Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Self-Publishing

• 02-11-2017 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Personally, I think it is a good way to get your work out there for public consumption and actually have something physical in your hands to show for all your efforts. Of course this opens the door for a lot of weak material, but I think if you can write a novel/novella, rewrite it until it is perfect in your head and then send it to a professional editor to knock it into shape, then why not?

I'm coming from a bit of musicial background and in that scene everything is DIY. From writing music, recording, mix/mastering and then release an album. After which you need to put the work into the marketing side of things yourself by getting up on the internet/social media, printing posters and getting it stocked in local music stores.

I think the same methods could be applied to writing and releasing your book...

Experiences?
    Thoughts?
    Opinions?
    Discuss!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think a professional structural edit would be vital. From watching people I know do it, they've started with a strong social media presence, they had a ready-made audience, they knew how to promote themselves. Listening to one person, selling/promoting the book sounded a million times harder than writing it. A full time job.

Personally I don't have the heart for that, but more power to anyone who does.

Here's the lady:

On why she is self-publishing:
    http://www.lornasixsmith.com/self-publishing/

And some advice on selling:
    http://www.writeontrack.ie/self-publishing/sell-self-published-book/

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think a professional structural edit would be vital.

This is key in my opinion and worth spending a few quid on.

Great insights and all of which I would expect to have to be done to get your book out there.
    The only thing that I think I would struggle with is building the Twitter/Instagram following without having a book to market?

Great insights and all of which I would expect to have to be done to get your book out there.
    The only thing that I think I would struggle with is building the Twitter/Instagram following without having a book to market?

They do it by blogging. I can't spend too long on Twitter without wanting to burn the whole thing down. :pac:

• Advertisement

They do it by blogging. I can't spend too long on Twitter without wanting to burn the whole thing down. :pac:

Hmmm... Blogging and writing fiction are two completely concepts and forms of writing. I really wouldn't have anything to say in a blog :confused:

Can I not just post pictures of my laptop with Word open on it and say crap like "Chapter 12 nearly done..." #writersofinstagram and see if that works? :pac:

Hmmm... Blogging and writing fiction are two completely concepts and forms of writing. I really wouldn't have anything to say in a blog :confused:

Can I not just post pictures of my laptop with Word open on it and say crap like "Chapter 12 nearly done..." #writersofinstagram and see if that works? :pac:

That's my problem too. I don't really get writers' block, but ask me to blog and the well is dry.

I've heard of people paying for software that scans through news articles and picks ones relevant to settings you have put in, and then tweets them from your account.

You can also buy twitter followers, the theory being the more people follow you, the more you're worth following and you get more real people.

(I think you can see why I hate frigging Twitter)

That's my problem too. I don't really get writers' block, but ask me to blog and the well is dry.

I've heard of people paying for software that scans through news articles and picks ones relevant to settings you have put in, and then tweets them from your account.

You can also buy twitter followers, the theory being the more people follow you, the more you're worth following and you get more real people.

(I think you can see why I hate frigging Twitter)

Wow that is so fake. Surely that only creates the impression that you're well followed, but out of your 1000's of followers how many will actually go to your website and buy your book? I would imagine the sales figure being quiet low...

Appearing successful online is one thing that does not really interest me. Sure it'd be nice if it was built up organically, but the fact that some major chain bookstores use this as criteria for stocking your book is a bit... sickening.

Yep.

Just one of the many reasons I'll be querying agents in January.

Let me know what you find out :cool:

• Advertisement

Let me know what you find out :cool:

Hopefully that one of them will agree to represent me. A girl can dream!

AuthorHouse UK

Anyone on here ever use them?
    They seems like they are real deal for getting a book out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Indigo Ink

AuthorHouse UK

Anyone on here ever use them?
    They seems like they are real deal for getting a book out there.

They're a vanity/subsidy publisher from the looks of it. And a subsidiary of Author Solutions which I believe was subject to legal action from authors/clients due to their practices. You pay them anywhere from £799 to £10,899 for their services and even the most expensive package doesn't seem to include editing (30% off their editorial services). That in itself is a red flag. They don't make their money from selling books, they make it from prospective authors.

When it comes to these kind of services, it's best to check Writer Beware and Absolute Write's Bewares and Recommendations forum. The Alliance of Independent Authors also has a page on reviewed and rated services. Even a quick search on google will usually provide enough information to know who to steer clear of.

Vanity publishers like AuthorHouse UK are not what self-publishing is. I self-publish. And I do so at less than half the cost of their cheapest package per book. You can get your books out there and you don't need a service like theirs to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 igoldrate

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Indigo Ink

igoldrate wrote: »

There are lots of reasons to choose the traditional publishing route. The existence of vanity publishers is not one of them. They were around long before the self-publishing market that exists today.

Good reasons not to self-publish are, for example, if you write literature or if you write in a genre that is heavily dominated by traditional publishers (crime/thrillers, for example, though that may be changing). Of course, there are always exceptions.

Choosing trad vs indie publishing also depends on what you want to achieve with your writing. If you want to see your books in local bookstores, traditional might be a better bet. If you want a better chance to make a living from your writing, self-publishing probably wins out. There was a great AMA with a professional, traditionally published author here recently and the one thing that stood out to me is that, despite her success, she doesn't make a living from her writing alone, supplementing it with workshops, events, technical writing etc.

Also, there seems to be a common misconception that you need a considerable social media presence to be successful in self-publishing. There may be certain cases where that's true or where it helps, but often blog readers/twitter followers don't translate into book readers. On the other side, authors who are traditionally published will sometimes find they're responsible for the vast majority of their own marketing, so there is that to consider as well.

Best of luck with your querying, igoldrate. Though you may want to rethink January; traditionally, I believe that time of year is when the highest volume of queries are sent out by prospective authors.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭owla

Ian Andrews of book reality ? Vanity press or valid hybrid, confused

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭owla

Book reality Ian Andrews any reviews on this ‘hybrid’ style press?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Print on demand is a better name than vanity press!

It is fast and you can write as you want without editing it to "suit the market" .

I have done both. Some stories etc.

Then 4 pod books which I thoroughly enjoyed writing and preparing with some editing help from a friend.

Sold at my market stall and elsewhere.

Advertisement