Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Qprmeath wrote: »
    You mean wait til the free window opens?

Exactly, typically plenty of seats together are left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Just recently got my silver membership after a couple of years of missing out by a few points. Card took 2 weeks to arrive!
    I can’t find a list of what lounges I can use outside Dublin or even what sign signifies I have access to a lounge.
    Do I only have access to a lounge if I’m flying Aer Lingus?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Yes, you need an EI ticket to access them. Ask at checkin if there's a lounge available and where it is. Usually the lounges have a list of airlines that have access outside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Just recently got my silver membership after a couple of years of missing out by a few points. Card took 2 weeks to arrive!
    I can’t find a list of what lounges I can use outside Dublin or even what sign signifies I have access to a lounge.
    Do I only have access to a lounge if I’m flying Aer Lingus?

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/airport-information/airport-lounges/#/tab-0-aer-lingus-lounges

List of lounges

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Draco wrote: »
    Yes, you need an EI ticket to access them. Ask at checkin if there's a lounge available and where it is. Usually the lounges have a list of airlines that have access outside them.

You need a ticket on EI metal, doesn't have to be an EI ticket...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Thanks for the replies.

I assume the fast track automatically gets added to your ticket when you book EI or do you just walk up the fast track lane with you boarding pass and card?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You have to show them your Aerclub card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

blackwhite wrote: »

Greetings from the lounge in Birmingham International Airport.

Tell you what, this place is swanky. Far, far better than the EI or BA lounges I've been in on either side of the Atlantic (DUB, LHR, ORD, EWR, etc.) Worth coming here 30m early if any of ye are flying home from BHX some time soon.

For the first year in a long time I’m unlikely to do enough EI flights to maintain my status.
    Changed jobs this year, and no longer travelling to as many EI destinations.

Currently at Platinum status - but unlikely to reach 300 in this membership year.

Anyone know if they still do the “step down” which they used to do under Gold Circle.

Used be the case you dropped to the next tier down - once you had done 4 flights you didn’t get bumped all the way out.

Wondering if that’s still the case

You become Silver if you have made at least 2 flights in the last 12 months as Platinum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

How much would people pay for if they were short on tier credits to move up to the second level?

Silver - Platinum isn't really worth it unless you are chasing the business upgrade (~300 euro?)
    Platinum - Concierge , need to value the 4 upgrades, no change/admin fees + free silver membership etc (1000+ euro?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Is anyone else having login issues? I'm randomly being told my password is wrong, tried to change it but just keep getting an error message. I also just booked a flight (putting my aerclub id in the booking), i never received an email with my booking confirmation ... really odd. I tried to go back to the confirmation page but it just took me to the home page.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cunnerz21

I just made Platinum for the first time and followed the process to email and request an upgrade for an upcoming flight from TOR-DUB in Sept. I got a reply letting me know that they have submitted the request. Does anybody know when they will let me know if it's successful or not? If it's not successful I'd like to try use the upgrade on the outbound leg of the trip but now worried that they will only let me know a few days before the flight home and it will be too late to try use for the outbound leg. Does anyone have any idea what precentage of aerclub upgrade requests are successful or is it a long shot?

cunnerz21 wrote: »
    I just made Platinum for the first time and followed the process to email and request an upgrade for an upcoming flight from TOR-DUB in Sept. I got a reply letting me know that they have submitted the request. Does anybody know when they will let me know if it's successful or not? If it's not successful I'd like to try use the upgrade on the outbound leg of the trip but now worried that they will only let me know a few days before the flight home and it will be too late to try use for the outbound leg. Does anyone have any idea what precentage of aerclub upgrade requests are successful or is it a long shot?

I used one last year for DUB-JFK in November. Request was submitted in July or August, and approved within a week.

I think it depends on the flight though - if there's already a few Business Class bookings they'll wait longer before deciding yes/no

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

I’m pretty sure Aer Lingus doesn’t fly to Torrington, Wyoming (TOR).

SB Morer wrote: »

I meant Toronto (YYZ) but thanks for pointing that out

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

I meant Toronto (YYZ) but thanks for pointing that out

Sorry, I’m in giddy form on a Friday afternoon - I’m not normally a smartass!

Get on the phone and find out.

If there is space you will be upgraded either while on phone or within 48 hours.

Otherwise its a waiting game to see if there are going to be seats available and calling the morning of the day before travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Anecdotal at best, but in my experience, I've often found the business class section on DUB to YYZ to be half empty. I'd be confident you'll get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

SB Morer wrote: »

Maybe that's the next destination for EI-GEY?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

ironclaw wrote: »
    Anecdotal at best, but in my experience, I've often found the business class section on DUB to YYZ to be half empty. I'd be confident you'll get it.

I have done this flight a few times in the past 6 months for work so I get to travel up front. I was on it last week and there was only 4 people in business. I would have thought with the ability to bid for an upgrade you would see more in there but clearly not.

I have done this flight a few times in the past 6 months for work so I get to travel up front. I was on it last week and there was only 4 people in business. I would have thought with the ability to bid for an upgrade you would see more in there but clearly not.

Any difference on the return leg given that it's over night, would imagine Business class is in higher demand as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Any difference on the return leg given that it's over night, would imagine Business class is in higher demand as a result?

The overnight flight does tend to have a few more but I think it depends on the routs. For DUB to SFO it's always very busy. My travel tends to be last minute and I have not been able to get business on a few occasions.

The overnight flight does tend to have a few more but I think it depends on the routs. For DUB to SFO it's always very busy. My travel tends to be last minute and I have not been able to get business on a few occasions.

Yeah just got back from SFO myself. Booked business and the cabin was completely full both ways.

Get on the phone and find out.

If there is space you will be upgraded either while on phone or within 48 hours.

Otherwise its a waiting game to see if there are going to be seats available and calling the morning of the day before travel.

I just called (the reservation line) and they just told me I was on the waitlist and they would email if I was successful. I asked when I should expect to hear and she didn't know. They were pretty unhelpful to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Booking an Avios ticket on Aer Lingus is a form of silent torture.

- Avios.com issues the ticket. With a non-Aer Lingus check in code.
    - The Avios confirmation email contains T&Cs about British Airways, not Aer Lingus.
    - The Avios website is silent on checked baggage allocation (30 mins on hold to Avios line confirms its 1x20kg free checked bag for short haul, 1x23kg free checked bag for long haul)
    - The Avios website is silent on free seat allocation (30 mins on hold to Avios confirms this exists but Avios cannot access EI seat menus)
    - 15 mins on hold to Aer Lingus, involving several explanations to me like I'm thick (that I cannot 'pay for a seat using Avios - I don't want to anyway) confirms that yes, an allocated seat is included, but only a "Standard Seat". So not the ones near the front, or the emergency exits.

So yes, one checked bag and an assigned seat are included on Avios tickets. The seat can be assigned more than 30 hours before check in. But only if you're prepared to waste 40 mins of your lift trying to claim this perk. (And even then, the Aer Lingus website will claim you have 0 checked bags with your booking and that you're on a 'Saver' Fare!)

Why must it be so hard? Did NOBODY at Aer Lingus walk through this process before they launch AerClub? Why not?

My advice: If you have BA status, call and book an Aer Lingus seat over the phone using your BA Avios points instead. If you can see that it's available on the Avios.com search engine, British Airways will be able to book it for you. You can move your avios points from Aer Lingus to BA using Avios.com (free, doable online and quick-ish)

TORTURE!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Are seats free with an Avios booking outside the 30 hour pre flight window?

Yes, if you are patient enough to argue with them about their own broken process. See my reply just above this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

eorpach wrote: »
    Booking an Avios ticket on Aer Lingus is a form of silent torture.

- Avios.com issues the ticket. With a non-Aer Lingus check in code.

The Aer Lingus check in code is included on the PDF attachment Avios send you at the time of booking. The 6 character reference beginning with 2.

This is the reference you should quote if calling EI as well. Should knock some time off that 40 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The Aer Lingus check in code is included on the PDF attachment Avios send you at the time of booking. The 6 character reference beginning with 2.

This is the reference you should quote if calling EI as well. Should knock some time off that 40 minutes.

Wasn’t on my booking. Each time I rang I was told that isn’t an EI ref as it doesn’t start with 2. Then had to tell them to search the flight for my name, they then found it and were confused. I reckon they have had zero training on the process.

Advertisement