Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Typical Bellator to be honest. Hard to take them seriously, their matchmaking is just awful when it comes to what they clearly see as interests/prospects to be protected. No business having MVP v someone with 3 pro low-level fights.

As was said, not Kiely's fault obviously, and obvious he would take the fight as well. Good luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Keily is a nice enough lad, but he's also arrogant enough to think he'll win easilly. He called for the fight and it's a nice tune up fight for MVP after gettting demolished by Lima.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Keily is a nice enough lad, but he's also arrogant enough to think he'll win easilly. He called for the fight and it's a nice tune up fight for MVP after gettting demolished by Lima.

I imagine he was told to "call" for the fight. So Bellator can pretend they are giving the fighters the match they want.

Has a glance at both guys instagram pages. No mention of each other until week weeks ago. They suddenly each posting about the other on-stop. Pathetic stuff from Belator really.

Mellor wrote: »
    I imagine he was told to "call" for the fight. So Bellator can pretend they are giving the fighters the match they want.

Has a glance at both guys instagram pages. No mention of each other until week weeks ago. They suddenly each posting about the other on-stop. Pathetic stuff from Belator really.

He called for it in the cage after his first, second and third wins in Bellator. He wasn't told to do it by anyone but his ego.

He called for it in the cage after his first, second and third wins in Bellator. He wasn't told to do it by anyone but his ego.

Lol really. 1 win ant calling on MVP. Jesus wept.
    I was talking about the sudden ramping up of memes on IG

• Advertisement

Lol really. 1 win ant calling on MVP. Jesus wept.
    I was talking about the sudden ramping up of memes on IG

He did it every time he got in the cage and won. He called out MVP. He got the fight because his three wins looked impressive against tomato cans, his only fight against a decent fighter he nearly retired.

The only reasons he's getting the fight are that they wanted to give MVP an lay up after getting wrecked, and they wanted to give the Dublin card at least one "big name" without too.much effort or cost on their part, and they have a willing can who's been saying MVPs name in every interview and post fight interview he's ever had a as a pro.

MVP probably didn't know who Richie was 3 weeks ago, he doesn't care. Richie's socil media is about as active as your grans Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He did it every time he got in the cage and won. He called out MVP. He got the fight because his three wins looked impressive against tomato cans, his only fight against a decent fighter he nearly retired.

The only reasons he's getting the fight are that they wanted to give MVP an lay up after getting wrecked, and they wanted to give the Dublin card at least one "big name" without too.much effort or cost on their part, and they have a willing can who's been saying MVPs name in every interview and post fight interview he's ever had a as a pro.

MVP probably didn't know who Richie was 3 weeks ago, he doesn't care. Richie's socil media is about as active as your grans Instagram.

Funny how he managed to call out MVP after his 3 wins in Bellator when he has only fought once for Bellator. Some people need to stop talking absolute tripe.

In his one fight with a decent fighter (as you claim) where he nearly retired he did actually retire after it. He ruptured knee ligaments 4 weeks out from that fight and Lahore caught him in a knee bar in the first round.

The lad has done very well to get this fight, he's looked impressive in his MMA victories to date and now he has a big step up. He's an Irish and European champion in another Martial Art so this won't phase him. Time will tell if he is up to the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think another factor is Kielys age (which I think there is some porky pies about:p). He can't really go for the slow build up route if he wants to make decent money.

I'll support him as a fellow Tallaght man anyway.

A few versions of events being spun. I don’t think the match makes sense. But me he has it. I’d like to see him win. He’s anIrush fighter on the big stage. And MVP is a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

And MVP is a clown.

There's the reason most people would be watching and cheering for Kiely.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

A few versions of events being spun. I don’t think the match makes sense. But me he has it. I’d like to see him win. He’s anIrush fighter on the big stage. And MVP is a clown.

Honest question: is there any SBG fighters you'd like to see beat?

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Funny how he managed to call out MVP after his 3 wins in Bellator when he has only fought once for Bellator. Some people need to stop talking absolute tripe.

In his one fight with a decent fighter (as you claim) where he nearly retired he did actually retire after it. He ruptured knee ligaments 4 weeks out from that fight and Lahore caught him in a knee bar in the first round.

The lad has done very well to get this fight, he's looked impressive in his MMA victories to date and now he has a big step up. He's an Irish and European champion in another Martial Art so this won't phase him. Time will tell if he is up to the standard.

Richie has fought at least 2 times on bellator cards as part of BAMMA/Ballator co-promotions. His pro debut was on a bellator card, I was sitting about 30 feet from the cage when he called out MVP after the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Richard Kiely is a great fella. He is really just taking the piss.

He obviously knows how to pick a fight and boost his profile. He was going to pack in fighting all together a couple years ago . He is a highly decorated kickboxer but relatively new to MMA. He was offered a fight on Bellator and decided to have one last role of the dice.

As someone who walked away from fighting in my 30s to get a "real job" I will alway cheer for someone like Kiely who is giving it the best shot he can with what he has and doing what he loves.

Hope he knocks out MVP.

I hope he murder's MVP, and like I said, he'll genuinely believe he can.
    But I reckon he'll be a another one of MVP's highlights.

Honest question: is there any SBG fighters you'd like to see beat?
    I was glad when Cowley lost his debut. An accomplished striker, but ignoring jiu jitsu like that is pure arrogance.

I don’t know many of the up and coming guys on the local scene at all tbh. Never seen Kiely fight for example. When a Irish fighter breaks into the international stage (and thus my radar), my default position is to support him, unless I’ve a good reason not to. I think that’s reasonable.

Certainly much more reasonable than people blindly opposing fighters they’ve never heard purely due to their team affiliation.

I was glad when Crowley lost his debut. An accomplished striker, but ignoring jiu jitsu like that is pure arrogance.

I don’t know many of the up and coming guys on the local scene at all tbh. Never seen Kiely fight for example. When a Irish fighter breaks into the international stage (and thus my radar), my default position is to support him, unless I’ve a good reason not to. I think that’s reasonable.

Certainly much more reasonable than people blindly opposing fighters they’ve never heard purely due to their team affiliation.
    Queally is someone I could never bring myself to like, or Cowley.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Queally, Ward and pound shop McGregor I can't stand and could never support. Lots of SBG fighters I do like though and would be rooting for. Fluery's a nice fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Richard Kiely is a great fella. He is really just taking the piss.

He obviously knows how to pick a fight and boost his profile. He was going to pack in fighting all together a couple years ago . He is a highly decorated kickboxer but relatively new to MMA. He was offered a fight on Bellator and decided to have one last role of the dice.

As someone who walked away from fighting in my 30s to get a "real job" I will alway cheer for someone like Kiely who is giving it the best shot he can with what he has and doing what he loves.

Hope he knocks out MVP.

This is it in a nutshell. I remember his last loss talking big coming into it then talk of hanging it up after the fight with the continious knee injury and said he had a ball but what could he do with the knee.
    He believes in himself but id hate him to come out with the knee heavily strapped like it was before.

califano wrote: »
    This is it in a nutshell. I remember his last loss talking big coming into it then talk of hanging it up after the fight with the continious knee injury and said he had a ball but what could he do with the knee.
    He believes in himself but id hate him to come out with the knee heavily strapped like it was before.

It was strapped before because he blew it 4 weeks previous. He had no strapping in his last fight a few months back.

Benson Henderson is fighting Myles Jury on the Bellator Dublin card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Nick Newell signed with bellator

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ASOT wrote: »
    Nick Newell signed with bellator
    I thought he retired?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I thought he retired?

I think he was just annoyed with his performance on DWTNC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Cian Cowley just knocked out cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

How in gods name was Cian cowly knocked out from this punch, call it a day son, what's the positives for John here lads

https://twitter.com/niallmcgrath4/status/1154504382450266113?s=19

but1er wrote: »
    How in gods name was Cian cowly knocked out from this punch, call it a day son, what's the positives for John here lads

A knockout doesn't always have to be a massive punch...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Tazzimus wrote: »
    A knockout doesn't always have to be a massive punch...

I mean the sloppyness of how he came forward, shouldn't be getting caught let alone kod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

the poor ***** family, they will never ever again see him smile

but1er wrote: »

His credentials of winning "world Championships" on various kickboxing and Thai boxing disciplines exposed as utter horse****e here.
    There's so many random invented world titles floating around barely regulated that almost anyone can win one and claim to be a world champion.
    They give them away in lucky bags.

• Advertisement

There's so many random invented world titles floating around barely regulated that almost anyone can win one and claim to be a world champion.
    They give them away in lucky bags.
    Growing up there was constantly some karate/TKD "world champion" in the papers. Appears to be the case is virtually all martial arts that I've seen.
    Wrestling and Judo maybe the exceptions, as there clearly only one real world championships.

Jiu Jitsu getting a bit silly like like that too. There real wold champions, and a hand fully of other comps using that title.

Advertisement