Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running after Covid

Options
  • 21-01-2021 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi, wondering how other runners have found getting back to running/sport after having Covid. I got covid in December, a month has passed since I got it and I have been trying to return to
    gentle running and cycling. Prior to covid, I would have been active 4-5 times a week. I was quite sick with it & extremely weak. I thought I was almost over it, but now I think I have post covid syndrome. I get light headaches regularly, shortness of breath at times, dizziness, fatigue and my heart rate increases for no reason during these episodes. My very easy run pace is showing a heart rate between zone 4 & 5 no matter how slow I go. I realise this could last for months and longer and dont want to stop exercising totally. Anyone else in the same situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Hi, wondering how other runners have found getting back to running/sport after having Covid. I got covid in December, a month has passed since I got it and I have been trying to return to
    gentle running and cycling. Prior to covid, I would have been active 4-5 times a week. I was quite sick with it & extremely weak. I thought I was almost over it, but now I think I have post covid syndrome. I get light headaches regularly, shortness of breath at times, dizziness, fatigue and my heart rate increases for no reason during these episodes. My very easy run pace is showing a heart rate between zone 4 & 5 no matter how slow I go. I realise this could last for months and longer and dont want to stop exercising totally. Anyone else in the same situation?

Is the HR on the watch legit.. Sometimes mine shows a max HR which is glitch, I reset the HR in settings and it goes back to normal.

I can't comment on Covid but wish you a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Bear in mind that you have had a virus, post viral fatigue is normal and takes time to recover.

I had a viral infection late Jan/early Feb that hospitalised me. Took 6 weeks after my discharge before I could say that I fully recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    Is the HR on the watch legit.. Sometimes mine shows a max HR which is glitch, I reset the HR in settings and it goes back to normal.

I can't comment on Covid but wish you a speedy recovery.

Thank you. Not sure how accurate it is, as it is based on 220 - my age, always planned on getting a more precise heart rate data but injury and covid has got in the way. I can try re-setting but it does go to zone 1 once I stop running.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭event

I had it at end of december/start of January.

I found it pretty tough to get back to it. Have been left with a bad cough and some tiredness in evenings. On my first run back I did 2m and the HR (using garmin strap) was up in Zone 4 or 5. So I am just doing 3m runs at the moment and I am not bothering about pace. I am focusing on getting the HR in to Zone 2. Forget about where ye were before. You'll get to it but it just might take some time is all.

There are no races really so no rush. Dont be too hard on yourself and expect to be straight back to where ye were

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

To be brutally honest, I think you should continue to rest your body until you are fully recovered. You've had a serious virus, you're still suffering the effects of that. If you push yourself to exercise now you could do more damage and really is it worth it? Rest and then rebuild your fitness in 4/5 months when you are better able. I haven't had covid thankfully but have experience of virus (pneumonia) and training through illness. Not what you want to hear probably but a daily walk and some gentle yoga is as much as I'd be considering until you are fully recovered. Be kind to yourself and take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Like all viruses it can take a while until it leaves your system.

Only you will know as everyone is different but HR would be a sign off when it leaves your system.

Even lying or sitting around the house would even show it. Your resting hr be up

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

I was going to start a thread here too about the exact same issue. Tested positive before Christmas and have been trying to do a few miles this week. I’ve been off work until this week trying to recover, still have headache, fatigue and upper back pain behind the shoulder blades. Noticed on my easy run yesterday my heart rate was high 180s when it’s usually close to 120s/130s so I’ve decided to just cut running until I’m fully recovered. It’s just not worth it. I’m friends with a physio who’s sent me on a return to exercise plan which says you should only return to exercise 7 days after you’re showing no symptoms so I’m going to go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Anyone else in the same situation?

The same as yourself but my symptoms during the fever were mild. Post fever tiredness, slight headache fatigue and dizziness and increased HR.

My Blood Pressure was extremely high as well during these bouts which tended to happen in the afternoon.

As a result I am taking a lie/down rest for an hour after lunch every day if possible. GP referred me to Local medical assessment unit so had 24hour BPM and ECG. Of course first day I had none of the above symptoms and everything came back fine

Doc said I could return to running. First outing last night 2 Miles very easy keeping at my HR @ 130-140. Pace was 10:30/mile. Previously could do 9 Min/mile at that HR for much longer. Thankfully no breathlessness but I have taken to doing this workout on a track as to avoid the added stress of hills.

Best advice take it very easy. We will need time to Recovery and I suspect it may be some months. By all accounts anyone I have spoken to even with mild doses it does create havoc in the cardiovascular and energy systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Taking it easy seems to be the only option, let's hope the after effects last for only a few months, as op said no races or events to train for. Looking forward to hearing how everyone's recovery and return to running is going. Hoping to get out for a short low hr run twice a week and see how that goes. Hope it won't set me back, but I find it hard not to exercise at all, will monitor it and get GP advice if symptoms linger.
    ger664 wrote: »
    The same as yourself but my symptoms during the fever were mild. Post fever tiredness, slight headache fatigue and dizziness and increased HR.

My Blood Pressure was extremely high as well during these bouts which tended to happen in the afternoon.

As a result I am taking a lie/down rest for an hour after lunch every day if possible. GP referred me to Local medical assessment unit so had 24hour BPM and ECG. Of course first day I had none of the above symptoms and everything came back fine

Doc said I could return to running. First outing last night 2 Miles very easy keeping at my HR @ 130-140. Pace was 10:30/mile. Previously could do 9 Min/mile at that HR for much longer. Thankfully no breathlessness but I have taken to doing this workout on a track as to avoid the added stress of hills.

Best advice take it very easy. We will need time to Recovery and I suspect it may be some months. By all accounts anyone I have spoken to even with mild doses it does create havoc in the cardiovascular and energy systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Here’s Matt Fitzgerald’s experience. Worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Take it very easy. I had it early on (March) and I was absolutely flattened by it at the time, when I came out of quarantine 3 weeks after becoming ill I was so weak I struggled to walk the 5 minutes to my local Tesco. I've had multiple attempts to get back to running since then but have struggled with chest pain, fatigue and shortness of breath issues for a long time. I'm mostly ok now and am running 3-5km a few times a week but it's taken a long time to get this far. I'm on asthma medication when I had no issues of that sort before. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to be getting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Thought I would update here.
    My main symptoms Post Covid were/are Fatigue and Flucations in Heart Rate and BP

Things that aided me over the last 6 weeks.

HRV
    On a polar watch its called a fitness test. Technical bit is at rest the RR interval between each beat should vary and the more it does the better. It allows the heart to respond and recover quickly to rapid changes in movement/stress.

Had done this way back once when I was in 3:15 shape (have a few lockdown kilos on board) and it spat back 59 Elite

Start of Feb it was 38 poor. It varied from day to day and has gradually got back to 54 which is probably what it was at pre covid. Any day that there is a +5 drop from the previous I toake it easy no run, turn the work phone to DND etc. There was a good few and I still get the odd one (Sunday for example) and generally I still get tired/fatigued on those days.

HR Recovery
    Probably linked to above but after running I would note how many how far my HR would drop after 1 minute and 2 minutes. Low figures indicated a rest/slow down is needed

Revive Active
    GP recommend this and while I am not one for supplements I must say that on day seven of taking this I noticed a massive improvement in my general health.

On the running front I have this week got back to running in Lees Road which is quite undulating with no effects on my HR or breathing. I am doing ~10K split in 2 with 5 minute walk. Pace is still slower then what I would like it but I am damn grateful to be vertical and back running.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Great to hear you're back at it. I'm on 10 weeks post positive test for Covid and it's only last week that I've began to feel normal again. My main symtoms were breathing issues, headache and pain in the back. I've been into A and E twice for ECG and Chest x-ray and all came back ok. I went back running last week and beginning to feel better every run. I'm up to 25 minute runs. I'm taking Terre Nova Life supplement, magnesium, CoQ10, Tumeric and Zinc, I've no doubt all of these helped me.
    I'm in Quin myself so would run frequently in Lees Road (pre-lockdown), part of 2 running clubs in Clare also so no doubt I've seen you around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭event

ger664 wrote: »
    Thought I would update here.
    My main symptoms Post Covid were/are Fatigue and Flucations in Heart Rate and BP

Things that aided me over the last 6 weeks.

HRV
    On a polar watch its called a fitness test. Technical bit is at rest the RR interval between each beat should vary and the more it does the better. It allows the heart to respond and recover quickly to rapid changes in movement/stress.

Had done this way back once when I was in 3:15 shape (have a few lockdown kilos on board) and it spat back 59 Elite

Start of Feb it was 38 poor. It varied from day to day and has gradually got back to 54 which is probably what it was at pre covid. Any day that there is a +5 drop from the previous I toake it easy no run, turn the work phone to DND etc. There was a good few and I still get the odd one (Sunday for example) and generally I still get tired/fatigued on those days.

HR Recovery
    Probably linked to above but after running I would note how many how far my HR would drop after 1 minute and 2 minutes. Low figures indicated a rest/slow down is needed

Revive Active
    GP recommend this and while I am not one for supplements I must say that on day seven of taking this I noticed a massive improvement in my general health.

On the running front I have this week got back to running in Lees Road which is quite undulating with no effects on my HR or breathing. I am doing ~10K split in 2 with 5 minute walk. Pace is still slower then what I would like it but I am damn grateful to be vertical and back running.

I actually decided to get the Revive Active myself to help recover, had read a bit about it. Really helped me too.

You will definitely get back to it. I had COVID over Xmas and could barely run 3 miles once it was gone.

Yesterday I broke my 5k PB so it might take time but the pace and endurance will come back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

My positive result was Easter Sat. Symptoms began the prev Wed.

Started a base training plan this week and have noticed I'm about 40 seconds to a minute slower per km than I was previous at the same effort.

A little over two weeks with no running, but I've had that before with injury lay up and didn't drop as much fitness.

Reading above it seems others are in a tougher situation with it, so I guess I'm doing ok.

Will play it by ear for a few weeks and see if things improve.

Advertisement