Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Subbing as a Career

Options
  • 08-07-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi All,

I'm writing this post out of curiousity more than anything and am wondering if any teachers have been casually subbing throughout their careers by choice as they didn't want to teach full time. I know most teachers sub at the beginning of their teaching life unless they are fortunate enough to get a post shortly after being qualified. I qualified over ten years ago and had a few teaching posts but quickly realised that I would't be able to sustain a career in teaching as it was greatly affecting my mental health due the stress and rigor of the job. Now being honest the longest I have held any full time job is about two years and honestly I am coming to the realisation that I won't be able to sustain full time employment. I have just left a job in the transport Industry as it wasn't financially viable but also my stress level was gone through the roof. I am in my early forties and subbing has also been a fall back option as the money is good and its very flexible but am coming to the stage where its actually embarrassing going into schools and seeing teachers nearly half my age in full time posts. Just wondering if there are others who choose to sub as it suits their personal circumstances or maybe they don't want to teach full time. Sorry if this post makes no sense any feedback would be helpful. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Just do what ever makes you happy at the end of the day it's not worth killing yourself in a job you don't like or hate doing.
    I'm in the same boat not teaching just a normal job making good money but I don't like the stress anymore it's not worth it. Going to pay off the mortgage and get something handy a few days a week and live my life. It might take a few years to get there but Rome wasn't built in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kodaline78

Hi just wondering if I could get this post moved to the Personal Issues Forum.

Thanks

Advertisement