Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best towns in Northern Ireland for Stags

• 10-04-2021 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey,
    Organising stag for late in the year, probably going to head up North as it has a better chance of pubs being open then. If its all closed down then so be it, we will cancel, but if they are open I'm trying to figure our best options.

Ideally somewhere with good pub per square mileage in one central location. Thinking of a medium sized places, along the lines of Carrick or Kilkenny, where everything's pretty central.

Am thinking the likes of Enniskillen, Omagh, Derry, Newry but have no clue the quality of nightlife in any of them!

Anyone have any suggestions, even random spots that I probably wouldn't have even thought of!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

None, everywhere closes too early and the natives are not very friendly.

If you’re “stuck” and have to go then I’d say stick with Derry.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Misread the title as "best town for slags"! Freudian slip?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Assuming you're avoiding Belfast, go for Derry as it has a greater number of pubs and is more used to tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Northern Ireland is poxy for nightlife. Belfast has its spots, but with likely tensions in areas there for the foreseeable future, I'd be going anywhere else.

Desperate nightlife up there. Pig thick bouncers grabbing your pint glass out of your hand the very minute closing time is reached. Soulless pubs. Suspicious locals. No chance of a lock-in.

To be honest even some hellhole like Portlaoise or Tipperary town would be a better choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Misread the title as "best town for slags"! Freudian slip?

Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah here, despite the moaning of people on here about how dour us nordies are we're a fairly welcoming bunch.

I've met up with many travelling mates when I'm home in Derry and they all remark how open and chatty people are if you're just sitting by yourself in the pub.

If you're going around Halloween, go to Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

sambowden wrote: »
    Hey,
    Organising stag for late in the year, probably going to head up North as it has a better chance of pubs being open then. If its all closed down then so be it, we will cancel, but if they are open I'm trying to figure our best options.

Ideally somewhere with good pub per square mileage in one central location. Thinking of a medium sized places, along the lines of Carrick or Kilkenny, where everything's pretty central.

Am thinking the likes of Enniskillen, Omagh, Derry, Newry but have no clue the quality of nightlife in any of them!

Anyone have any suggestions, even random spots that I probably wouldn't have even thought of!!

In normal times Derry has a good nightlife. If it's pub crawling then Waterloo Street all the way across Castle Gate to Bennigans on John St will cover plenty of good bars, live music is pretty common too.

Haven't been clubbing in Derry in a long time but the Nerve Centre and upstairs in Masons were great spots and Sugar or whatever it's called these days is your run of the mill big nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sambowden

i assume there are late bars up there like down south, open until like 2am!?? Wouldnt be any of us too interested in night clubs I dont think.

Sounds like Derry might be best bet. Suits us as we are coming mainly from the west so handier than the other side.

Think at this stage Im just in a 'beggars cant be choosers' kind of mindset and as you can imagine Im just hedging my bets a bit by going up north - more chance of pubs being fully open and as we have to book some accommodation soon enough Im not left with much options...

Our alternative was to rent out a big gaff somewhere and thats still an option but just thinking lads might be a bit sick of drinking in houses at that stage as we have a summer of that ahead of us.

• Advertisement

sambowden wrote: »
    i assume there are late bars up there like down south, open until like 2am!?? Wouldnt be any of us too interested in night clubs I dont think.

Check “closing times” well in advance. Also, be wary of the nationalists just as much as the unionists. Nothing worse than having some screeching nordie in your ear ranting about how the people of “free state” abandoned them.

And, please, steer clear of Portadown. It’s nothing but a hive of spite and malice.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bubblypop wrote: »
    If you're going around Halloween, go to Derry

But make sure you're wearing fancy dress otherwise you'll stand out like a sore thumb.

Cushendall

been reading pubs must close no later than 1am in Derry, is that still the case!? Any talk of it changing once they reopen this summer?

That would be a bit of a deal breaker alright I'd say, 1am is very early!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Larne, Ballymena and Portadown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Nice pubs in, Strabane, Clady, Crossmaglen, Cappagh, Silverbridge, Carrickmore, Coleraine, Keady, Bessbrook, Belleeks, Camlough, Newtownhamilton & Charlemont.

Most of the small villages like Belleeks & Cappagh only have the 1 pub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Ah yeah those 2 million northerner's are unfriendly.

Unlike Dublin were nobody will try to rob you or sell you pills &/or heroin the second you get of the train.

cheers, will check them out, ya I'd say there would need to be at least 5 or 6 pubs, also a also a decent sized hotel to fit all 15/20 of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,472 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nice pubs in, Strabane, Clady, Crossmaglen, Cappagh, Silverbridge, Carrickmore, Coleraine, Keady, Bessbrook, Belleeks, Camlough, Newtownhamilton & Charlemont.

Most of the small villages like Belleeks & Cappagh only have the 1 pub

I'd say it would be a first for the likes of Silverbridge, Beleeks or Newtownhamilton to host a stag party.

Everything closes early in Northern Ireland and I think the main nightclub in Derry (which also closes early) shut down a few years back.

Dunno why Belleek is mentioned. It has 2 pubs, the hotel can’t be relied upon to be open and the locals always bussed it to Bundoran anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,472 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Everything closes early in Northern Ireland and I think the main nightclub in Derry (which also closes early) shut down a few years back.

Dunno why Belleek is mentioned. It has 2 pubs, the hotel can’t be relied upon to be open and the locals always bussed it to Bundoran anyway.

Beleeks, Co Armagh.

Beleeks, Co Armagh.

Oh. Carry on then I don’t know that place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Northern Ireland has a handful of excellent golf courses and a pleasant coastal drive. There's very little else to recommend about it. Belfast is a dour and grey little city, and you can almost smell the bitterness and resentment off the place. Everything closes early as well, and we found ourselves back at the bar at the Fitzwilliam at 12.30 to get a night cap. Certainly wouldn't recommend it for a stag.

What I've always found surprising about people from Northern Ireland is they consider themselves really friendly. Preposterous. The much-vaunted Ulster Fry tends to be little more than a plate of grease and cheap pieces of highly-processed pig meat.

Dreadful part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Larne, Ballymena and Portadown.

Especially in July.

Going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here but I went to a great stags in Monaghan years ago.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here but I went to a great stags in Monaghan years ago.

Monaghan is in the republic.

The tide is turning…

Monaghan is in the republic.

I know. Hence the reason I said I'll throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭wally79

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I know. Hence the reason I said I'll throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

OP is worried restrictions in republic will still be in place hence looking at NI

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Desperate nightlife up there. Pig thick bouncers grabbing your pint glass out of your hand the very minute closing time is reached. Soulless pubs. Suspicious locals. No chance of a lock-in.

To be honest even some hellhole like Portlaoise or Tipperary town would be a better choice.
    Northern Ireland has a handful of excellent golf courses and a pleasant coastal drive. There's very little else to recommend about it. Belfast is a dour and grey little city, and you can almost smell the bitterness and resentment off the place. Everything closes early as well, and we found ourselves back at the bar at the Fitzwilliam at 12.30 to get a night cap. Certainly wouldn't recommend it for a stag.

What I've always found surprising about people from Northern Ireland is they consider themselves really friendly. Preposterous. The much-vaunted Ulster Fry tends to be little more than a plate of grease and cheap pieces of highly-processed pig meat.

Dreadful part of the world.

Always amusing reading the thoughts of those who have clearly never set foot north of the border.

OP, northerners are of course friendly, as friendly as anywhere else. We do have a very low tolerance for pompous, pretentious visitors who visit with a misplaced sense of superiority. I suppose like anywhere else really. OP, if you fall into this category you might think northerners are unfriendly.

Personally, I'd recommend Belfast. Good for pub crawls are there are lots of good pubs in a short walking distance. IMO it's better than Dublin in some respects.

Unfortunately, the 1am closing time is pretty much universal and it's enforced pretty rigidly. This is the major downfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭pgj2015

awec wrote: »
    Always amusing reading the thoughts of those who have clearly never set foot north of the border.

OP, northerners are of course friendly, as friendly as anywhere else. We do have a very low tolerance for pompous, pretentious visitors who visit with a misplaced sense of superiority. I suppose like anywhere else really. OP, if you fall into this category you might think northerners are unfriendly.

Personally, I'd recommend Belfast. Good for pub crawls are there are lots of good pubs in a short walking distance. IMO it's better than Dublin in some respects.

Unfortunately, the 1am closing time is pretty much universal and it's enforced pretty rigidly. This is the major downfall.

No one from the south is going to be booking Belfast after what has gone on there this week.

Advertisement