Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are your 3 favorite Desktop Environments?

Options
  • 17-06-2019 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭

Hi.

My top 3 DEs are (in order of most preferred):
    1. MATE
    2. Xfce
    3. LXDE (development is about over but it's still functional)
    I began with Gnome2 so MATE was a natural progression.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

XFCE
    LXDE
    JWM

i prefer the lighter desktops, they not be as nice out of the box but i typically end up building custom themes for each.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭source

Unity
    Budgie
    Mate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oh here I go again with the Old Man talk...

My first real introduction to Unix was on x-terminals running Motif Window Manager, so I have a strong affinity for what was back then, MWM. Simplistic, adaptable, uncluttered, perhaps a metaphor for my life back then. Seriously, though, in a corporate environment, with upwards of 250+ clients, that simplicity was always appreciated when things went pear-shaped at 4:30am.

I became familiar then with CDE, which still stands the test of time.

To show I am not a complete dinosaur, I like Mate currently.

Now where are my sandals?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Its a long time since I used CDE .......

Presently

KDE
    KDE
    ICeWM

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

rayzercork wrote: »
    XFCE
    LXDE
    JWM

i prefer the lighter desktops, they not be as nice out of the box but i typically end up building custom themes for each.

Hi rayzercork.

JWM is nice alright. Have you tried 4MLinux?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    Unity
    Budgie
    Mate
    Hi source. I've never taken to Budgie nor Unity - but to each their own.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Oh here I go again with the Old Man talk...

My first real introduction to Unix was on x-terminals running Motif Window Manager, so I have a strong affinity for what was back then, MWM. Simplistic, adaptable, uncluttered, perhaps a metaphor for my life back then. Seriously, though, in a corporate environment, with upwards of 250+ clients, that simplicity was always appreciated when things went pear-shaped at 4:30am.

I became familiar then with CDE, which still stands the test of time.

To show I am not a complete dinosaur, I like Mate currently.

Now where are my sandals?
    Hi Tom. MATE FTW! (-:

Its a long time since I used CDE .......

Presently

KDE
    KDE
    ICeWM

:D
    Hi John. You like KDE so much that you listed it twice? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭source

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi source. I've never taken to Budgie nor Unity - but to each their own.

When I first started with Linux Ubuntu was using gnome 2 (mate) and I loved it, then Ubuntu went to unity and I initially hated it, it was a complete departure from what I was used to. It led to my first ever bout of distro hopping.

I looked at a few but at the same time gnome went to v3 which I really disliked. I eventually went back to Ubuntu and fell in love with unity once I had it set up the way I liked.

Then came the Canonical decision to end unity and move to gnome and I just couldn't, I absolutely hated it. So I again went distro hopping, avoiding distros that used gnome, and found Solus, as you said to each their own, but I just love the simplicity and fictionality of the budgie UI.

Also its the first distro that I've installed that I haven't had to go searching for a fix to solve some problem or other. Everything just works out of the box. I used to like tinkering with my machine, these days I just want it to work following install.

Edit: I should note that I've tried mate again but after Unity and Budgie it feels ancient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

MATE for me, used to use Gnome but couldn't stick the changes to it so switched to Cinnamon but it crashed too much so ended up with MATE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's been KDE for me for around the last 10 years. I know it's heavy but my PCs were built for gaming so it wasn't an issue. I did use LXDE and XFCE on some crappy laptops in the past though and those desktops worked very well. I also used gnome briefly when KDE went from version 3.5, I think to KDE 4 which was a bit buggy. I went back to it when it stabilised and Unity came on the scene and have been there since.

So:

KDE
    XFCE
    LXDE

Hi rayzercork.

JWM is nice alright. Have you tried 4MLinux?

ive seen it but not tested it, as far as jwm goes ive just rebuilt my old config i had running & managed to get transparency effects and conky working on it too. ive integrated xfce's app finder into it so it has a pop out version of the whisker menu, makes life so much easier :D

source wrote: »
    When I first started with Linux Ubuntu was using gnome 2 (mate) and I loved it, then Ubuntu went to unity and I initially hated it, it was a complete departure from what I was used to. It led to my first ever bout of distro hopping.

I looked at a few but at the same time gnome went to v3 which I really disliked. I eventually went back to Ubuntu and fell in love with unity once I had it set up the way I liked.

Then came the Canonical decision to end unity and move to gnome and I just couldn't, I absolutely hated it. So I again went distro hopping, avoiding distros that used gnome, and found Solus, as you said to each their own, but I just love the simplicity and fictionality of the budgie UI.

Also its the first distro that I've installed that I haven't had to go searching for a fix to solve some problem or other. Everything just works out of the box. I used to like tinkering with my machine, these days I just want it to work following install.

Edit: I should note that I've tried mate again but after Unity and Budgie it feels ancient.

I've tried GNOME3, Unity, and Budgie and dislike them all. Despite MATE have an older setup - I absolutely love it.

opus wrote: »
    MATE for me, used to use Gnome but couldn't stick the changes to it so switched to Cinnamon but it crashed too much so ended up with MATE.

Hi opus. Kudos on your DE of choice! :-) I've never seen the point of Cinnamon.

ive seen it but not tested it, as far as jwm goes ive just rebuilt my old config i had running & managed to get transparency effects and conky working on it too. ive integrated xfce's app finder into it so it has a pop out version of the whisker menu, makes life so much easier :D

Damn, that's a really nice setup you have there. (-:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭chonix

So far, I've using 1) MATE for a long time, and I quite like it. Slick, smooth, simple. When I have to set-up stuff for a Windoze user, I get 2) Cinnamon as base launcher, if it doesn't crash right from the bat... if that's the case, I go with 3a) LXDE or 3b) XFCE

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I just stick to XFCE everytime light weight, highly customizable , just works.
    Does everything I need and want.

Keplar240B wrote: »
    I just stick to XFCE everytime light weight, highly customizable , just works.
    Does everything I need and want.

Xfce may well have the perfect balance of speed, customizability, stability, and looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Am I the only one who likes Gnome 3??
    I just like the way it flows once I customise it.

Gnome
    KDE
    Budgie

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Gnome
    KDE
    Budgie

Different strokes for different folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Gnome
    KDE
    Budgie

GNOME is great. More keyboard driven than others but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The extensions make it highly customisable too.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    GNOME is great. More keyboard driven than others but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The extensions make it highly customisable too.

I've tried to like GNOME (3) but find it unbearable.

I've tried to like GNOME (3) but find it unbearable.

Anything in particular that you hate about it? I use Dash To Dock to move my dock to the bottom and with some nice custom themes it works like most other desktops for me.

Anything in particular that you hate about it? I use Dash To Dock to move my dock to the bottom and with some nice custom themes it works like most other desktops for me.

The file manager is awful, the DE is resource hungry, it takes some jumping through hoops to get it looking right. What if some of the extensions you need go away? I much prefer to just use MATE.

The file manager is awful, the DE is resource hungry, it takes some jumping through hoops to get it looking right. What if some of the extensions you need go away? I much prefer to just use MATE.

Mate is great! GNOME is actually a lot more efficient on system resources since 3.30 - they've fixed some of the memory leak issues and it's much more responsive now. File manager does need some work though.

Still reckon that Dolphin (KDE) is the best file manager around.

Mate is great! GNOME is actually a lot more efficient on system resources since 3.30 - they've fixed some of the memory leak issues and it's much more responsive now. File manager does need some work though.

Still reckon that Dolphin (KDE) is the best file manager around.

MATE just works right from the get go - no going to a website/Tweak App to get extensions to add a feature that should be there already. :-)
    I really can't understand why the GNOME devs stripped down Nautilus/Files so much. I may give GNOME another go in a VM some time down the line.
    Yes, Dolphin is sweet but my favorite file manger is Caja - if I were to choose a 2nd favorite FM - it'd be Nemo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I absolutely love Gnome, it's so productive once you get the hang of the shortcuts and install a few extensions

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I have seen some data from a big survey before that shows that Gnome is the most popular DE, there is a gap of some % points and then its KDE with XFCE not far behind and all the others combined are less than 5% of Linux users.

So its 95% of Linux users who use a DE are using Gnome KDE and XFCE according to that survey which I cannot
    find now.

oldschool linux users tend to like mate from the gnome 2 days, while recent distro hoppers tend to adopt the newer desktops unless they want a lightweight setup.

• Advertisement

oldschool linux users tend to like mate from the gnome 2 days, while recent distro hoppers tend to adopt the newer desktops unless they want a lightweight setup.

MATE fan here.

Advertisement