Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this a Crane?

• 14-07-2019 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hey,

This guy(or gal) jumped off a branch into our apartment complex. It’s been hanging around for a day or two, but I can’t spot it in the complex right now. It’s such a big bird, I was wondering if it will be able to get back over the fence (about 4 meters).

Thanks

WnQqZCf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭jackboy

Musefan wrote: »
    Hey,

This guy(or gal) jumped off a branch into our apartment complex. It’s been hanging around for a day or two, but I can’t spot it in the complex right now. It’s such a big bird, I was wondering if it will be able to get back over the fence (about 4 meters).

Thanks

It’s a heron. Well able to fly so can get back over the fence if healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a juvenile Grey Heron and should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Thanks a mill! I looked up a herons call and that’s what I’ve been hearing about the place this eve so I deduced he must be around. Unfortunately I’ve just heard a commotion outside that sounded like a heron and a fox. It’s all gone silent now but sounded horrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

we don't have cranes in ireland...do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

fryup wrote: »
    we don't have cranes in ireland...do we?

Just this type. :)

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

We used to have cranes...but wiped out: https://greennews.ie/cranes-in-ireland-a-new-book-explores-the-little-known-history-of-the-eurasian-crane-in-ireland/

These days the occasional one flies in from Europe.

They have started breeding again in UK...so may come back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Recon everyone thought HERON the minute they saw the thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Coincidentally there has been a real crane in Galway for qbout 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

gzoladz wrote: »

Thank god I'm a Recovering Twitcher! Taxi to Galway would be a definite, otherwise.

Missed mine. Feb' 2000, Norfolk :(

Saw one here in Louth in February and another Oct last year.

Three or four locations around the country will get them each year, so I didn't assume Heron when I read the thread title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Musefan wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks

WnQqZCf
    Heron

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

gzoladz wrote: »
    Building site

Saw one here in Louth in February and another Oct last year.

Three or four locations around the country will get them each year, so I didn't assume Heron when I read the thread title.

Well everyone bar you then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Eddie B wrote: »
    Well everyone bar you then :p

Well I saw one in Kildare a couple of years ago (subsequently seen in 'Bofin a couple of days later) so I don't assume heron either!

baaba maal wrote: »
    Well I saw one in Kildare a couple of years ago (subsequently seen in 'Bofin a couple of days later) so I don't assume heron either!

What I was getting at, is yer average Irish man/woman often say's "i saw a Crane", just like yer average Irish man/woman often says "i saw a weasel". Heard both countless times over the years.

What I was getting at, is yer average Irish man/woman often say's "i saw a Crane", just like yer average Irish man/woman often says "i saw a weasel". Heard both countless times over the years.

I understand that- I am used to the same thing, hence now that I have seen an actual crane I mentally make the distinction!

The weasel thing slightly annoys me for some reason- I only ever heard stoats referred to as stoats, and it was only as an adult I heard people referring to weasels here.

baaba maal wrote: »
    I understand that- I am used to the same thing, hence now that I have seen an actual crane I mentally make the distinction!

The weasel thing slightly annoys me for some reason- I only ever heard stoats referred to as stoats, and it was only as an adult I heard people referring to weasels here.

For me, growing up in the 70's/80's everyone seemed to call them weasel. Most of course wouldnt be wildlife/nature people as such. Just yer average country folk, farmer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Funny, I was going to bring up the stoat vs. weasel thing too, as I'd also heard some Irish people referring to herons as cranes!

For me, growing up in the 70's/80's everyone seemed to call them weasel. Most of course wouldnt be wildlife/nature people as such. Just yer average country folk, farmer etc.

In fairness a Stoat is a Weasel while not all Weasels are Stoats. And the Stoat is also called the Short-tailed Weasel.

In fairness a Stoat is a Weasel while not all Weasels are Stoats. And the Stoat is also called the Short-tailed Weasel.

Please don't confuse me!

• Advertisement

A Weasel is weasely recognised while a stoat is stoately different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

now your really confusing me .

anyway something in the back of my mind telling me there was a crane at
    ''ladies island '' a few years ago . The heron is often called a ''crane '' down here or a ''kawchee'' would still be a name used regularly . I believe its a word from the old language ''yola''

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

now your really confusing me .
    Andrew Careful Transience is a human but not all humans are Andrew Careful Transience.

i.e. stoats are members of the weasel family, of which there are multiple other species.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Srameen is a human but not all humans are Srameen.

i.e. stoats are members of the weasel family, of which there are multiple other species.
    it was reference to a post where i said i had seen a weasel and the kind sir educated me by telling me we had no weasel in Ireland . then he went and complicated the whole thing . I hope it was taken in the spirit it was meant , in good fun

it was reference to a post where i said i had seen a weasel and the kind sir educated me by telling me we had no weasel in Ireland . then he went and complicated the whole thing . I hope it was taken in the spirit it was meant , in good fun

Fear not, I knew what you meant just as you knew I was I playing with your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Was out at Clogherhead Harbour yesterday and watched a school(?) of Harbour Porpoises (regular visitors) make their way past. Overheard several people call them dolphins. Didn't have the heart to correct them.

Advertisement