Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

unknown name

• 02-10-2014 7:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever come across how the GRO indexes people whose name is unknown?

EG: dead body turns up, they can't identify it at all - but death is registered.

Obviously I've seen babies registered with just a surname, but not adults.
    Any thoughts?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Has anyone ever come across how the GRO indexes people whose name is unknown?

EG: dead body turns up, they can't identify it at all - but death is registered.

Obviously I've seen babies registered with just a surname, but not adults.
    Any thoughts?

Do you mean like a John or Jane Doe pinky? Have you found one? A murder victim? Someone who was homeless? Or a hermit with no friends and family? Depending on the era of course but there was a time when people didn't have any ID, or could easily avoid any records. And there wouldn't have been widely accessed media nor dental records to use two other examples.

I've never seen such an entry but I imagine there'd be quite a few of them, especially in the mid to late 19th C.

Edit: it's just dawned on me - who would register such a death and why? Hmmm, I don't know, it's a good question.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, I don't want to go into too much detail but I'm trying to verify a story about someone who was possibly shot during the war of independence. His body was allegedly dumped at the workhouse...I don't have a definite time so going through minute books would be epic undertaking.

If you consider that authorities might discover a body, they would register the death of an unknown person.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Just did a search - there are 'Male Unknown' and 'Female Unknown' entries showing up. Also some 'not known' and some with a first name and 'Unknown' as a surname etc. Is that what you mean?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes - thanks. I was trying "unknown" but it was finding nothing!

FMP still showing nothing when I search like this but familysearch shows a few. Here's one:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRLJ-XPR

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

I just did a random search in "Cork" and a number of them came up. Many of the non-baby deaths have nice rounded ages such as 35, 50, 60.

The standard seems to be Male Unknown/Female Unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Yes - thanks. I was trying "unknown" but it was finding nothing!

FMP still showing nothing when I search like this but familysearch shows a few. Here's one:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRLJ-XPR

A 25 yr old in 1920 - sounds ominous! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just wondering if a body would be brought to a morgue, undertakers, hospital, or the coroner in those circumstances. Anyone from those centres might be the person to report the death for death cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Just wondering if a body would be brought to a morgue, undertakers, hospital, or the coroner in those circumstances. Anyone from those centres might be the person to report the death for death cert.
    Certainly in modern times at least if an unidentified corpse is found there'll be an inquest, and that will result in the death being registered (if it hasn't already been by, e.g., hospital authorities).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This is not a pleasant thought but if a body was not identified or claimed in the 19th century, would they give the body to the Royal College of Surgeons for research and would there be any records of that do you think?

Advertisement