Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

New Home wrote: »
    Except that that was discussed before and they aren't.
    They wouldn't be as good if they were.
    Rz6EDuo.png

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

...unless you can read between the lines... but, maybe, that ^^^ was the second draft to 50 shades of Grey (i.e., just 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

inforfun wrote: »
    Have to ask but what the hell are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Suckit wrote: »
    Nitpicking, but.........
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114383666&postcount=6059

I do remember we used to call them Koala bears, but I thought that was beaten out of us all in the mid 90's?
    Or are they still called Koala bears in 'Merica?
    Or am I imagining it was/in a small minority that it was?

It was beaten out of us? I still call them Koala Bears, what do you call them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Mr E wrote: »
    MLUH3Uw.jpg?1

Tele? Who calls/spells it tele? It's a TV, television or telly. Not a tele.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A pseudoscorpion, also known as a false scorpion or book scorpion, is an arachnid belonging to the order Pseudoscorpiones, also known as Pseudoscorpionida or Chelonethida.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think they could be newly hatched scorpions or crabs.

EDIT - I stand corrected.

dulpit wrote: »
    Tele? Who calls/spells it tele? It's a TV, television or telly. Not a tele.
    Someone who can't spel

weird looking fukkers anyways . Thanks (and sorry for breaking the thread rules for no chat etc)

That's all right. This time we moved the post, next time we'll feed you to the pseudoscorpions. (and yes, we know we're weird looking f*kkers, no need to rub it in!).

• Advertisement

That's all right. This time we moved the post, next time we'll feed you to the pseudoscorpions. (and yes, we know we're weird looking f*kkers, no need to rub it in!).
    :P:D

Aaaanyway, I find it droll that The Repentent is apologising. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Aaaanyway, I find it droll that The Repentent is apologising. :D

He's not apologising

He's repenting :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

inforfun wrote: »
    A pseudoscorpion, also known as a false scorpion or book scorpion, is an arachnid belonging to the order Pseudoscorpiones, also known as Pseudoscorpionida or Chelonethida.
    Other things that aren't scorpions.sea scorpions

large-eurypterid-size-comparison.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I have a pet peeve of images posted in YLYL that are essentially a bunch of text.

This one takes the biscuit though. A photo of a print out of a bunch of text. Somebody is taking the piss and I like it.

If someone could please explain the joke, that would be nice too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hand shaking is a phrase used in programming / computer techie stuff when one program talks to another <insert tech speak here>

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

20+ years of network experience and I'm about to explain something on the internet that's going to be wrong but I'll try to keep it simple wihout being stupid
    TCP is a mode of sharing information over computers where the computers agree the format/syntax of the communication (in a handshake), UDP doesn't agree they just do a request and response type communication.

tcp-vs-udp.svg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hand shaking is a phrase used in programming / computer techie stuff when one program talks to another <insert tech speak here>

There's no place like 127.0.0.1 :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The best thing about TCP jokes is that you always get them.

The worst thing about TCP jokes is that if you don't get it, they'll just keep repeating it slower and slower until you do.

• Advertisement

There's TCP and TCP.

The best thing about TCP jokes is that you always get them.

The worst thing about TCP jokes is that if you don't get it, they'll just keep repeating it slower and slower until you do.
    ffs:rolleyes:

:pac::pac::D

The difference between TCP & UDP

TCP: Write message on a note and tie to a brick
    hand brick with message attached to neighbour
    Neighbour writes "got it" message and hands it back
    you then write "you're welcome" in it and give it back to him.

UDP: you throw the brick at him!
    You don't care whether he got the message or not.

Or to put it another way.

webrtc-32-638.jpg?cb=1459061501

It was beaten out of us? I still call them Koala Bears, what do you call them?
    Koalas.
    We had a teacher that would tell us that it is (no longer) Koala Bear.
    I guess it must have been that teachers influence throughout the school that made other teachers say similar (if it was ever brought up which was very rare).
    I just remembered it being drilled into us. I never really thought about it until now, but I always thought it was like the more recent 'Pluto is no longer a planet'.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Koalas.
    We had a teacher that would tell us that it is (no longer) Koala Bear.
    Maybe you misunderstood the teacher, or maybe they were just mistaken.
    But there is/was no "no longer" involved. They were never Koala Bears, although the misnomer has been around forever.
    Koala aren't bears, they are marsupial, like kangaroos.

Pluto is different as it was a planet, then suddenly it wasn't anymore.

Mellor wrote: »
    Maybe you misunderstood the teacher, or maybe they were just mistaken.
    But there is/was no "no longer" involved. They were never Koala Bears, although the misnomer has been around forever.
    Koala aren't bears, they are marsupial, like kangaroos.

Pluto is different as it was a planet, then suddenly it wasn't anymore.

Nope, like Pluto, it was never a planet, but was classed as one.
    We (as kids) were told it was a koala bear.
    Then, as the teacher(s) became more informed, we were told that was wrong. It is just a Koala.
    Any time anyone or anything referenced them as koala bears, we were reminded it is not a bear. IIRC it was a little frustrating, as they knew what was meant, even though it wasn't correct.

I just meant the corrections in school must have been similar ( I always thought they may have been) - Pluto is no longer referred to as a bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pluto is no longer referred to as a bear.
    I concur.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't recall Koalas/Koala Bears coming up too often during my education. Maybe they have shifted the focus in recent years.

Advertisement