukewarm attempt now and then. However I am now determined to get some of these finished. I have time off from work for next few months till the exams in October and I have all the manuals from Griffith and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how many exams I could attempt in one go. I was thinking 5.

Also, which exams would be the best to start with.

Would really appreciate any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭vid36

If you are taking five, I would recommend Criminal, Contract, Property, Equity and Company.Others have different views , however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

vid36 wrote: »
    If you are taking five, I would recommend Criminal, Contract, Property, Equity and Company.Others have different views , however.

Yeah it's not a bad combination. I did Company, Equity, Property, Contract and EU - that was okay too (I mean, the okay in hell, but okay still :p).

I reckon Criminal, Constitutional, Property, Equity and Contract would be a good mix too. I would recommend separating Constitutional & EU, just as they seem to be the lenghty ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DoctorComfort

If anyone wants to swap materials give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Still confused about how I should be making notes from the manuals. Typing feels like nothing is going in, but writing takes too long. Any advice? What do people usually do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Hey,

Looking for an updated EU grid, if anyone has one?

Have equity, criminal and property grids to exchange if needed!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Charlie Gove MP

Detail wise you only need to know the key underlining cases and relevant legislation, you do not need any academic commentary.

I would advise trying to get your hand on the FE manuals from one of the colleges.

Thank you for your help. It is appreciated.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

I'm starting to do my Property revision and I'm pretty nailed down on 4 questions, 2 x succession, adverse possession and easements. I'm thinking of doing co-ownership as my 5th question going by the grids I have, it appears quite regularly. Going by previous posters, landlord and tenant is a question that's rather hefty and to be avoided if possible - I'm trying to be smart with my studying from outset as the last time I attempted them, I over studied and as a result wasn't smart with my time.

Thanks!

Hello Sara.

I am clueless about "Land Law"....I bought Wylies book and I am just moving through it chapter by chapter trotting out my own notes on my laptop.

I did tenure and started equity today.

It's all new to me....but I try to reduce one page of a book to around .8 of a page of typed notes.

If it isn't in the 2015 Wylie book, I don't need to know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Orson Swelled

Hi. New member here. I'm stting my second batch of four in October - company, criminal, constitutional and EU. Absolutely dreading them (that's the spirit!)

I need to pick up a copy of the Companies Act. The Bloomsbury version is €99 online (excluding postage). How much is the Office of Public Works version?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Hi. New member here. I'm stting my second batch of four in October - company, criminal, constitutional and EU. Absolutely dreading them (that's the spirit!)

I need to pick up a copy of the Companies Act. The Bloomsbury version is €99 online (excluding postage). How much is the Office of Public Works version?

Thanks.

Same here except I'm doing contract instead of criminal! Cannot wait to be done!

The office of public works one is €104 but I got mine on the book depository website and it was €85. They also have free shipping worldwide so I'd say that's the cheapest you'll get a new copy

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Does anyone happen to have access to the case notes Independent have released for Constitutional or EU and is willing to share? I know a new one was done on the new SC Kerins decision

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Hi Everyone.

Does anyone have a Tort exam grid to share please? I have one but it doesn't match the topic to the question is (it only shows which topics came up) and I'm stuck trying to figure out two questions at the mo.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

KMPT wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.

Does anyone have a Tort exam grid to share please? I have one but it doesn't match the topic to the question is (it only shows which topics came up) and I'm stuck trying to figure out two questions at the mo.

Thanks.

What are the questions and years?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

JohnsKite wrote: »
    What are the questions and years?

Questions 1 and 3, October 2015.

lisac223 wrote: »
    Same here except I'm doing contract instead of criminal! Cannot wait to be done!

The office of public works one is €104 but I got mine on the book depository website and it was €85. They also have free shipping worldwide so I'd say that's the cheapest you'll get a new copy

Brilliant. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Does anyone have up to date grids? I’m sitting Constitutional, Equity, Contract, Criminal, and Property but mine only go to March 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Could someone please send me an updated EU grid?

In exchange, I can give you an equity, criminal or property grid.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Hi.

What's a "GRID". Thanks.

Hi.

What's a "GRID". Thanks.

It's a breakdown of all of the different topics across multiple sittings, so it becomes apparent which topics are the most examined. It's also useful for hedging your bets. For example if a certain topic tends to appear every other year, and it wasn't on last year's paper, then alarm bells ought to be ringing. However they're always only a 'best guess' tool so need to be used advisably.

It's a breakdown of all of the different topics across multiple sittings, so it becomes apparent which topics are the most examined. It's also useful for hedging your bets. For example if a certain topic tends to appear every other year, and it wasn't on last year's paper, then alarm bells ought to be ringing. However they're always only a 'best guess' tool so need to be used advisably.

Cheers pal. Sounds like a bit of a dark art!! I'll give a miss.

Cheers pal. Sounds like a bit of a dark art!! I'll give a miss.

I wouldn't say they're a dark art. They're very useful when used correctly.

Some of the better equity grids, for example, illustrate what sub-topics tend to appear. So you can see that if a topic appears it will be about A, B or C, and not X, Y or Z.

That's how I tended to use them. Finding out what isn't examined. The FE1 manuals contain whole sections that even the night class lecturers will tell you are virtually irrelevant.

Knowing what not to study is absolutely essential as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Would anyone be able offhand to comment on which company manual is better - Griffith or city colleges? Have both

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

Would anyone know what came up on the March 19 sitting for criminal and equity?? Have material to swap (concise notes, some exam grids etc) if that's helpful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

ahhhhhFE1s wrote: »
    Would anyone know what came up on the March 19 sitting for criminal and equity?? Have material to swap (concise notes, some exam grids etc) if that's helpful!!

Hi there, my advice would be buy the examiner reports for €6 on the Law Society site, they'll post out in 2 or 3 days. You'll see the exact questions and also the examiners comments on them.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Become-a-Solicitor/Order-Past-Exam-Papers/Exam-Papers/

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Doing EU at the moment. Are there guidelines on how to title cases in the exams anywhere? Take for example, Case C-352/98, Laboratoires Pharmaceutiques Bergaderm SA and Goupil v Commission [2000] ECR 1-5291

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Daly29 wrote: »
    Doing EU at the moment. Are there guidelines on how to title cases in the exams anywhere? Take for example, Case C-352/98, Laboratoires Pharmaceutiques Bergaderm SA and Goupil v Commission [2000] ECR 1-5291

I just did them as like excluding case c 352/98, they were okay with that in college so hopefully the same here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 eLawGirl

I'm about to order, is there any need to buy the exam papers + the examiner reports if the questions are included in the reports or would you need to purchase both to get the questions + feedback?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement