Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are Irish-born players playing for England or other nations?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

wouldnt surprise me. He will still be part of their limited overs setup but Id be shocked if Rankin ever plays another test for England.

Grass isnt always greener and with the announcement of the next ICC continantal cup champs possiblty getting test status he may just end up with a lot of egg on his face. That said I dont blame him for what he did.

Nobody can ever take his one test cap and wicket away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rastacraw

MRPRO03 wrote: »
    The point about the foreign players playing for Ireland is a different to Joyce and Morgan, Those players had to be Irish citizens or passport holders and some had to wait 5 or so years in order to attain this and also, they did not play for their nations at all, where as Joyce and Morgan played for Ireland in sanctioned matches by the ICC and all they had to do was spend 175+ days in England to qualify.

MRPRo03 is that all there is required to qualify, 175+ days living in the new country? I am surprised it's not several years. so if he lived in New Zealand for 175+ days he could qualify just the same to play for them? I thought there had to be some connection with Morgan's lineage or immediate family needing to be English.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

This may have been asked before on this thread, what is the chances of Ireland becoming a fully fledged Cricket nation with test matches etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

TheCitizen wrote: »
    This may have been asked before on this thread, what is the chances of Ireland becoming a fully fledged Cricket nation with test matches etc.?

Slim to none at the moment.

And Ireland probably won't even be at the next World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Seems very odd for a sport to try to curtail expansion into new nations. What is the argument they are making for reducing the size of the next World Cup?

• Advertisement

Seems very odd for a sport to try to curtail expansion into new nations. What is the argument they are making for reducing the size of the next World Cup?

I don't think they have expanded on their decision, and they don't have to (much like FIFA) - but the reality is that Ireland, Scotland, Holland and the other associates don't have big enough markets and don't bring enough money to the table.

There's no point in promoting them to Test Status, as when the "big" teams play against them there's no money to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Well you cant say the same for all the associates

Afghanistan could explode :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

To be honest it's between Ireland and Afghanistan at the Intercontinetal Cup with the winner facing the lowest ranked full test side to decide who will be the 10th full test side. Ireland can beat Zimbabwe/Bangladesh

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    To be honest it's between Ireland and Afghanistan at the Intercontinetal Cup with the winner facing the lowest ranked full test side to decide who will be the 10th full test side. Ireland can beat Zimbabwe/Bangladesh

I suppose we shall see on March 7th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Eoin Morgan getting slated by the likes of his namesake Piers in the British media for not singing God Save The Queen and for stating in an interview that "he has good reasons not to".

Well, in fairness, this isn't exactly surprising. They'll be calling for him to ring the widows and parents of soldiers who died in afghanistan and explain himself before long.

Again, another case of grass is always greener...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

spiralism wrote: »
    Eoin Morgan getting slated by the likes of his namesake Piers in the British media for not singing God Save The Queen and for stating in an interview that "he has good reasons not to".

Well, in fairness, this isn't exactly surprising. They'll be calling for him to ring the widows and parents of soldiers who died in afghanistan and explain himself before long.

Again, another case of grass is always greener...

Piers Morgan ceased being representitive of the British media a long time ago.
    He is a one trick sh1t stirrer, who has been seen through on this side of the pond.
    The British also despise him and he'e neck and neck with Cromwell in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

At the moment test status is maybe a bit optimistic. In saying that the only way to ensure we don't lose the likes of Morgan and Rankin is to have test status.

What should definitely happen is that we should get more top level ODIs. What do we get at the moment? 3 or 4 games a year? A couple of games against Bangladesh, one against England and one against whoever is touring England? It isn't nearly enough.

A three match series with England would be interesting right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

bilston wrote: »
    At the moment test status is maybe a bit optimistic. In saying that the only way to ensure we don't lose the likes of Morgan and Rankin is to have test status.

What should definitely happen is that we should get more top level ODIs. What do we get at the moment? 3 or 4 games a year? A couple of games against Bangladesh, one against England and one against whoever is touring England? It isn't nearly enough.

The new system gives us a chance. We are the best of the associate members and with the ICC Intercontinental Cup actually meaning something now we should win it. Then we have a 4 match test-series against either Zimbabwe or Bangledesh (most likely Zimbabwe seeing as we are only 5 point behind them in the rankings now). We have already shown we have a very good batting line-up which can be a bother to dislodge when firing correctly so I'd say we have a chance.

You are right though, we need more 1st class ODI matches. Like the England team coming over this year are basically going to be a second-string team (and if that's the case we will tear through them). The likes of India, SA, Australia and New Zealand should be looking to either come here and play us or extend an invitation for a tour. It's the only way to develop the game really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

bilston wrote: »

My sister's English bf, reckons Ireland would have the edge over them right now!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

pajor wrote: »
    My sister's English bf, reckons Ireland would have the edge over them right now!
    And I reckon Ireland would get hammered - but that's just a personal opinion from a Yorkshireman

Test cricket is very different from ODIs though and really does require full time commitment (which will always be a problem for Ireland unless there is some way all their players could move over to playing county cricket)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Beasty wrote: »
    And I reckon Ireland would get hammered - but that's just a personal opinion from a Yorkshireman

Test cricket is very different from ODIs though and really does require full time commitment (which will always be a problem for Ireland unless there is some way all their players could move over to playing county cricket)

The other issue is while I prefer test cricket over the other formats, the fact is I am in the minority. A lot of sides are cutting back on the test cricket they play, so while we struggle to get sides play in the formats that make money (white ball cricket), its going to be bloody hard to get them to play us in test cricket.

You also need bowlers to win test matches, India have always been loaded with gun batsmen, but they struggle to win tests outside Asia regularly, us with the attack you seen at the world cup would sadly struggle to get 20 wickets.:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think at home we could maybe manage 20 wickets against some of the weaker test teams, but simply cricket test level quality just isn't sustainable in Ireland yet at the moment, if it ever can be. I think what Ireland really needs isnt so much test cricket as some sort of non-test playing Full Member status and the rights and money that goes with being a full member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I think at home we could maybe manage 20 wickets against some of the weaker test teams, but simply cricket test level quality just isn't sustainable in Ireland yet at the moment, if it ever can be. I think what Ireland really needs isnt so much test cricket as some sort of non-test playing Full Member status and the rights and money that goes with being a full member.

Definitely a Full Member non-test playing status is the priority. Plenty of practice against top 10 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shivesh73

I think the growth in Ireland cricket is not much as in other test playing countries. Though national teams are playing major ICC events but the growth in not much as it is in other teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Eight years after it was created, I think it's time to retire this thread as a sticky.

Lots of things have changed, the major one being that Ireland are now a test-playing nation, and the explanations and debate here is no longer as relevant as it once was.

I'll give it 48 hours and then close the thread, and remove it as a sticky. It will of course remain part of the forum's history.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement