Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bluefire

Does anyone know if time answering questions is taken into play? Those with equal answers could be docked for taking too long to answer the question?

It’s all automated and results generated through algorithms. Everything comes into affect. All the information you supplied too as previously stated about gender, age, time taken etc....very little human input, if any, put into the results. All done through a third party, not PAC or DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

Bluefire wrote: »
    It’s all automated and results generated through algorithms. Everything comes into affect. All the information you supplied too as previously stated about gender, age, time taken etc....very little human input, if any, put into the results. All done through a third party, not PAC or DCC.

Thanks for the info but gender and age should play no part in the awarding of points. You can either pass the health and fitness tests or you can't.

There are reports of people giving the same answers yet getting different results....very dodgy.

Quadrivium wrote: »
    Thanks for the info but gender and age should play no part in the awarding of points. You can either pass the health and fitness tests or you can't.

There are reports of people giving the same answers yet getting different results....very dodgy.

Health and fitness not really a factor at this point, that’ll play out later. They have to be able to separate people and will use whatever information they can and gender quotas come into affect too. Age may be to look at investment spent on training and getting most out of their buck. Ie get someone for 25/30 years instead of 10 or 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

Test was Untimed so time was not a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭davinci88

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Or just don't meet the standard. Next stages be interesting. No cheating/Extra accounts on day. I done a few appitude tests with PAS, ESB and IE previously. Absolutely delighted this stage is in house and surprised, it's annoying when you follow the rules at home, get ruled out and it's in your mind, if others followed the same. If I miss out at stage 2, I will be happy in the knowledge it's been fair to that point.

Well said mate !!

• Advertisement

Jordon_k wrote: »
    Sure the last recruitment they took 1500 through to stage 2 the first 1000 were called and 500 were called after due to people failing not turning up or had been exposed as cheating according to career services

820 were called to stage 2 in 2015 ! I was 888 !

Also was the last panel not 300 aswell ?

Health and fitness not really a factor at this point, that’ll play out later. They have to be able to separate people and will use whatever information they can and gender quotas come into affect too. Age may be to look at investment spent on training and getting most out of their buck. Ie get someone for 25/30 years instead of 10 or 15.

So now there is an accusation of ageism aswell HAHAHAHA !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

What you're describing, gender quotas and age weighting, are offences under the Equal Status Acts, the prevention of which being one of the reasons that PAS was set up.

What you're describing, gender quotas and age weighting, are offences under the Equal Status Acts, the prevention of which being one of the reasons that PAS was set up.

Nothing mentioned of ageism,
    I’m saying algorithms are in place to whittle down numbers as much as possible. I didn’t say nobody over certain ages or genders won’t get it. It’s used a tool with all other information and there will be people of all genders and ages going in.

All I’m saying is everything comes in to play.

Also, with regards your statement at the end, what are the age limits for Guards and army? What is the acceptable BMI range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Nothing mentioned of ageism,
    I’m saying algorithms are in place to whittle down numbers as much as possible. I didn’t say nobody over certain ages or genders won’t get it. It’s used a tool with all other information and there will be people of all genders and ages going in.

All I’m saying is everything comes in to play.

Also, with regards your statement at the end, what are the age limits for Guards and army? What is the acceptable BMI range?

Only simple scoring systems are allowed (which while technically algorithms, are not complex or indecipherable) because in the event of a complaint, the PAS must be able to demonstrate that their decision did not contravene the Equal Status Acts. They do not score based on gender or age - they would be fools to do do as it would open them up to legal action.

The DF has statutory exemptions to the age and disability grounds - I'm not sure about the Gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Rob_1990

Would it be worth asking for a review of my result? I feel I was very close to the number they're bringing to stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Rob_1990 wrote: »
    Would it be worth asking for a review of my result? I feel I was very close to the number they're bringing to stage 2

Absolutely nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 JTH80

If it’s true that they are only taking 932 to the next stage and if it’s true that they are making a panel of 300 will then any one that has made it this far already has a great chance of getting onto the panel. It’s a one in 3 chance already before it’s cut again for the interviews. Usually it’s a 1 in 4 chance by the time the interviews come around. The odds are heavily in your favour already!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I mentioned I have been around the block with these tests, Garda, Fire, IR, ESB.

The number one rule is, patience. Lots of them, these things take ages.

Secondly, unless something is set in stone, then it's just guessing unless it's noted somewhere it's hear say.

So far we know, PAS haven't said to anyone they are out. They have given an OOM out, invited a certain amount to the next stage. That's what we know.

From my experience with PAS, this is similar to the how they operated the Garda intake, IE, 'bands', although they haven't mentioned it. This is band 1, people in band 1 are first up, it doesn't rule anyone else out. PAS will have a standard that DCC want, if PAS don't get that and most likely won't from this band (sorry everyone) then they'll move onto band 2, and so on, until they get the 300 for the intake. It's annoying not been first up, but used that to your advantage, look ahead to what could come up in the next stage, do a bit of preparation while you wait, gather information on the next stage from anyone taking it.

And again, back to rule 1, patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jordon_k

Right lads I emailed to get clarity and this is the email I got in response

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we are only calling candidates who placed up to and including 932 on the order of merit to Stage 2 of the competition.

As you have not fallen within this category you will not be progressing to Stage 2 at this time.

We have no plans at the moment to call anymore candidates forward however should the need arise to call more and we reach your order of merit we will be in contact with you.

I apologise that my response could not have been more favourable.

Kind Regards

It’s not saying for definite that you are out but for the foreseeable future there not bringing anyone else like above said if the first batch don’t meet the standards they move into batch two
    Hope this helps in some ways

The only thing is timeframe. Interviews are set for January. So they won’t have time to get the first batch in and see who meets the standard and then get another batch in all before January interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

JTH80 wrote: »
    The only thing is timeframe. Interviews are set for January. So they won’t have time to get the first batch in and see who meets the standard and then get another batch in all before January interviews.

There won't be a second batch in my opinion. The 300 panel will be formed from the 932

Tardis wrote: »
    There won't be a second batch in my opinion. The 300 panel will be formed from the 932

As good as it is for us that got called, I just can't see them pulling that number from 900 odd people.

Are we sure 300 is the panel size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

There won't be a second batch in my opinion. The 300 panel will be formed from the 932[/quote

This is correct . They’ll take forward from the 932.

If they make a panel of 300 it’d take 5/6 years to use up .1 class a year . Maybe it is 300 but I doubt it . More like 150-200

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    As good as it is for us that got called, I just can't see them pulling that number from 900 odd people.

Are we sure 300 is the panel size?

If any previous dfb campaigns are anything to go by there will not be another batch.
    Wouldn’t be surprised if only around 800 turn up for the next phase between cheating accounts etc.
    300 was all the talk coming from dfb management but they are cutting it really fine to get 300 suitable candidates from only 932 left.

• Advertisement

Fire1985 wrote: »
    There won't be a second batch in my opinion. The 300 panel will be formed from the 932[/quote

This is correct . They’ll take forward from the 932.

If they make a panel of 300 it’d take 5/6 years to use up .1 class a year . Maybe it is 300 but I doubt it . More like 150-200

The last panel was 4 years, 2016, remember it well!

Did they get all 200 filled in the end?

I suppose thinking about it, they took less to stage two last time? 650 or so?

I am pretty sure at interview last time also, the people getting the green like where getting 85%+ as that's what DCC said was the average point wise of those getting past interview, think I got 79%.

It's a straight up, cut throat competition.

A few people on here asked me for the FF job description handbook from DCC, I gave it out, but the mindset is ingrained in your mind, 'Don't give it to them, they could get ahead of you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Another mate was 1080,he just got a call to pick his date. So they're going to fill the 932

• Registered Users Posts: 33 wilson palacios

A word of advice for anyone on a panel.

I previously got onto the final panel. (around 2012) Done the aptitude and main interview. Thought I had the job. Number seventy something on the final panel of 200 recruits.

4 years of waiting and they simply disbanded the panel altogether and ran a brand new recruitment drive about 6 months later. It broke my heart, I was so annoyed i didnt bother applying again even though it was my dream job.

So my advice is, dont stop your own career in whatever you are doing at present just because you get on a panel. It means nothing to them to just stop recruiting from the panel. Good luck to all who are in the mix! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jordon_k

kingstevii wrote: »
    Another mate was 1080,he just got a call to pick his date. So they're going to fill the 932

When did he get this call today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Jordon_k wrote: »
    When did he get this call today ?

Closing date for applying for aptitude test for first 932 was 12 o clock today. He got an email this afternoon. so i presume therell be another round in another 4 or 5 days.. Or until the 932 is filled..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭UniquePatch

Are more people getting called to do the test or is it only to fill up the 932?

This might be worth its weight in Gold for a few !

http://testpreparations.ie/dublin-fire-brigade-firefighter-stage-2/

I did the 2 day course back in October and i would highly reccomend them !

I just booked it myself and hadn't came across it until i rang them, i was actually ringing up to get some advice moving forward !

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

davinci88 wrote: »
    This might be worth its weight in Gold for a few !

http://testpreparations.ie/dublin-fire-brigade-firefighter-stage-2/

I did the 2 day course back in October and i would highly reccomend them !

I just booked it myself and hadn't came across it until i rang them, i was actually ringing up to get some advice moving forward !

But wasn't everything in round 2 covered in the 2 day course because it was normally also in round 1

But wasn't everything in round 2 covered in the 2 day course because it was normally also in round 1

Maybe !

But i did that course 5 weeks ago and there was alot in it !

You can't effectively study at home for at least 2 of the tests in stage 2 in my opinion ! Anyone in the mix will know what i am talking about.

If I get onto the Panel it will have been Well worth it in my opinion and I will take all the help i can get to get me there !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

davinci88 wrote: »
    Maybe !

You can't effectively study at home for at least 2 of the tests in stage 2 in my opinion ! Anyone in the mix will know what i am talking about

Hi. Why do you say you can't effectively study at home for 2 of the tests? Aren't there examples on the link sent?

Advertisement