Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Offseason 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Legion. wrote: »
    Buyout?? Isn't he still due 120m or so over the next 3 years? I don't see why he'd give up that money, or why anyone would give it to him.

Buyouts aren’t dollar for dollar, they’re at a reduced rate AND if you’re bought out you can go and get a new contract. Why would OKC do it? Pay $10-20m, get 40 off your books. It’s a win for them.

Buyouts happen a lot, he wouldn’t be the first player to get one. Granted, there’s never been anyone with €40m guaranteed looking for one but don’t be shocked if it happens. It’s very clear he doesn’t want to be there. A buyout would also allow a team that doesn’t have €40m to sign him, hence why it’s appealing for a variety of reasons.

I’d bet a lot he won’t be there next year, let alone in 3 years.

Woj has had two excellent interviews recently on the pod, with David Griffin and Mike D’Antoni. Griffin is very open about his time with Cleveland (I’ve already mentioned this pod) and D’Antoni’s frustrations are obvious in his. Well worth listening to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Buyouts aren’t dollar for dollar, they’re at a reduced rate AND if you’re bought out you can go and get a new contract. Why would OKC do it? Pay $10-20m, get 40 off your books. It’s a win for them.

Buyouts happen a lot, he wouldn’t be the first player to get one. Granted, there’s never been anyone with €40m guaranteed looking for one but don’t be shocked if it happens. It’s very clear he doesn’t want to be there. A buyout would also allow a team that doesn’t have €40m to sign him, hence why it’s appealing for a variety of reasons.

I’d bet a lot he won’t be there next year, let alone in 3 years.

I know its not dollar for dollar. But there is no way Chris Paul is making anywhere near this amount of money somewhere else - no one has salary space. I don't think he's going to finish his career there by any means but I'd be very surprised if OKC were prepared to buy him out.

Kyle Korver to the Bucks for a year. Doesn't move the dial hugely in light of his regression in the last few years.

I know its not dollar for dollar. But there is no way Chris Paul is making anywhere near this amount of money somewhere else - no one has salary space. I don't think he's going to finish his career there by any means but I'd be very surprised if OKC were prepared to buy him out.

I'm not saying it's their first choice it's clearly not; but it is an option and one I think that becomes more and more likely if they can't move him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

FiveThirtyEight carmelo projections have the Rockets to be number 1 seed in the West. :pac:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-way-too-early-projections-for-the-2019-20-nba-season/

I just don't get why the Blazers are predicted to miss the playoffs year after year.

v3ttel wrote: »
    I just don't get why the Blazers are predicted to miss the playoffs year after year.

The West will be a bloodbath next year. There’s going to be some very disappointed teams who don’t make the Play Offs at all, and some very disappointed teams that don’t make it past Rd. 1. The consequences for that for coaches and to a lesser degree players could be enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Blazers almost always get underrated in predictions, they've landed the over on win predictions for 5 of the last 6 seasons. Last year Vegas had them finishing 10th and they got 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Timmy Duncan to be an assistant coach to Pop. ****ing brilliant news, Duncan is probably my favourite player of all time. It is weird, it was only last week I was going through articles and videos about Duncan and I was trying to find out what he's been upto aside from the odd appearance in the gym with the Spurs. And now this comes out.

If only his protégé Kawhi was still there...

Paul Gasol signs with Portland, but in more important news... they've finally cancelled Player's Only!

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1154126530760577024?s=20
    Via sources: TNT will no longer air the Players Only NBA broadcast. Turner Sports will likely do some Players Only content but as far as games for the 2019-20 season, the Players Only broadcast on TNT is no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

“You know, once I got together with my team and we put the pros and cons down, it was never about winning a championship,” Leonard said to Yahoo Sports. “It was about what the future has to hold. And for me, myself and my family, that's what type of decision I had to make. It’s no discredit to Toronto, I just wanted to play at home. I wanted to do that before I got traded there, and obviously when I got there, it was a goal of mine to make history and get them a championship, and I feel like I did my job there pretty much and that I should be granted to go play where I wanted to after I gave them what they needed. I just wanted to play at home. Like Paul said, our families are able to come to games. But just from my own thinking, it’s like we're in the NBA and I played eight years already. Eight years can fly by so fast, and we’re not able to do anything with [our families] eight or nine months of the season.

“So once the summer comes, you got three months to either go see family, train and do your other business obligations. There’s really no time to see them, to see your family. I love my family. Over the last five or six years, I’ll go back home and see my family, my nieces and nephews, and they’re talking, playing, shooting basketballs, and I’m like, ‘Dang, I missed all this. Y’all talking already. What? You’re doing this?’ So it’s like, ‘Man, where the hell have I been?’ It feels like you been in a matrix or something.

“For me, it was a family situation more so than a basketball decision. Basketball is going to be here long without me, so I feel like when we’re here, we just have to make sure we share it with our loved ones, and that’s one of the big reasons why I came to the Clippers.”

Can't fault Kawhi on this, he's only human after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Can't fault Kawhi on this, he's only human after all.

Absolutely agree. No issues.

I think the only people upset at Kawhi are a small contingent of Raptors fans and a large contingent of Lakers fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I could probably do a highlight reel like that for myself bar the dunking, crossover, fade-away and jump shot....

It's that time of the year again. Ben Simmons jumpshot clips, articles about every sophomore player putting on 25 pounds of muscle, Dwight Howard joining a new team and saying he finally "gets it."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,099 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's that time of the year again. Ben Simmons jumpshot clips, articles about every sophomore player putting on 25 pounds of muscle, Dwight Howard joining a new team and saying he finally "gets it."

‘BSOHL’

LeBron in the warm ups at his son's game. :rolleyes:

I await the hate btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jody Smoke

I await the hate btw.

It may be harmless enough on the face of things but it just shows what an incredible narcissist/egomaniac Lebron James is.He's a great player, seems like an alright sort but he's really really hard to like, I don't care how many times people point to his spotless record of behaviour he's just hard to really warm to as a person.

I await the hate btw.

Why is this an issue? Can anyone explain? Is it not utterly and completely harmless / not worthy of comment?

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Why is this an issue? Can anyone explain? Is it not utterly and completely harmless / not worthy of comment?

I guess he just couldn't help drawing attention to himself at his sons game and just let the kids have their time without him butting in needlessly.

Truth is if you saw a parent of a youngsters GAA or soccer team jumping into the pre game warm up to show off his skills people would think "that fella is a right gob****e"

You think if LeBron quietly went to the game literally every child and probably most of the parents there wouldn't be asking him to do some dunks and take a few pictures?
    Jody Smoke wrote: »

Truth is if you saw a parent of a youngsters GAA or soccer team jumping into the pre game warm up to show off his skills people would think "that fella is a right gob****e"

Not if the parent was feckin Lionel Messi I wouldn't!

I guess he just couldn't help drawing attention to himself at his sons game and just let the kids have their time without him butting in needlessly.

If he was a legendary inter county player I might think it’s cool - certainly would think the kids themselves would enjoy it?

Do you people actually listen to yourselves like?

If he was a legendary inter county player I might think it’s cool - certainly would think the kids themselves would enjoy it?

Do you people actually listen to yourselves like?

He just looks like a pure attention seeker is all, hardly that controversial an opinion to point this out.

He just looks like a pure attention seeker is all, hardly that controversial an opinion to point this out.

You’re not allowed criticise LeBron on here. Apparently.

It’s embarrassing. And I don’t think you really need it explained to you why.

But let me guess, me and everyone else (like the large numbers of US media who have criticised it are all “haters”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I can't see the negative here. He's probably the biggest sports star in the US, the people at that game will probably never forgot seeing him warm up. I'd have liked to be there myself!

Of course he's an egomaniac- he's been told he is/going to be the best player of all time since he was a teenager. I would wager every current nba/nfl/mlb player has an exceptionally large ego.

I see David Griffin has repeated his comments from the Woj pod a few weeks back and even gone a little deeper in print. Another hater no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Think the internet getting their knickers in a twist over Lebron celebrating so wildly with his sons AAU team is outrageous. Sure, you can say he's a narcissist but imagine if you're a 14 year old and your Dad isn't around, but Lebron (probably your idol and one of the reasons you love the game) is out here hyping you up as if you're one of his own. Its fantastic. I'd take that any day of the week over someone sitting there with a sourpuss. The furore over it is peak offseason bull****.

• Advertisement

Think the internet getting their knickers in a twist over Lebron celebrating so wildly with his sons AAU team is outrageous. Sure, you can say he's a narcissist but imagine if you're a 14 year old and your Dad isn't around, but Lebron (probably your idol and one of the reasons you love the game) is out here hyping you up as if you're one of his own. Its fantastic. I'd take that any day of the week over someone sitting there with a sourpuss. The furore over it is peak offseason bull****.

FFS a grown man joining into a Layup Line at at U15 game and you're excusing it, nay, celebrating it? If you saw someone do that here you'd think he's a twat - and rightly so. But LeBron does it and "it's fantastic".

But sure I'm just a hater. As are all of the journalists who criticised him for it. :rolleyes:

Advertisement