Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating base cost, absence of paperwork

• 17-07-2019 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭

Building bought in 1998 for X: paperwork okay
    Enhancement expenditure of Y spent in 1999: no records
    Additional enhancement spend 2018, paperwork okay

Having done the CGT math, including indexation as appropriate, there is in fact no gain.

I know its self assessment so any thoughts on the risk of an audit?

Pretty is being sold for c 76,000
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

Building bought in 1998 for X: paperwork okay
    Enhancement expenditure of Y spent in 1999: no records
    Additional enhancement spend 2018, paperwork okay

Having done the CGT math, including indexation as appropriate, there is in fact no gain.

I know its self assessment so any thoughts on the risk of an audit?

Pretty is being sold for c 76,000
    Thanks as always

Is there a gain if you leave out the 1999 expenditure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Allinall wrote: »
    Is there a gain if you leave out the 1999 expenditure?
    Yes about 17,000/ 5k+ tax

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's a risk, if I were you I'd do my very best to get hold of anything on paper at all to support the claim in case they do take a look at it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Given the statutory retention period for records has long passed on a property with enhancement in 1999 I'd find very few people able to produce such documentation at this point ( although there always a few who keep absolutely everything ). Revenue can ask you to produce evidence in support of your computation but at the same time will have permitted you to have disposed of records that old.

What's the basis for the amount of €Y which was spent on enhancement? Best recollection? Some scribbled notes which were kept?
    Is there any pictorial evidence of the before and after? Was there maybe a plan or drawings kept ? Did the work require planning permission which might still be on record at local authority? Was it domestic or commercial, if commercial would the alteration have resulted in a change to rates? Are there other people who can attest to the fact that the work was done? Any of these would help support the justification for inclusion of the enhancement expenditure.

If a reasonable effort can be shown to be taken to quantify and evidence the enhancement then if the return is audited the taxpayer should be able to show that they acted reasonably and honestly.

Alternatively, only include everything which is clearly provable and pay the ~€5K CGT.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Do you know what was done in the 1999 redevelopment.

There wasn't an extension requiring planning permission was there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Do you know what was done in the 1999 redevelopment.

There wasn't an extension requiring planning permission was there?

Thank guys.
    There was an extension built, I am heading down to the planning office tomorrow to look at what they have.
    The planning item needs compliance sign off as well so a double purpose for trip to planning office.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thank guys.
    There was an extension built, I am heading down to the planning office tomorrow to look at what they have.
    The planning item needs compliance sign off as well so a double purpose for trip to planning office.

In that case you can prove that there was an extension that occurred. Revenue are likely to be a lot more reasonable in that case than if they just think you are making the enhancement expenditure up.

Ive seen a case where a revenue auditor was asked where do you think the roof came from it sure didn't come with the building (for some reason a photo of the building on sale from an advertisement was retained) and they subsequently accepted the enhancement expenditure.

Advertisement