Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pony Club

• 13-10-2018 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi. Could someone pleasehelp me undestand what are pony clubs? My daughter is due to start riding lessons shortly but i was told she would be better off joining a pony club ..ive looked up Bray Hunt Pony Club but cant find any info about what it really is how much does it cost etc..

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Look up www.irishponyclub.ie.

You need a pony and a horsebox and lots of free time at evenings and weekends to take the pony and child to training and events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

You haven't mentioned age (and it would be different if she is a teenager) but if we are talking about a young child who hasn't even had a lesson, then don't even think about it!

Get started at a riding school like Brennanstown (as you mention Bray branch I presume you are in that area) and stick with the lessons for a couple of years at least before getting into buying/competitive stuff would be my advice. While doing this you are bound to run into other families looking at stepping up to the pony club and you can just go with the flow, if your child stays interested.

In the meantime all the information you could need is all online - look at the branch websites not facebook pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aemk2014

Hi thanks for your reply! My child is 13 and she has done horse riding before - just not a lot.
    She is around horses over the weekends at friends house and enjoyslooking after them/ mucking the stable. She is intermediate beginner if that level exists- if you know what I mean.
    I have just put her into the paddocks as Breannanstown is fully booked out. She wants to progress to the school equestrian club in a year or two.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It really depends on the pony club and what level they compete to. My own pony club is only small and don't compete, and there are a few beginners in it (which is what your daughter will likely still be classed as). However, some pony clubs are competing to a very high level and so would be less likely to take on beginners, or even a novice. I would stick with taking lessons first.

It's great that you've taken such an active part in your daughter's interests (my own mother stopped watching my lessons once I got past trot and hasn't seen me on a horse since). Have you considered taking lessons yourself, since you'll be there anyway? It might be easier to understand the industry if you're part of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

aemk2014 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your reply! My child is 13 and she has done horse riding before - just not a lot.
    She is around horses over the weekends at friends house and enjoyslooking after them/ mucking the stable. She is intermediate beginner if that level exists- if you know what I mean.
    I have just put her into the paddocks as Breannanstown is fully booked out. She wants to progress to the school equestrian club in a year or two.

Thank you!

You mention the school equestrian club, as far as I know the Equestrian Interschools showjumping league is the only organised outlet for secondary schools?? http://www.equestrianinterschools.com/

If that's what you are aiming for they run novice, open and 1.10m classes, teams and individuals. The novice would be a course of around 80cms, keep that in mind while getting lessons at the Paddocks.

Also based on your clarification pony club definitely wouldn't be suitable at this stage. They wouldn't even be having a get together until next spring, and no riding instruction really until next June probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5littleangels

Hi, you could do show jumping Ireland if you have a pony its lovely there are usually 50cm classes and sometimes even crosspoles but I am sure your daughter would be more than able for the larger classes and if not she will move on very quickly. I take my 9 year old daughter to sji shows and have been since she was 6 or younger you dont need to register but its cheaper if you do. It is half price registration for the last half of the year usually to. They are very organised and have a list of shows on their website you just put in the date you want to go and there are shows all over the country. We mostly go to Cavan and Mullingar they really are the nicest kindest group of people with showjumping catering for every level. There are even little cross pole classes in most cavan shows just look for a class called newcomers. Best of luck with whatever you choose x

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You don't need your own pony but you need to bring one. Its 110 Euro a year.

If you volunteer to help someone out who is a member that can work. I was a member and never had my own pony. Obv i had a lend of a few though.

You can be a beginner so long as you are completely off the lead.

They have camps events etc where there will be instructors etc. They have loads of competitions and courses. They do competitions and courses in dressage, eventing, cross country, Show jumping,Hunter Trials, Jockey skills/Raceday etc.

They also do courses in stable management and loads of other stuff.

They have tetrathlons. You go swimming then riding then shooting they you run ...then some other stuff ....
    People often qualify from these to rep Ireland at international events.

Age limit is between 5 and 23. Senior associate members up to 25.

They do grading etc.

I have said etc a lot here.

Each local area has there own branch ..so the Bray Hunt Pony club is that areas branch.

Advertisement