Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second rifle of same caliber

• 16-07-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Gentlemen and gentlewomen,

I'm planning on applying for a second 223 rifle. My good reason would be, it's of a faster twist rate than my current 223 and allows me to shoot the heavier ammunition. Target shooting only, I don't hunt at all.

Is twist rate difference seen to be a good enough "good reason" by Supers in general?

Thanks,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I had two .22LR Brno Model II's at one stage.
    Both were used for hunting, I specifically stated that I used one of the rifles exclusively for vermin control around livestock and blood stock using low velocity ammo and a moderator to reduce the risk of spooking the animals.
    So there shouldn't be much of an issue IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

alanmc wrote: »
    Gentlemen and gentlewomen,

I'm planning on applying for a second 223 rifle. My good reason would be, it's of a faster twist rate than my current 223 and allows me to shoot the heavier ammunition. Target shooting only, I don't hunt at all.

Is twist rate difference seen to be a good enough "good reason" by Supers in general?

Thanks,
    Al.

I think the go to has always been one is for hunting and the other is for Target shooting..be no harm to get a land permission just to have down

If not I would say -
    One is set up for shooting long range for competition in the prone position (heavy barrel/scope/stock with bipod) and the other for speed for shorter distance competition shooting where you need a lighter rifle because you will be shooting from the shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Shouldn't be a problem at all. I have many licenses for double barrel shotguns.

I started with the one but as I progressed at shooting I required guns adapted to certain disciplines.

For example I didn't like carrying a 32 inch sporter around a field so I got a shorter one for game.

You only need a good reason tor for an unrestricted firearm. You do not need a "good and sufficient" reason.

Just say target shooting and that you have now progressed and need a longer range firearm but still require your current one of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭alanmc

Cheers lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When you say :
    Target shooting only, I don't hunt at all.
    7Do you mean at all, even with the current rifle, or just you won't be hunting with the new rifle at all?

I only ask because a rebarrel seems a much better fit if it's target work you want to do, and doesn't cost a thing in terms of license, new rifle, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Should be ok it's a valid reason. I currently have 5 shotguns all 12g. One for hunting 1 for sporting clays 1 for skeet 1 for trap and 1 for shotgun target. No problem but I did explain in detail on a separate sheet why I wanted each one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭alanmc

Cass wrote: »
    When you say :

7Do you mean at all, even with the current rifle, or just you won't be hunting with the new rifle at all?

I only ask because a rebarrel seems a much better fit if it's target work you want to do, and doesn't cost a thing in terms of license, new rifle, etc.

Don't hunt at all. Nothing against it. It's just not my bag.

A rebarrel is an option. Good point. I do love my little 12 twist 223 though. It works beautifully ... except with anything over 62g.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Then if you're staying with the same caliber a rebarrel only costs the work on the rifle and the barrel price.

No license, no application, no waiting, etc. Its all covered under your current license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Asus1

I had two .22LR Brno Model II's at one stage.
    Both were used for hunting, I specifically stated that I used one of the rifles exclusively for vermin control around livestock and blood stock using low velocity ammo and a moderator to reduce the risk of spooking the animals.
    So there shouldn't be much of an issue IMO.
    Same as above had 2 .22lr.I had one set up for night shooting using subs and zeroed for 50y,the other set up for daytime and using cci velocitors with a 70y zero.I explained all that in writing and was never questioned as to why i wanted 2 .22lr rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Shouldnt be an issue, I have 3 sets of two rifles the same calibre, just stick a detailed letter in with your application explaining what you want it for and there wont be any problem on your side.

If there is a problem subsequently make an appointment to speak to your Super or Chief

• Advertisement
Advertisement