Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

didds wrote: »
    Hi. Why do you say you can't effectively study at home for 2 of the tests? Aren't there examples on the link sent?

I reckon they ment commitments at home

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭UniquePatch

Are they looking for 300 for the panel?

Are they looking for 300 for the panel?

Panel of 300 with 3 year lifespan

Tardis wrote: »
    Panel of 300 with 3 year lifespan

With 932 on the next stage so a 1/3 chance ? Crazy

With 932 on the next stage so a 1/3 chance ? Crazy

With retirement's and early retirement's they could do with 2 classes a year for 3 years coming out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭ Carolyn Big Cereal

I reckon they ment commitments at home

I don't think there's any study that can be done for the aptitude tests - they're tests of aptitude, not knowledge. It's hard to see the benefit of the linked course, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

I don't think there's any study that can be done for the aptitude tests - they're tests of aptitude, not knowledge. It's hard to see the benefit of the linked course, to be honest.

The prep courses are very good and give you an idea of what’s coming up . Plus the more time you can practice the better . I’ve done them before and got the job .

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

What size are the classes generally? From previous posts I gather approximately 40?

If I’m lucky enough to make it on to the panel it will be tough waiting for them to reach me if I’m at the end! Here’s hoping I make it that far

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭davinci88

@Tardis @didds @Donny345

As i said Guys anyone in the mix will know what can and cant be studied at home from the Pre test information recieved.
    I myself am really looking forward to the Stage 2 prep course and after doing the 2 day course prior to stage 1 i am 100% certain that these guys know what they are talking about and only jumped at the chance to do it !

This is a Huge move for me and when i made the decision to attempt it again I decided i would make it my life goal and i am willing to give it 100% effort at every stage ! I am studying psychometric tests/Sudoku/Maths little and often the last few months in order to keep my brain in the zone and i am seeking as much info on the DFB as i can get while also learning as much about the role as possible.

This to me is what i NEED to do right now and as i said before i seek as much help at every stage as i possibly can without compromising myself !

I believe that having your head in the books is not enough if you want to be on that panel !

I am doing this my way and noone elses this time round , if i get there ill be proud as punch , if i dont itll have been good practice for 2023!

What size are the classes generally? From previous posts I gather approximately 40?

If I’m lucky enough to make it on to the panel it will be tough waiting for them to reach me if I’m at the end! Here’s hoping I make it that far

Classes are supposed be dropping to 38 instead of the biggest which has been 48. The current class is about 30 I think . The large 48 classes aren’t working out.

The ff class at the moment split to allow previous recruits do their medic training after being on shift as a ff for 2/3 years . There’s 11 of them on shift as ff and will join the next recruit class to complete paramedic training.

They’re chasing their tales at the moment

• Advertisement

So finish about 700/932 to get interview ? Or?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Dooj

Does anyone know if the order of merit from stage one carries on to stage 2, or is it a fresh scoreboard from stage 2 -3. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Dooj wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the order of merit from stage one carries on to stage 2, or is it a fresh scoreboard from stage 2 -3. Thanks

Fresh scoreboard.

bono_v wrote: »
    Fresh scoreboard.

I’ve heard it’s a total score of every test combined

• Registered Users Posts: 30 JTH80

I’ve heard it’s a total score of every test combined

It said somewhere on the application that score from aptitude will count towards overall score. The first online test was more a questionnaire.
    I’ve a hunch that having family in the fire brigade might make a difference to your interview score aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭P.C.Plod

The 932 spots have been filled and no one else going to be called from here on in unless there’s a complete disaster in stage 2 aptitude results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 radar12

I can’t understand how they expect to fill 300 posts with really high quality candidates from such a small pool . I’m sure there are some really good candidates in the mix but equally there must be a significant number who are not going to excel at the next stage and not going to excel at interview. Why are they limiting the number going forward at this stage so much? It makes no sense to me.

radar12 wrote: »
    I can’t understand how they expect to fill 300 posts with really high quality candidates from such a small pool . I’m sure there are some really good candidates in the mix but equally there must be a significant number who are not going to excel at the next stage and not going to excel at interview. Why are they limiting the number going forward at this stage so much? It makes no sense to me.

932 is a much higher figure for round 2 to previous campaigns. It's all about the training

JTH80 wrote: »
    It said somewhere on the application that score from aptitude will count towards overall score. The first online test was more a questionnaire.
    I’ve a hunch that having family in the fire brigade might make a difference to your interview score aswell.

I think that’s a given, not just a hunch.

932 is a much higher figure for round 2 to previous campaigns. It's all about the training

Do you mean that they are trying to fit around training schedules or that they’ll take anyone reasonably acceptable and train them up?

• Advertisement

Do you mean that they are trying to fit around training schedules or that they’ll take anyone reasonably acceptable and train them up?

The quality of the training received. I'm not saying anyone can do the job with the right training, but I've seen dozens of the people who have applied for this competition and if it's a glimpse of the whole 932 the DFB will get 300 good firefighters from this campaign

It’s madness alright. If you are filling 300 places you’d want to be interviewing at least 900 people.
    But happy days for anyone that gets to the interview. You won’t have a better chance of getting into the panel than this.

I have personal reason unfortunately to know that some absolutely excellent candidates have been ruled out far too early and arbitrarily based on one online test taken at home. Candidates that could excel at the next round and at interview and as firefighters and paramedics.

I have personal reason unfortunately to know that some absolutely excellent candidates have been ruled out far too early and arbitrarily based on one online test taken at home. Candidates that could excel at the next round and at interview and as firefighters and paramedics.

Yep that’s the unfortunate nature of these cut throat campaigns. Great candidates ruled out early doors that would be great assets.

All comes down to budget. Whittle it down as quickly and cheaply as possible.
    I find it odd the “big cut” comes at a time where anyone can sit in front of a computer, not necessarily the person that applied.
    But at the same time they need to watch the budget. Wonder would the money spent on advertising be better invested in the process.
    I’d say very few applied because they saw it on a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

To be honest, stage 1 was a joke.
    It was mainly ridiculously simple questions and resulted in what appears to be very vague scores awarded not based on any real aptitude or intelligence but more so on gender, age and other arbitrary factors. I would imagine stage 2 will tell a very different story as it involves actual aptitude tests such as math and verbal reasoning....it will no doubt result in a huge cull, unless the cut off point is very low.

P.C.Plod wrote: »
    I find it odd the “big cut” comes at a time where anyone can sit in front of a computer, not necessarily the person that applied.
    But at the same time they need to watch the budget. Wonder would the money spent on advertising be better invested in the process.

That’s what baffles me, surely the big cut should happen after the candidates actually present them selves for testing.

A lot of competition from all over for these types of jobs. Just think the budgets gets misspent but thats always the case with public service jobs and hiring with the use of third parties. They also want/need this process moved quickly.
    A lot of people deserve to be in there and there will be others that had people take the test for them and had help.
    The aptitude will weed them out. Well done everyone who got through and deserve to be there.

The panels the same as the last campaign. About 150 . 3/4 classes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

P.C.Plod wrote: »

Agree with you, it is good to see PAS try address cheating with putting state 2 in house. I think that's a good move. As I said if I get put out at stage 2 then so be it. That was my test. It was fair on my part and that's what it's deemed, I would also know the other taking the test done so fairly too.

Advertisement