Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ACF50

• 19-07-2019 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

Complete noob to this stuff. Do I just spray it on, let it settle and wipe off the excess with a cloth?Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Pretty much. Loads of videos on Youtube if you want to watch people do it.
    Cover tyres and brakes so you don't get any on.
    Different tricks of warming it up first to thin it out a bit and make it less 'gloopy'.
    Get's smokey on first start up as some of it burns off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I prefer to spray loads of it on a cloth and wipe it on, you get the best coverage and it lasts well. First time I treated a bike I used a full can on it and most fell off again onto the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I spray it into the cap and then use a small rag to wipe it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Like everything else there are good ways and bad ways to do it....if you bought the purple can like most people do it tends to come out far too glupy (thick) and you tend to use more then you need to. The ideal way to use it would be with a compressor and a very low pressure HVLP Spray Gun, 120mm Cup would be perfect for it.

Also you can buy the kit with the large bottle and the sprayer, which is the next best thing (see link) I would change the bottle for a "Flairosol Bottle" which emits a realy really fine spray and covers alot more bike with less product. Put the bottle in a bucket/basin of hot water to make the ACF50 less dense and it will be much more fluid when applying.

DO NOT SPRAY IT ON THE TYRES OR THE BRAKES!!!! Wrap a bin liner or old bed sheet around the wheels and take the saddle off if possible. Spray and leave for 15-20mins and then buff with a microfibre cloth.

Dont go mad on the plastic as it designed for metals to stop rust etc. It will protect them and bring them up nicely but concentrate on the frame and engine.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/ACF50-Anti-Corrosion-Spray-32oz/m-21998.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Thanks lads, spray it onto a cloth it is then. As for the brakes, i have a bit of rust developing on the brake hose close to where it bolts onto the caliper, would you all avoid this as it isn't the pads/caliper/disc?

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, spray it onto a cloth it is then. As for the brakes, i have a bit of rust developing on the brake hose close to where it bolts onto the caliper, would you all avoid this as it isn't the pads/caliper/disc?

Ideally treat the rust with a proprietary rust treatment (Rustins Rust-Off) and paint over it. You could just coat the rust carefully with ACF-50 but its not a permanent treatment.

I put ACF-50 onto the body of my brake calipers but I do it very carefully with a lightly sprayed cloth - makes them nice and shiny!! A light coat isn't going to spread or track around onto the pads and the caliper won't heat enough to vapourise the treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

This.............

https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/acf-50-anti-corrosion-formula-spray-32oz-63999-p.asp

Its actually cheaper than The visor shop...and 15% off until Wednesday 31st. Discount code: PULITSLAP.;)

I spray it on in small areas and use a cotton glove to spread it into those awkward areas...

This.............

https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/acf-50-anti-corrosion-formula-spray-32oz-63999-p.asp

Its actually cheaper than The visor shop...and 15% off until Wednesday 31st. Discount code: PULITSLAP.;)

I spray it on in small areas and use a cotton glove to spread it into those awkward areas...

Thank you :) €34.66 after discount applied this includes €5 for DPD. with the cotton glove you use your fingertips to spread it around for example?

Yes....spray on the glove or bike and belt away...I use these gloves for cleaning the bike all the time...think I paid 10 for 20 pairs at a UK show...you can wash them a few times...so they last ages...

Yes....spray on the glove or bike and belt away...I use these gloves for cleaning the bike all the time...think I paid 10 for 20 pairs at a UK show...you can wash them a few times...so they last ages...

Any linky to them? Don’t recall ever seeing them

• Advertisement

Any linky to them? Don’t recall ever seeing them

Buy a tanning mitt in Tesco or your local pharmacy. :D

Amazon link

Buy a tanning mitt in Tesco or your local pharmacy. :D

Amazon link

I’ll ask the wife for one so :pac:

Thanks for that :)

Those mitts in halfords for cleaning are much better, you know the ones with all the tassles on them. Use that and then stick it in a zip lock bag and its keeps for ages without drying out.

Mitts: check
    ACF50: check

Advised to heat container before using wtf :confused:

Mitts: check
    ACF50: check

Advised to heat container before using wtf :confused:

In this weather...just leave it on the window cill for 5 minutes...:p

In this weather...just leave it on the window cill for 5 minutes...:p

It's raining where i am :pac:

Seriously just stick the bottle in a jug of hot water with about 250-300ml in it....wait 5mins and it will go on the bike a hell of alot easier and you will use less.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Seriously just stick the bottle in a jug of hot water with about 250-300ml in it....wait 5mins and it will go on the bike a hell of alot easier and you will use less.

Given the heat at the moment i didn't bother to heat it up, i applied it to the area's it's needed first with a small paint brush, stole it from one of my kids :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Has anyone used it for a car? Instead of a wax?

• Advertisement

I have used it on my car no problem, its just you use so much more of it.....lol

Advertisement