Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

YouTube Premium thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I've added people to my family account after signing up and not had an issue.

Just tried it myself with my secondary Gmail, and it failed, telling me I was in a different country to the family manager.
    My primary account has its payment set to Argentina, to get the Argentinian rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I just tried adding my work account and it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Worked with my VPN set to India. Great value for €1.45 per month and I got a free month's trial!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭SteM

So I've just cancelled my YT Premium account and it ends on 08/02. On 08/02 I just login to my google account via VPN set to India and re-join for the lower cost - is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

kaerobe wrote: »
    You need the VPN to sign up, not to continue to access.
    My YT on my TV has Irish music/new releases.
    My YouTube music app on my phone is full of Indian music. Top 100 chart is mostly hindi stuff. Not using a VPN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

ShaneU wrote: »
    My YouTube music app on my phone is full of Indian music. Top 100 chart is mostly hindi stuff. Not using a VPN.

It shows the indian charts and stuff but all your normal music is there. Once you listen to some stuff it'll show you your usual stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    It shows the indian charts and stuff but all your normal music is there. Once you listen to some stuff it'll show you your usual stuff.

This.
    If you *really* want to listen to the Top 100 Irish Songs (or wherever):
    You can change the chart location in the YT Music app - Explore > Charts. Under the title Charts is a dropdown, you can set it to Ireland. But in my experience it reverts to the payment country when you leave.
    So, when in the Irish chart click See All. That takes you to the current playlist of those 100 songs, and then you click the "add to library" "+" icon. It will now be in your Library tab, to play when you want. The playlist *should* update automatically when songs are added and removed by Google.
    Cumbersome? Yes. But it's an option if you want the Irish chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Is India the cheapest? Also of your already signed up to google drive will that affect trying to do this via vpn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

YouTube is fantastic this way.

Very tempted by Tidal. Been a Spotify family member for years but that's €15 a month. Main issue is knocking the rest of my family off it and Spotify works very well with Google home. Might just scrap Spotify for the moment and stick with YouTube music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Mine shows all the normal Irish/English music as per usual with no mucking around like the above.

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »

Very tempted by Tidal. Been a Spotify family member for years but that's €15 a month. Main issue is knocking the rest of my family off it and Spotify works very well with Google home. Might just scrap Spotify for the moment and stick with YouTube music.

Get yourself onto a Spotify plan on Boardss. Only cost €30 per year!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jarren1

Thanks OP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

Get yourself onto a Spotify plan on Boardss. Only cost €30 per year!

Like how?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

I know this is going OT, but....

This is a walkthrough I created around Black Friday time for Tidal. Assume it's still relevant, bar the black Friday sale part.
    Soarer wrote: »
    Right guys and gals.

Complete novice walkthrough. If I can do it, anybody can.

This is for a single sub, not a family sub.

1. Found a free VPN here https://www.hotspotshield.com/
    2. Registered for their Premium service, which gives a 7 day free trial.
    3. Installed the VPN, opened it, and set it to Turkey.
    4. Clicked on this link https://www.tidal.com/blackfriday
    5. Followed the registration process my Revolut card.
    6. Registratrion went through for the 4 months @ TRY1.99 a month, and will continue @ TRY19.99 after that.
    7. Installed Tidal on my phone, and logged in to make sure everything was working.
    8. Logged back into HotSpotShield and cancelled my subscription.

That's pretty much it from start to finish. Literally took less than 10 minutes for everything.

P.S. At today's rates, the monthly sub is costing €0.22 per month, and the full rate will be €2.13 per month.

EDIT: Don't know how this sort of witchcraft works, but if you go to tunemymusic.com, you can transfer your playlists/songs from one service to another.
    It mightn't catch them all, but it's pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Aquos76 wrote: »

That's the exact guide I used before.
    I hadn't used VPN for anything before so put it of for a while because I assumed it would be awkward and complicated. Or is easy easier than it even sounds.
    Go for it.
    I'm paying 189 rupees a month for unlimited music Anne videos (which I hardly ever use)without ads; have also shared with my wife and both my parents as family members in same cost
    You literally only need the VPN for the tone it takes to sign up. Then go back to using normally and can add people to your family same as always.

The only minor downside is that on YouTube music the recommendations are mostly Indian artists even though my usage location is set to Ireland in every way I can, So far, I haven't found any way of adjusting this . If anybody has, of love to know

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Tidal family is about 1.80 a month for the whole family. Only snag is Amazon echo, it only works on US anaxon devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

TheDriver wrote: »
    Tidal family is about 1.80 a month for the whole family. Only snag is Amazon echo, it only works on US anaxon devices.

ah balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

TheDriver wrote: »

Works on UK Echo? scratch that, FireTV :(

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TIDAL-Music-AS/dp/B0119DBAW8

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Works grand on my echos but I use an Amazon dud US account for my firestick and echos rather than my UK account.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Some earlier posters asking about existing Youtube Premium members. I was an existing Youtube Premium member (was worth it back in the day when they made their own content). These are the steps I took to get Family membership in India:
    1. Cancelled my current YouTube Premium membership (after cancelling I had one week left of premium benefits)
    2. Set up a Google family here https://families.google.com/families - as per nephster's post above waited til all family members had accepted
    3. Set up a VPN - my current one (AirVPN) didn't have India or Turkey so went with Surfshark (if you haven't looked at VPN features in a while, the bigger brands have come on a lot)
    4. Just as an added step, I dug out my passport and finally finished registering for Revolut. I understand it wasn't necessary to use Revolut and you can use your normal card, but sure why not
    5. Went to the YouTube Manage subscription page here: https://www.youtube.com/paid_memberships and clicked in to the Family Membership (if going solo, the premium link is also on this page)
    6. Turned on the VPN and refreshed the page
    7. Prices changed to Rupees
    8. Clicked on the subscribe buttons - 10 rupees for the next week, then 189 for next month.
    9. Only asked me for an Indian State - not a full address. (Dehli, by the way!)
    10. That's it, access was instant.

Also, I would suggest making sure your family members you invite are their gmail addresses, just for ease of them using on their phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Do you have to have indian rupees on your revolut for this to work using an indian address.

I've just setup everything up and revolut says theres a temporary hold on my card??

uli84 wrote: »
    Like how?

Search spotify family, there's a post about three weeks ago. Same thing as you tube - use a VPN and sign up to whichever country it's cheapest in. You don't have to set up a family plan but it will work out cheaper if you have other members.

Do you have to have indian rupees on your revolut for this to work using an indian address.

I've just setup everything up and revolut says theres a temporary hold on my card??

Same thing happened to me earlier on. There was a 2c charge on my Revolut card but it's been reverted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just to repeat a question can you cancel your Google drive sub and take it out in india as well and save on the €1.99 per month similar to premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Don't know if this helps, but:

Started the sign up to Revolut just after work, so around 6-ish this evening.

After all the sign up,I just added 75 euro to my Revolut (amount chosen at random by me - no particular reason except I wanted enough to cover a few months of Youtube).

Then I realised account was limited until I verified my identity. Did the whole passport scan and selfie thing.
    Also realised you have to go into settings and verify your email address.

Approx 50 minutes after starting the process - at exactly 6.50pm - I got an email that my Revolut account was now fully setup and I could use it to 'manage' my money. Jokes on them - I'll be using it to spend it instead!

Then I just entered the details as you would a normal mastercard debit card on the Youtube sign-up page mentioned in my previous post.

According to Revolut, this was about 7.12pm when I signed up to Youtube Premium, so the process took somewhere between and hour and an hour and a half.

I did not fill in anything on Revolut about India.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

Surfing from India using NORDVPN and the YouTube premium sign up page is displaying the price in AED which I googled and is the currency of United Arab Emirates? This happening to anyone else? It works out to 5 euro a month when converted so not quite as good as rupees..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Beersmith

psicic wrote: »
    Some earlier posters asking about existing Youtube Premium members. I was an existing Youtube Premium member (was worth it back in the day when they made their own content). These are the steps I took to get Family membership in India:
    1. Cancelled my current YouTube Premium membership (after cancelling I had one week left of premium benefits)
    2. Set up a Google family here https://families.google.com/families - as per nephster's post above waited til all family members had accepted
    3. Set up a VPN - my current one (AirVPN) didn't have India or Turkey so went with Surfshark (if you haven't looked at VPN features in a while, the bigger brands have come on a lot)
    4. Just as an added step, I dug out my passport and finally finished registering for Revolut. I understand it wasn't necessary to use Revolut and you can use your normal card, but sure why not
    5. Went to the YouTube Manage subscription page here: https://www.youtube.com/paid_memberships and clicked in to the Family Membership (if going solo, the premium link is also on this page)
    6. Turned on the VPN and refreshed the page
    7. Prices changed to Rupees
    8. Clicked on the subscribe buttons - 10 rupees for the next week, then 189 for next month.
    9. Only asked me for an Indian State - not a full address. (Dehli, by the way!)
    10. That's it, access was instant.

Also, I would suggest making sure your family members you invite are their gmail addresses, just for ease of them using on their phones.

So you just have to wait until premium ran out before resigning up yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

Mecrab wrote: »
    Surfing from India using NORDVPN and the YouTube premium sign up page is displaying the price in AED which I googled and is the currency of United Arab Emirates? This happening to anyone else? It works out to 5 euro a month when converted so not quite as good as rupees..

Yes, same for me with Nord. Tried multiple times connecting and disconnecting to the 2 available India choices.

After 10 minutes faffing about, I downloads hola temporarily and got connected and signed up no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Just done it for premium, so happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

No you don't need to convert on Revolut for it to work. Revolut will do the conversion out of your Euro account. The temporary hold should drop off shortly.

Mecrab wrote: »

This is a common problem with Nord from what I've read. As another poster mentioned Hola should work.

Advertisement