Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20th of July Boxing (Thurman v Pacquiao & Whyte v Rivas)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Am i wrong for wanting mayweather v pacquiao 2?
    I feel a bit dirty for suggesting it.

Was thinking the same thing watching that fight myself.

I believed Pacquiao when he said he was injured during the Mayweather fight. He knew if he pulled out injured he wouldn't get another shot. Made the win seem a little bit hollow. To be honest I don't think Mayweather would do it though. He already beat Marciano's record and he wouldn't risk losing that undefeated record for all the money in the world. He can make money off his legacy alone now and risking that would be stupid at this stage.

Who knows, we might hear in a year or two about some IRS troubles and all of a sudden he won't really have a choice but to fight again. I hope he does as well. Having McGregor as a winning retirement fight to break Rocky's record doesn't really sit well for me. Him beating Pacman or making bits of Canelo in his mid 40s would really be something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Dave Allen was taken out on a stretcher. He got a scan in the hospital - he's got a broken orbital bone and a laceration on his tongue. Took some serious punishment last night, like he did in the Tony Yoka fight. Kind of role reversal that we come out of a fight saying that his opponent should consider whether he should keep fighting because of all the punishment he is taking.

I don't remember seeing Dave Allen on a stretcher in the Sky Sports coverage. Did they not show that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

I thought the cards were very good tbh. I'd it 115-112 to Manny as well but the fight was much closer than people think and felt.

I think Thurman's layoff has taken a lot out of him. The guy who beat Porter and Garcia beats this version of Manny every day. Taking nothing away from Manny though, you can only beat the guy in front of you on the day. I still felt Thurman would beat him and he proved me wrong. His recent resurgence is remarkable. Is everyone ready for Floyd to weasel his way out of his strip club and talk up a rematch?

However I hope he retires, Spence and Crawford could cause some serious damage. No better way to go out than now.

As for David Allen I hope he retires. As much as he likes to deny it vehemently, he's been slurring hard for a few years now and that's two fights where he's taken potential life threatening damage. The first was against Yoka, and actual talent, the second against one of the worst HWs imaginable. Time to call it quits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

The craft and speed he still has at 40 is amazing. Think Thurman underestimated him a bit to be honest and took a long time to figure out he was fighting the wrong fight. Manny just didn't wear down and didn't have major problems with Keith's power. Nor did he have to take serious punishment to score himself.

Can't really blame Thurman if he was over-confident. But boy did he get a lesson. He should be thankful it wasn't a prime Pacquiao he was facing, because that would have been a massacre.

Advertisement