Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not sure what to do

Options
  • 12-07-2019 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm 38, with a wife and 3 kids (8,9,10). I left school at 15 after my JC. I've been mildly successful in having my own business for a number of years but it never interested me so I closed it up and returned to school last September with my wife taking over as money earner. I started a full time mature 2 year leaving cert program in a further education college. It proved to be well below my education level. I always felt because I never finished secondary school that I wasn't smart but turns out I'm well able for it... to the point that by the time summer rolled around I was ready to jack it in as I couldn't face another year of such basic studies...

My goal is to become a secondary school teacher as I found a love for it while in college.

My questions for you people of greater intelligence are.... Do I need leaving cert at my age to go on to university? Like I feel strange sitting in classrooms full of 16/17 year olds learning how to write a formal letter and studying poems that I get within minutes of reading, or learning about earthquakes, volcanoes and how waterfalls are formed.... i feel i could teach the classes now but yet im so far behind with getting certs and dipolmas.

Is the simple answer to my question that I must go the same route as everyone else no matter my age??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is the simple answer to my question that I must go the same route as everyone else no matter my age??

Not at all, is the short answer. Plenty of options once you hit 23 and become a mature student.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

endacl wrote: »
    Not at all, is the short answer. Plenty of options once you hit 23 and become a mature student.

Far as I'm aware you can take an interview for college course once you are a mature student. Your experience will stand for you.

I'll say this your desire to learn is admirable, drive on and I wish you the best of luck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

It is not clear if you did your Leaving Cert, OP.
    You have to show some effort at a structured education course at level 5 (LC, PLC, other course) before you are offered a level 6-8 course.
    I am not telling you this, this will be asked of you when you are interviewed for a college course.
    You have to show that you were able to stay the course for atleast 8 months before they offer you a 3/4 year course.
    The Leaving Cert isnt a basic course, it is viewed on par as a university access course or you were picking the soft subjects. If you cant sit out an 8 month Leaving Cert min, then how are you going to last 3-5 years in college?

I sat behind a guy last year who knew it all, so much so that he was gone by Christmas, "teachers didnt know squat about teaching" and all that guff. Lecturers want guys who can go the pace. Its not a sprint, its a marathon. You want to do teaching? Thats 5 years. I have a feeling that your VTOS officer told you the same. They are not going to give a course to someone who cannot do commitment.

You have to show commitment, the interviews know what they are looking for based on your experience, your results, your attendance, your projects and homework, and what you think the course is about.

Advertisement