Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running - A hobby or a lifestyle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Murph_D wrote: »
    Bumping this, it got lost and I think it’s worth some discussion (maybe in relation to the ‘what is easy anyway’ part of the original Q).

Maybe the question should be turned around to ask ‘Do you run hard pace runs hard?’ Some runners who are more casual about it probably never get the HR up where it should be (some of the time).

Another thought - ‘lifestyle’ runners are not necessarily better runners. I’ve met a few serial parkrun tourist types for instance, who are totally caught up in the ‘cult of parkrun’ and travel to different events every weekend. By building their lives around parkrun they are almost certainly lifestyle runners (genuine hardcore members of the parkrun tourist subculture). Lovely people, and some of them are very good runners. But a good few are more casual about the performance part.

Which is fine. The point being ‘lifestyle’ vs ‘hobby’, while a marker of dedication and identity, is not necessarily related to ability or performance.

Clearly! I chose lifestyle rather than hobby and not fast!! I chose it because since I started running (as a hobby) 10 years ago, most of my social life, friends etc are now runners or members of parkrun/Sanctuary runners. The place where I now live was in part chosen because there were parks, trails and hills to run in, I'd consider that to be lifestyle, rightly or wrongly. Also the % of running shoes and clothes that I own!! Had I googled the definition of both before posting I might have said a bit of both as others have done and perhaps that's a more accurate reflection.

I don't think you have to be at the top of your game in any area to use the lifestyle label.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Is running their lifestyle or is parkrun?

Good point! But parkrunning is still running. For a lot of people it's their only run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Who are these 58 people who voted on the poll? Be a busy spot if all those numbers posted regularly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

So I’m a complete running neophyte, and probably can’t offer much perspective of value here.

But I do come from a fairly extensive strength sport background (broke some junior national records, competing 10+ years, ranked nationally as a lifter, and coached internationally at a senior level).

So maybe a slightly outta left field soliloquy may be of interest to some.

To get to the aforementioned levels in lifting, it pretty much takes over your life. Or at least it’s your second/third thing. It’s like the three place theory (home / work / Starbucks).

There’s work, then lifting and family, though for a lot of people lifting ends up coming first, or at least negatively impacting A LOT of the rest of your life.

You need to dedicate 15-20 hours per week to keep progressing. The training sessions are HARD and long, and you spend a lot of time hurting. I’d imagine the same happens as you to start to push towards BQ levels and beyond.

Being a top ranked amateur in any sport is much the same in my experience.

So answering the original Qs with a slight lifting tinge…

Do you run easy run EASY? What is easy anyway?

Like running, most of the true development work happens in the 65-80% range with lots of frequency and skills practice. The closer competition comes, the more you sharpen the axe in higher percentages / effort.

But for the most part, your training in very manageable ranges but it’s the volume that beats you up. Then there’s some heavier skills practice, that becomes more specific as competition comes close.

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories?

...this is kinda a given from a lifting POV. So flipping it around - you don’t see a lot of lifters doing any kinda cardio work. Some will, but it’s not a pre requisite.

You can get pretty good without it, but from a longevity POV, you wanna be doing some aerobic work. It helps improve work capacity, and get more quality work done in a session. And like running - all things being equal, the one with the most quality volume accumulated over the longest time period’s prolly gonna win.

Do you run to compete?

Personally - meh. I compete fairly well, but I don’t like it. I’ve won some overall comps, medalled nationally and always performed near or at the peak of my performance (and sometimes beyond!!) but I don’t like it.

I don’t really give a **** about external validation. Maybe if I was winning world championships I’d feel differently, but I kinda feel like at that point I’d also say “I don’t really give a **** about external validation”.

I’ve always had a problem timing my peaks, very often hitting peak strength 2-3 weeks out. It’s always been frustrating, but based off those training efforts it’s always been easy to get a good read of strength potential (kinda like indicator paces for TTs).

Do you run to eat biscuits/drink wine?

The older I’ve got, and the less competition has formed a core part of my identity, the less I care about restricting things. I reckon I’m here for a good time, not a long time, and once I’m not writing myself an early ticket on the RIP express, what’s the harm.

You’ll always regret that meal / drink / night out you missed more than the single training session you did in it’s place.

But it’s a question of priorities. I don’t think I’d have achieved the lifting / strength levels I did with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Also... once more from a lifting POV - I know a lot of **** lifters who make it a lifestyle, and a lot of truly GREAT lifters who just have it as part of their life. One doesn't follow the other.

And in my experience the ok/average lifters who make it a lifestyle just want a tribe to be a part of, and that's totally cool. Crucial even, because very often they're the grassroots people who facilitate the growth and survival of local competition which allows sport to thrive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I hope no one minds if I jump in here. A neck like a jockey's *bleep* I know. But I have a few things I need to get off my chest :D

I always thought I did. Turns out I was heading out the door at a normal pace (not even knowing what it was) and with that as a platform for other elements of a plan, it had a knock on effect. Before every event, I got so nervous not good nerves, but lamb to the slaughter type of nerves. It would last the entire week leading in to it. Would be all I could think about. Come race day, I just wanted the head wreck over and done with so I'd get there way too early be too long hanging around letting the nerves build. Everyone crammed around me freaking me out becoming a bunch of feet playing with my mind. By mile 2/3 I was mentally and physically wrecked and they never worked out.

It was only after the mile TT I learned that if I couldn't lash a mile out at x speed, I saw in black and white there's no way I'm being honest with myself. So I stripped it back and now I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more and faring better than I ever have (before the thyroid element emerged) . I had so many what I call buttery runs where it all flows in a smooth rhythm since copping on. It then means when the plan says to run at 10k for 2 mins, I'm making sure I'm no where near the mile pace either!

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories

The fact that I've got nothing more to say about it than 'No', says it all. I am trying to fix it though

Do you run to compete?

Now. This is the crux I wanted to get to. Obviously in the way its meant in this forum, no I don't run to compete. I do want to get better at competing though. I want to be the picker rather than being the pickee. I don't want the nerves to be a factor because I'll have followed a training plan properly, using proper honest paces and all I have to do come the day is execute it. So why would I be nervous?? ;)

At the end of the Raheny 5 mile years and years ago :pac: I was coming to the end, dying, clinging on, full sure I'd be crawling if the finish line didn't materialise soon. Then I heard a girl over my shoulder tell her buddy 'when you get to here you start picking people off'. Well you're not picking me off, I thought and I pegged it! My level of pegging it. And that's what I want again.

Lois from Malcolm in the Middle when she takes up ballroom dancing often comes to mind when I think of me and running. Where she thinks she's great until she sees herself on video. In my mind I think I'm doing everything I should be and then I go to an event and get my a$$ handed to me.

When I did the second 5k TT last year I'd practised and followed a plan for it. I know doing a self TT is not the same, it was on home ground and so many factors taken away. On the flip side there was no 'noise' and I had the space to practise and concentrate. It was simple, do the first loop faster than the second. I controlled it and I did it.

The 10k TT was in or around the same time, similar idea - I controlled it and I did it.

So maybe it's just a matter of practice. If I haven't left it too late that is.

This is the other crux. I only started running to rectify the damage done by biscuits and wine over years. And for the first few years I was so focused and good. It wasn't a case of, I've had a run I can eat this or I'll have this and run it off tomorrow. It was all to be better at it. But then as no improvements came I could see no point, binged, felt guilty about binging, was again now running to rectify the damage, became Lois again, got disappointed, rinse and repeat in the same vicious circle again and again. It came to a point where I absolutely hated it and was just stuck in a loop. I can see it when I (reluctantly) look back on strava, I hated it and eventually chucked it all in.

Here I am back again, like Lois. But it is so different. If I could get another go at it, I really think I could work positively towards getting it right. I've never enjoyed anything more than the two plans last year. They were SO much fun and so much more doable, because the platform paces I was going from were more appropriate. I have a patience now because I've seen if I put the work in I will improve and that improvement has got to, with practise, eventually lead to me lying on the grass in the Pheonix Park flaked out having picked off a load of runners and absolutely nailed it.

It's all I'm after :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Love that...Great post

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

As Ecoli keeps telling me “ training not straining”

TbL

Haven't seen that username in years, I remember him being a great source of information. Does he still post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Haven't seen that username in years, I remember him being a great source of information. Does he still post?

KSU is the latest incarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

As a younger man I just ran. Nearly all of my training was one-paced. If I felt good it was easy. I didn't think about it.

When I restarted running in my 50s I began to understand the value of easy runs. Now, most of my running is easy. Funnily enough, I find I run faster on grass than road. I feel the grass causes me to lift my legs more, but the effort is similar. I find I train at a much slower pace than my running buddies, but during races or parkruns I can increase my pace relative to them.

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories

I do this in spurts. I feel a spurt coming on. :rolleyes: I do massage my calves (the bane of my running existence) frequently.

Do you run to compete?

I "race" parkruns. Not concerned about beating other people, just having a good strong run, with a semblance of a kick finish. The TTs were a great impetus to do some faster training. I really enjoyed the mile and treated it like a race, with a 20 minute warm-up.

Much of my running is done with improving my health in mind. I spent much of my 30s and 40s piling on the weight, and now I'm trying to undo the damage, so from that point of view, running is lifestyle.

Still lots to do, though. Foam rolling, stretching, s&c...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭omicron

OOnegative wrote: »
    Who are these 58 people who voted on the poll? Be a busy spot if all those numbers posted regularly here.

I'm guilty of this. Reading here for years but rarely contribute much as rarely feel I have much of value to say!

So I'll make an effort!

Running aimlessly for quite a few years, doing an odd race here and there, then ran DCM in 2019 and got a bit more in to it, resulting in joining a club last year and taking running and training a bit more seriously.

I used to be terrible for this, all runs were the same pace, too fast. Have improved in the last year so yeah, most of the runs that should be easy, are. Mostly on feel rather than looking at the watch, but easy ends up being 7.30-8.00 min/mile which is probably about right based on race times.

Not enough. Didn't at all until a recent calf injury, have gotten better at foam rolling, bands etc since but could do a lot more.

Do you run to compete?

Yes. Not at it long enough and still young enough to be in a position where I'm usually close to a PB, and close enough to the top of the field in local races, xc etc to be making a difference for team scores so that adds incentive. Don't think I'd run nearly as much if I thought there wouldn't be races at some point in the not too distant future!

Unfortunately yes, terrible diet which age and running are letting me get away with for now but if I slip below 30 miles a week the weight starts to pile on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Great thread to feed conversation for the new year! thanks for pulling it out of the logs... I had missed it there.

I think I mostly do, it's a little trickier to know what easy pace is depending on buggy/no-buggy. But I defo do a lot of running at a pace that I can hold "forever" and feel no tiredness in my legs after etc.

Pace wise it tends to look right based on the various calculators online.

S&C - I'd give myself a 'C'. I do partake, and to an ok level. But definitely could improve.
    Yoga - 'C' not a full routine, but do plenty of stretching over the work day.
    The Rest - 'F' cos I do nothing.

Do you run to compete?

Since this conversation kicked off I've been mulling this one. And particularly in the context of the argument re competing with yourself. I don't really run to compete with others. Even when I do a mass participation event (remember them), I'm competing with the device on my arm (apart from the odd "let's pick off 10 people" etc).

It might surprise some people that know me (and have seen me play sport/games), but I actually don't consider myself that competitive. What I do want is to do things right with the resources I have available. And that's what I do with my running. In the time/ability I have available to me, am I using my time well? If I can generally say yes to that question, I am happy.

Definitely a little. But not in a crazy way, just a biscuit after dinner.

Lifestyle or Hobby

Both to be honest. Are hobbies not part of your lifestyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

crisco10 wrote: »
    It might surprise some people that know me (and have seen me play sport/games), but I actually don't consider myself that competitive. What I do want is to do things right with the resources I have available. And that's what I do with my running. In the time/ability I have available to me, am I using my time well? If I can generally say yes to that question, I am happy.

It will take me a while to get over this one!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Guilty as charged. Im a lurker!

I am getting better at running easy days easy. I would have been guilty of running too hard when I first started running. I was able to run faster as I wasn't doing particularly high mileage and also making rookie mistakes. As mileage has increased and sessions more specific and targeted, my easy running has become a lot slower and controlled simply because it needs to be.

Easy for me is listening to a podcast, music, running somewhere different like sand dunes or trails, or chatting with a running partner. Little or no concern about pace. My easy run paces range from 4:35-5:20 min/km (7:25-8:35 min/mile) depending on the day. For reference, my current 5k race pace is 3:20/km (5:21/mile).

I currently do strength training 2 or 3 times a week. Day 1- chest & back (pull ups/push ups). Day 2- Arms & shoulders (dumbbell type stuff). Day 3-Legs.

I do yoga and stretching once or twice a week.

Im great with foam rolling and resistance bands etc when it's too late. I have had a couple of injuries over the years. I'm good at rehab but pre-hab is nearly non-existent.

Do you run to compete?

I run for fun and lifestyle but I definitely use competition as a big motivator.

I am realistic to know that I am not going to win a meaningful race. However setting mini-goals definitely drives me and helps me make plans. I like to compete against my previous times and train to try beat them.

I am also competitive with other runners, boardsies, parkrunners, friends and family members. Seeing other ppl improve drives or inspires me to try improve too.

I don't run to facilitate my diet. I'm Guinness/IPA drinker and eat my fair share of takeaways and cake :D

Lifestyle or Hobby

Running started as a hobby or a means of exercise back in 2012. Initially it was about trying to get fit and run races. In the 8 years since it has morphed into more of a lifestyle choice for me.

I run 6/7 days a week and it gives me an identity and good health benefits. A nice morning run clears my head and sets me up for the day. I am type 1 diabetic and running has provide excellent benefits to me in managing that. I also get great social benefits. My wife and my extended family do parkrun. It's a great way for us all to meet up and do something together. Ultimately, training and achieving a running target still gives me a great buzz too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

ReeReeG wrote: »
    It will take me a while to get over this one!!! :pac:

I thought it might.

Ill make my second attempt at posting on this. Hopefully this one doesnt get lost in the internet wilderness.

I think I'm pretty good at keeping easy days easy. I dont really follow the pace on my easy days. I tend to just go on feel and the pace takes care of itself. I'd usually do little tests to keep me entertained like breathing through my nose or asking myself could I have a full blown conversation (I run alone mostly). My easy pace range is usually between 7.50/mile to 8.30/mile depending on the training/sleep/stress. More often than not I find my easy pace is slowest the day after a long run or long session. I've always gone by the mantra "Easy is a feeling not a pace".

Nope! It's been debated and discussed a bit in my log. I definitely understand the benefits and completely get why its high on peoples agenda. Its something I'm sure i'll do more of as the smallies get less small and the demands on my time change as time goes on. For now I'm balancing quite a bit in life and its a delicate ecosystem :D . The only times I've really put an effort into foam rolling etc is when I've become injured and I panic. Training load and life stress is a big thing for me in staying injury free.

Do you run to compete?
    I've thought about this one a lot. I've never been good enough to be competing at the pointy end of any meaningful races but I am competitive. If I see people I know doing well in running, I want to do better. That's why this forum has been so good. I think a lot of us motivate eachother. I'd love nothing more than to race folks on here as I think it would probably bring out the best in me in terms of racing but also preparation. In reality I compete mostly with myself, my own improvement. I want to do better than I have done before. Another thing for me is that I enjoy the process more than anything. It's why I've actually enjoyed my running more in the past year than at any other time. The lack of races has helped me.

I dont run to do those things but I have an awful sweet tooth. Probably had a little too much "wine" last year. It's been difficult over the past year and I think most people have their crutches that they lean on in difficult circumstances. The January cleanup has begun though. Dry January is already showing benefits both mentally and physically. As for chocolate, thats a work in progress, but one thing at a time eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

My wife is a more experienced runner than I am, so I learned early on about the importance of easy running. I think that for the last 18 months / 2 years I've changed from pace for easy / long runs to relying on HR and capping that at a sensible, if somewhat arbitrary, value. The only number on screen for easy runs is my HR. I get pace alerts per-mile, but pay no heed to them.

Have recently started a base building plan for Faster Road Racing that is wholly based around HR, which is a first for me. There isn't really truly "easy" running in the plan. Think they even refer to the general aerobic runs as moderate, as opposed to easy.

The follow-up 5k plan that I'm looking at does have recovery "effort" runs, particularly after sessions. These are probably more akin to standard "easy" runs. I'd also expect that depending on fatigue levels, even the GA runs would likely tend towards to lower end of the HR band, bringing them in line with what I'm more normally consider "easy".

S&C: No, although as with many others here, I do see the value of it. Clearly, I don't consider that value to be higher than the value of sitting on my ass watching telly in the evening.

Yoga: I was doing yoga for a while (30 days of Yoga with Adrienne) last year and keep meaning to re-start. Found it made a big difference at the time.

Foam rolling: A bit, mainly glutes and back. Have one of these beasts.

Accessories: Also have various spiky massage balls and a foot roller/massager that get varying amounts of usage.

Do you run to compete?

Interesting question and some interesting answers from others here. I'm never going to be competing at the pointy end of the race, but that doesn't mean I'm not competitive.

For me, running is about being the best me I can be at any one time, setting realistic targets and trying to achieve them. Depending on fitness, etc. that could mean a PB, or as at the moment, simply showing consistent improvement.

Presently I'm nowhere near PB territory, but with the right plan and good application, I'm hopeful that I'll be back there again in a few months.

So, the main driver in running for me is one of self-improvement and about challenging myself. That said, there's a certain satisfaction to be gained in beating your peers in proper races, when you know that the main difference was not ability, but rather adherence to and successful execution of a training plan.

I started running because I wanted to keep eating biscuits / chocolate and drinking wine / beer, without continuing to pile on the pounds. As I've become more competitive in my running, the drinking has definitely taken a hit, although my diet is still mostly chocolate (and crisp) based.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ill make my second attempt at posting on this. Hopefully this one doesnt get lost in the internet wilderness.
    Thank you!

I think I'm pretty good at keeping easy days easy. I dont really follow the pace on my easy days. I tend to just go on feel and the pace takes care of itself. I'd usually do little tests to keep me entertained like breathing through my nose or asking myself could I have a full blown conversation (I run alone mostly). My easy pace range is usually between 7.50/mile to 8.30/mile depending on the training/sleep/stress. More often than not I find my easy pace is slowest the day after a long run or long session. I've always gone by the mantra "Easy is a feeling not a pace".
    S&C aside we are quite similar in this regard. Another reason why a regular meet up would be good once lockdown permits.
    Nope! It's been debated and discussed a bit in my log. I definitely understand the benefits and completely get why its high on peoples agenda. Its something I'm sure i'll do more of as the smallies get less small and the demands on my time change as time goes on.
    I shoulder pressed my 4 year old at the breakfast bar 30 times yesterday morning. Fun for him, S&C for me... win win... just saying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yoga: I was doing yoga for a while (30 days of Yoga with Adrienne) last year and keep meaning to re-start. Found it made a big difference at the time.

Foam rolling: A bit, mainly glutes and back. Have one of these beasts.

Accessories: Also have various spiky massage balls and a foot roller/massager that get varying amounts of usage.

:eek:Holy Crap that Roller is a beast :eek:

I just ordered a foot roller.... now have 4 different running orders winging their way to me :o Foot roller seems like bang for buck for an accessory while sitting at a desk :)
    71VuaviZX%2BL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Adrienne has another shiny new 30 day for January set

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Yes.
    Easy by feel not by pace. If my legs are heavy I'll just let them do what they want and won't force it, especially if its a run before work at 6am. I do keep an on my heart rate every so often and see if in and around 130bpm. Its quite hilly where I live so depending on the route I might have 3km or 2 mile at the start mainly down hill so that might make runs look faster on Starva because I'm just rolling, also twice a week I'm adding strides to my easy runs so again that will make them look a bit faster too if you look at the averageon Strava.
    I'll do a standard core routine from strength running on YouTube twice a week along with a little band stuff. I try to do it on session days but its not always the case depending on the time.

No yoga or foam rolling.

Accessories? Like drills?
    Strides (4-8x 20 sec) or short hills (4-8 x10-12sec) twice a week either in the middle of a easy run or towards the end of it on the day before a session. Its normally two sessions a week so after my warm up I usually spend 10 to 15 minutes doing my activations and drills then 3 or 4 strides before starting the session.

Do you run to compete?
    Yes.
    I'll complete against myself first always trying to improve. In a race especially a local one I'll always want to beat those who are around my level. In bigger races particularly the last few km I'll try pick off as many other runners as I can. If its a race with not much quality in depth I'll push hard for a place on the podium but that's very rare. I've often rocked up to a parkrun to run it as a tempo and found myself pushing on a bit in last km if someone is breathing down my neck when I'm in 1st or 2nd place. Saying that I'll never "race" a session with the boys on the track.

No.
    I eat plenty of stuff I shouldn't if I want to be my best, I try to keep a eye on it with my fitness pal but when I'm getting serious about racing I'll go cold turkey for a few months. I rarely if ever drink anymore. I don't get much free time so being hung over just seems like a waste of time. I don't miss it or crave it and I'm not anti alcohol or anything like that. If things were normal I've love to go for a few pints if there was a good few of the lads going out but it was becoming less and less frequent even before covid. Auld age:pac:

• Advertisement

MY BAD wrote: »
    also twice a week I'm adding strides to my easy runs so again that will make them look a bit faster too if you look at the average on Strava.

If things were normal I've love to go for a few pints if there was a good few of the lads going out but it was becoming less and less frequent even before covid. Auld age:pac:

Funny its the opposite for me. Strides drag my average way down due to the walking recoveries (not that I care).

As for pints - McGrattan's 2022 - It'll be epic!

Funny its the opposite for me. Strides drag my average way down due to the walking recoveries (not that I care).

As for pints - McGrattan's 2022 - It'll be epic!
    Probably something I should do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Strides drag my average way down due to the walking recoveries

Jeez you were a big enough blouse wearing your tights out running till I read this!!!

Jeez you were a big enough blouse wearing your tights out running till I read this!!!

Haha if you're jogging/running your strides recovery you're doing it wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Derailing the thread I know but how long do you give your strides recovery? I've found a little ~80/100 meter section to do some strides. Should it be a walk back and start again or a timed recovery?

MisterJinx wrote: »
    Derailing the thread I know but how long do you give your strides recovery? I've found a little ~80/100 meter section to do some strides. Should it be a walk back and start again or a timed recovery?

I'll go by what I've read (and been advised by coach). Doesn't matter really as long as its full recovery, in otherwords your HR has fully returned to normal. I stride for 20s, spend a minute walking around then stride back the opposite direction for 20s... Usually 6x20s strides with 60s walking recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,515 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Do you run easy run EASY? No I can't, I'm just weird every single time I go running I end up going hard even when I plan to go easy,
    I love going for runs but I hate when I'm running and want it to be over as soon as it can , But I will always do the distance I set out to do no matter if that is 5 -10 -15 - 20k ( the very odd time)

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories? When gyms are open I do this a lot more ,

Do you run to compete? I hope to this year

Do you run to eat biscuits/drink wine ; To eat Chocolate and have whiskey (now & again)

I would walk my recoveries on short hills alright. I'd always jog or shuffle the recoveries on strides for about 60 seconds or longer if my breathing was heavy. Most stuff I've read would say jog recovery on strides 60 seconds or until hr is down. Definitely no harm walking I'll give it a go!

MY BAD wrote: »
    I would walk my recoveries on short hills alright. I'd always jog or shuffle the recoveries on strides for about 60 seconds or longer if my breathing was heavy. Most stuff I've read would say jog recovery on strides 60 seconds or until hr is down. Definitely no harm walking I'll give it a go!

I guess the purpose of the strides is purely neurological and form/technique. So there isn't really any benefit to jogging the recovery. It's not a cardio improvement exercise. But I'm honestly no expert. I've just gone by what I've read and been told!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Great topics for a thread and I've enjoyed reading the replies.

Running - A hobby or a lifestyle?
    For me it started as a hobby, just something for me to do outside of work, home and family life and also just to be able to run, eg if there was a local fundraising 5km at least I knew I could take part. However over the years it has developed and shaped more of my life. I got involved in my local parkrun and now both myself and husband are on the core team. My son joined the local athletics club and over time I've become a coach/coaching assistant for the kiddies. I've met so many people through running from all ages and all walks of life. I'm reserved and anxious with people I don't know and the likes of parkrun, coaching and local running group have brought me out of myself and given me new skills.

Nope! I probably overthink it. I run many of my easy runs at a faster pace than easy because that's the pace I want my easy runs to be (if that makes sense).
    I find sometimes I would do a run at easy pace and find it hard, and I get demoralised. But at times I've had a lovely enjoyable run and looked at my pace after and it's been tempo.

Not really. Foam roll if I have a niggle or if my calves are tight.
    I started doing keepfit classes online during lockdown 1.0 and went to the actual classes during the summer. But since the second lockdown end of Oct I fell out of the habit of them but I'm starting back online this evening! I know I should do them, I know they do benefit me, I have a weak core and no strength in my arms. I defo saw the benefit of the classes this year in little things, like just feeling stronger when I'm running.

Do you run to compete?
    Not really, unless it's to compete to not be last! For me a race is more an event, it's to check how my running is going, it's the cumulation and result of a training plan. Sometimes for me a race is morning/day out, a social thing, an experience. Apart from races, I run for the social aspects it brings, especially parkrun and my local group runs and well as the solo runs where you get to clear your head and get some fresh air.

Yep! It's about balance. I wouldn't berate myself that I need to do 5 miles cos I have to run off a bar of chocolate, but rather I would enjoy that bar of chocolate knowing that I do make a good attempt at trying to be active.

Advertisement