Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ISPs to block Illegal Streaming of UK Premiership games [READ POST #3 BEFORE POSTING]

• 16-07-2019 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/court-orders-block-on-illegal-streaming-of-english-football-matches-1.3957365
    People who illegally stream live English Premier League football matches will find the service blocked when the season kicks off next month following a court order.

In the Commercial Court on Monday, Football Association Premier League Ltd was granted Ireland’s first ever order compelling internet service providers (ISPs) to block live streaming of matches on computers, set top boxes and other devices

The order is against Eircom/Eir, Sky Ireland, Sky Subscriber Services, Virgin Media Ireland and Vodafone Ireland.

This seems to indicate the blocking will be on a source IP basis with the sources updated during the games.
    The internet protocol (IP) addresses of the streaming hosts will be updated at least twice during match time so that the blocking can be enabled, Jonathan Newman SC, for the premier league company said. It will be possible to respond “within minutes” to the illegal streaming, he said.

I guess we will see how successful this will be over the next Premiership season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

Mod: Deleted no discussing circumventing regional restrictions

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The usual thread warning with this type of thread.

There can be discussion of the court order in general but the second anyone, like the poster above gets involved in advocating methods of illegally accessing FAPL content then they will be immediately banned and on the third occasion it happens I will take the view that this thread cannot continue.

Settopbox takes a warning and his post is being deleted. No further warnings will be issued, straight bans

The ONLY legal way of watching the FA Premier League in Ireland is via a paid subscription to Sky Sports, BT Sport or Premier Sports from a legitimate provider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭galtee boy

If you haggle with Sky, they will do great deals. I renewed my Sports with them yesterday for €17 per month for 6 months, full HD etc, no worries about buffering, will the channel be there when you want it, will the provider be shut down etc. If Sky cop on and keep their prices reasonable and the clampdown on illegal boxes is intensified , I think the days of hooky boxes are numbered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

galtee boy wrote: »
    If you haggle with Sky, they will do great deals. I renewed my Sports with them yesterday for €17 per month for 6 months, full HD etc, no worries about buffering, will the channel be there when you want it, will the provider be shut down etc. If Sky cop on and keep their prices reasonable and the clampdown on illegal boxes is intensified , I think the days of hooky boxes are numbered.

I wouldn't pay them 7 euro a month tbh when it's a free easy work around (and no i'm not posting up how). Sky/BT imo got greedy and this brought about the current massive numbers of people with boxes or watching on laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wouldn't pay them 7 euro a month tbh when it's a free easy work around (and no i'm not posting up how). Sky/BT imo got greedy and this brought about the current massive numbers of people with boxes or watching on laptops.

I don't buy food in shops, it's free and easy to steal instead... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

While I don't disagree that Sky got greedy, what do you think is a fair and reasonable price for live televised sport, in HD, several channels to choose from, red button choices, Sky Go app for watching on the move etc etc ? People cant expect things for free, stuff has to be paid for , if you don't want it, fine don't pay for it, but don't steal it either and whether we like it or not, myself included, using "those" boxes is a form of stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

The cost of sport on TV is a big factor in peoples decisions to look at alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wonder how successful it could be to block every streamed source at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

ELM327 wrote: »
    I wonder how successful it could be to block every streamed source at source.

It's impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

dulpit wrote: »
    I don't buy food in shops, it's free and easy to steal instead... :rolleyes:

Its not stealing. The person putting up the stream is stealing but all the public do is view it. If you went online and watched someone for instance robbing a car would you be responsible for the car being stolen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I had Sky Sports and BT Sport on TV in the UK until last week. Got rid of both as never really got to watch it and, in all sincerity, I only have interest in watching Liverpool play.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's impossible.
    That was kind of what I was thinking
    Its not stealing. The person putting up the stream is stealing but all the public do is view it. If you went online and watched someone for instance robbing a car would you be responsible for the car being stolen?
    And that is why they are targeting the streamer and not the stream-ee

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

So will I be okay on Digiweb then? ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

sugarman wrote: »
    Why not combat it with offering more reasonable prices?

My biggest gripe with Sky is the requirement to have a basic package in order to add the sports channels. Along with having to add HD as an extra.

I don't watch / care for any other channels, If it was €40 outright for the Sports channels Inc HD. Id probably pay it. But €80? Forget it lads.

I used to subscribe to just Setanta / BT pack for €99 a year. Twas brilliant value.

Then Eir came along and made a balls of it, jacking up the price something awful and now theyve lost BT to Sky.

I also subscribed to Eleven Sports last season before that went tits up, €60 was unreal value for the year.

The eir deal was grand for someone like me with eir mobile, just chrome cast it up to my TV off an old mobile whenever I want to watch a game. Now BT is gone its basically just there for LOI and Pro 14 and still not bad value

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    So will I be okay on Digiweb then? ;p

What's Digiweb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭SteM

galtee boy wrote: »

I don't want to haggle for my TV sub every bloody year, I'm not in a bazaar in Tunisia. Just set a fair price and charge everyone that price. I won't want to hear from someone in work that they're paying half price for 12 months when I'm paying half price for 6 months. It just annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

sugarman wrote: »
    Why not combat it with offering more reasonable prices?

My biggest gripe with Sky is the requirement to have a basic package in order to add the sports channels. Along with having to add HD as an extra.

I don't watch / care for any other channels, If it was €40 outright for the Sports channels Inc HD. Id probably pay it. But €80? Forget it lads.

I used to subscribe to just Setanta / BT pack for €99 a year. Twas brilliant value.

Then Eir came along and made a balls of it, jacking up the price something awful and now theyve lost BT to Sky.

I also subscribed to Eleven Sports last season before that went tits up, €60 was unreal value for the year.

Would Now TV be a viable alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

They need to make all games available to view.

I have sky and bt but sometimes the game I want to watch isn't on any TV channel.

I'll stream it if there is no other option.

Unfortunately the FA have taken a view that making all Premier League games available in England at 3pm on a Saturday will kill off the semi-pro/amateur game. That’s their call to make. They apparently feel that making all 3pms available in Ireland will make it too easy for UK venues to show those games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

This was in place in the UK last season. How effective was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭SteM

When you look at NBC on the final day of the season and see how they spread out all of the games across their channels you realise what a poor service the UK/Ireland is getting for a premium price.

icdg wrote: »
    They apparently feel that making all 3pms available in Ireland will make it too easy for UK venues to show those games.

Don't think it's even that it's just broadcasters are just too lazy/cheap to bother splitting the Irish and UK rights up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

When Sky or BT offer up the chance to watch every game then maybe more people will pay for it. As it stands, I can watch 99% of weekend games whereas others are stuck with just the sky/bt offerings.

SteM wrote: »
    I don't want to haggle for my TV sub every bloody year, I'm not in a bazaar in Tunisia. Just set a fair price and charge everyone that price. I won't want to hear from someone in work that they're paying half price for 12 months when I'm paying half price for 6 months. It just annoys me.

So you just pay what the supplier asks for and say thanks very much ? Switching/haggling/threatening to leave a supplier etc is the way to reduce your bills, I do it every year with TV, Phone, Broadband, Electricity, Car and House Insurance etc and I always end up paying less than what the original asking price was. Everyone I know does it, that's domestic economics these days and Sky will bend over backwards more than most to hold on to you, because they know Pay tv is a luxury, not a necessary expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭boccy23

Also a complete pain if you are using the other services for non-Premier League games at that time.

Yeah to be honest at the moment in football terms I just want to watch the LOI which neither Sky or BT offer (yet he says in hope) and Celtic games which are available online mostly. If there's an EPL game on the TV its just a bonus so unless something is set up so I can watch any game on demand I'm unlikely to go out of my way to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sky have taken the piss for years with pricing, and they aren't really making moves to address the way people are now consuming content.

Of course, ways around this will be found almost immediately. I've never had much interest in these illegal streams anyhow, i've always found them to be poor and more hassle than they are worth

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Don't think it's even that it's just broadcasters are just too lazy/cheap to bother splitting the Irish and UK rights up.

They have split them up. Indeed for the very first time in this new rights period, there will be different broadcasters showing the same games in the UK and Ireland (Premier Sports in Ireland, Prime Video in the UK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yeah I don't subscribe because I only want to see my team play, I've no interest in the other live games, I'm happy enough with notifications and then highlights on MOTD.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    They have split them up. Indeed for the very first time in this new rights period, there will be different broadcasters showing the same games in the UK and Ireland (Premier Sports in Ireland, Prime Video in the UK).

Maybe I should have phrased that better, the broadcasters not the sellers are too lazy to split them, they just accept the loss of not showing games in Ireland instead of splitting their feed (for the most part, sky have had a few exceptions)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement