Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Running Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Your comment about not the fastest wins reminded me of Molly Seidel's slow mile attempt last year i.e. she tried to run a mile a slowly as possible... She had it on Instagram, think she was 38 mins or something! We could have a condition that you have to do it in daylight so we all face up to our egos 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

What's the idea?!

Won't be disclosed until Feb. Ill move it to March if others have suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Tried again last night. Paused my watch without realising around the 45-minute mark. "Stopped" my watch at what I thought was the hour and was confused by the 45 minutes glaring back at me. The only downside to not checking your watch frequently!

The annoying thing is elapsed time was 59:53, so I would've been so close!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Attempt 2 - 59:59. Actually 59:59:50 so just out by half a second but strava wont give me the half second.

Finished with a yelp of excitement, a shake of the head in disbelief and then realisation that no one else will believe it.

Did it on a looped route that Ive run hundreds of times. So I knew the distances and just had to decide how much extra I had to add on to make up the time. Pure fluke.

Omeceron wrote: »
    Attempt 2 - 59:59. Actually 59:59:50 so just out by half a second but strava wont give me the half second.

Finished with a yelp of excitement, a shake of the head in disbelief and then realisation that no one else will believe it.

Did it on a looped route that Ive run hundreds of times. So I knew the distances and just had to decide how much extra I had to add on to make up the time. Pure fluke.

Wow!!!!

• Advertisement

Nice! :eek: That could be the winner :) The only way this can be beaten is if someone clocks 1:00:00. Just over a week to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

BOOM schlock lock! Imagine if it was 59:59.51 :pac:

Congrats N :D That won't be beaten. Looks like you've saved me having to try again (55:10, stinkbomb)

Updated standing

Validated (Pic or link provided)
    Omeceron -1sec
    BeginnerRunner -1sec
    Unknown Unthought -10sec
    Dudda +17sec
    Kander -24sec
    Murph_D +24sec
    Shotgunmcos -55sec
    ReeReeG -58sec
    Comic Book Guy +59sec
    Dubh Geannain +79sec

Not Validated
    dna_leri +5sec
    skyblue46 -7sec
    Huzzah +70sec
    Swashbuckler -183sec
    Pheredykes +254sec

BOOM schlock lock! Imagine if it was 59:59.51 :pac:

Congrats N :D lThat won't be beaten. Looks like you've saved me having to try again (55:10, stinkbomb)

Register something though, valuable points to be gained going into February ;)

Points system and a table :D

Like I said, valuable points to take into the February Challenge. It will be worth getting yourself on the table now as the next challenge may be your fortay :D. 20 points for best score and minimum of 1 point for registering an effort.

Registered attempts that are not validated score less.

Pos|Runner|Result|Jan Pts
    1|Omeceron| -1sec|20
    1|BeginnerRunner| -1sec|20
    3|Unknown Unthought| -10sec|19
    4|Dudda| +17sec|18
    5|Kander| -24sec|17
    5|Murph_D| +24sec|17
    7|shotgunmcos| -55sec|16
    8|ReeReeG |-58sec|15
    9|Comic Book Guy| +59sec|14
    10|Dubh Geannain| +79sec|13
    11|jamule|-115sec|12
    12|Swashbuckler| -181sec|11
    13|dna_leri |+5sec|10
    14|skyblue46| -7sec|9
    15|Huzzah |+70sec|8
    16|Pheredykes |+254sec|7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I was convinced I wasn't going fast enough,sure what would i know

Might try again next week, was far too fresh , just ticking over at a nice steady pace, had the watch taped so I wouldn't look at it. 1st half was downhill and the wind at my back, the opposite on the 2nd half.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4662012195/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sigh - can't believe you made me do this........

Sigh - can't believe you made me do this........

It gained you 3 points... might make a difference next month :D

Fail!

Even worse than Huzzah!

So went out for another go at this. Fair idea where the 6km turnaround was. Back home after a relaxed smooth run in the cold. Uncovered the watch totally interested, to find I had not started it :rolleyes::o

So went out for another go at this. Fair idea where the 6km turnaround was. Back home after a relaxed smooth run in the cold. Uncovered the watch totally interested, to find I had not started it

Oh noooo.. Never mind the challenge but just not recording a run at all would really annoy me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

Gave this a go with the buggy this morning, had mapped out a route with a variable finishing point (basically 600m laps for the last 1km or 2 until I felt I was there).

However, I need the judges decision. I have 2 finish times i.e. Moving Time (58:37) and Elapsed (59:49). When I'm out for long runs I do usually pause my watch if I stop to sort out E in someway, but I had resolved NOT to do that this morning. We did stop a few times to fix hats on a cold day, but I really was surprised to see the difference between Elapsed and Moving. Could I have stopped it out of habit?? I don't know.

Anyway, I feel the Moving time should count. A) cos it's the weaker effort, but also B) I had aimed to judge my pace on distance which I was "moving" across. Annoying to have this ambiguity, because I'm pretty happy with the result!

Edit: link for validation. Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/kbjL7ZVOhdb

It's elapsed all day long!

You wouldnt have had to stop your watch for there to be a difference between the two. Strava picks up if you have stopped moving (I think) and adjusts your time.

It's shotguns call but the time should be from the moment you hit start to the moment you hit stop. Doesn't matter what happens in between. In my opinion!

crisco10 wrote: »
    Gave this a go with the buggy this morning, had mapped out a route with a variable finishing point (basically 600m laps for the last 1km or 2 until I felt I was there).

However, I need the judges decision. I have 2 finish times i.e. Moving Time (58:37) and Elapsed (59:49). When I'm out for long runs I do usually pause my watch if I stop to sort out E in someway, but I had resolved NOT to do that this morning. We did stop a few times to fix hats on a cold day, but I really was surprised to see the difference between Elapsed and Moving. Could I have stopped it out of habit?? I don't know.

Anyway, I feel the Moving time should count. A) cos it's the weaker effort, but also B) I had aimed to judge my pace on distance which I was "moving" across. Annoying to have this ambiguity, because I'm pretty happy with the result!
    Hey thanks for participating! You make it 18 participants. I was looking for 20 to go for another challenge in February. Still a week to go.

Either way your moving time, if thats what you want to submit, will get you 10pts on current standings. Validated efforts rank above non validated regardless.

Or in other words, start the watch, just run and guess when its an hour, stop the watch and see what it actually is.

Save your run and post the link to your strava

I'd go with elapsed time personally and let that be it. Moving time too subjective.

One week to go! Those who bank points this month will certainly have a headstart on challenges to come. Some will be fun, some hard, some bizarre.

What I will say about the February challenge is you need to commit to a number.

How?
    Your current/recent/PB 10k time rounded to nearest minute
    Or
    Double your 5k time rounded to nearest minute.

Get them in this week! There will be a cut off!

Edit: As an example
    If your recent (within last year) 10k was 54:34, your number is 55
    If your recent 5k (Boards TT will do or more recent) was 17:17, your number is (2x 17:17) rounded to nearest number = 35

If you don't have a recent 5 or 10k, pick your next 5k or 10k goal. Doesn't matter what the number is, all fun :D

Table update - 6 days left in this challenge but it counts towards next month.

1|Omeceron| -1sec|20
    4|Dudda| +17sec|18
    5|Kander| -24sec|17
    5|Murph_D| +24sec|17
    7|shotgunmcos| -55sec|16
    8|ReeReeG |-58sec|15
    9|Comic Book Guy| +59sec|14
    10|Dubh Geannain| +79sec|13
    11|crisco10|-83sec|12
    12|jamule|-115sec|11
    13|Swashbuckler| -181sec|10
    14|dna_leri |+5sec|9
    15|skyblue46| -7sec|8
    16|Huzzah |+70sec|7
    17|Pheredykes |+254sec|6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Planning my attempt today! Expectations are fairly low but if you not in....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Gave it a go this morning. I know i'm not the best at judging my own pace so knew this would be hard enough to do. At times I thought I was going too fast, then too slow! Anyway my attempt came in at 57:54https://www.strava.com/activities/4677600000?source=global-footer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I think I'll have a go too. The previous run I did shouldn't be on the list really as it wasn't an attempt. :pac:

Had another go after my last failure.

1:00:13.. Better :)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4678902742

I knew where to turn for approx 12k. Found a rhythmic plod :rolleyes: Also knew I tend to speed up on the last k home as it slowly declines and flattens out after a long drag up town. Ended up relaxing it too much on this last bit!

Won't get better so thats it for this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Am a bit in shock at how well this went!!! I have been trying to be more aware of how it feels when I run my easy pace and have counted my steps per breath to get an idea of the rhythm. Had a rough route in mind but there were some things that would throw this off, the first mile is mostly downhill which means that same mile in reverse is uphill and I don't often run that hill home opting to stop runs and walk it. I also knew I'd have to add a bit on somewhere so decided on laps of the pitches on the way back but how many would I need?! I did this during my lunch hour with the added stress of not wanting to be late back to work... Wore gloves and covered my watch with long sleeves and glove to remove the temptation to look and turned off the sound, also switched to HR screen in case I did look by mistake which I'd seen someone else do here.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4678872657

Thanks to M for organising this, over the last few weeks I have paid far more attention to my runs, how I feel, what my rhythm is like etc. Having said that, this result was a total fluke as I was sure I was under the hour when I stopped the watch :D

Am a bit in shock at how well this went!!! I have been trying to be more aware of how it feels when I run my easy pace and have counted my steps per breath to get an idea of the rhythm. Had a rough route in mind but there were some things that would throw this off, the first mile is mostly downhill which means that same mile in reverse is uphill and I don't often run that hill home opting to stop runs and walk it. I also knew I'd have to add a bit on somewhere so decided on laps of the pitches on the way back but how many would I need?! I did this during my lunch hour with the added stress of not wanting to be late back to work... Wore gloves and covered my watch with long sleeves and glove to remove the temptation to look and turned off the sound, also switched to HR screen in case I did look by mistake which I'd seen someone else do here.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4678872657

Thanks to M for organising this, over the last few weeks I have paid far more attention to my runs, how I feel, what my rhythm is like etc. Having said that, this result was a total fluke as I was sure I was under the hour when I stopped the watch :D

Well done!! I thought I was under too, was sure of it so I slowed coming back up town :rolleyes: Like you I have a decline downtown for km 2 and was sure it was too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Had a first attempt at this today. In order for me, a self confessed watch addict, to not lose my mind on this I definitely needed some distraction...something to take my mind off the run. The run should take care of itself on a 6 mile route I have been plodding around day after day in 55-57 minutes. A little additional loop through the grounds of DCU would add the extra half mile I should need to get somewhere in the ballpark. After that it would be in the lap of the Gods.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4678979206

So it turns out that I got it pretty accurate on the flats and downhills but backed off too much on the drags, something I have been doing when running by HR. All of the time was lost on the drag up to Ballymun and from the Old Swords Road to DCU.

Looks like I'm gonna have to have another crack at this to get back up the table.....So much for easy runs capped at 50mins this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Looks like I'm gonna have to have another crack at this to get back up the table.....So much for easy runs capped at 50mins this week!

Easy 50 + 10 min walk. ;)

• Advertisement

Updated table!

As I said everyone who participates gets at least 1 point. Next person to participate gets at least 3 points.

Also heads up on post #80 about February Challenge.

1|Omeceron| -1sec|20
    4|shotgunmcos| +13sec|18
    5|Dudda| +17sec|17
    5|Kander| -24sec|16
    7|Murph_D| +24sec|16
    8|Annie get your Run| +26sec|15
    9|skyblue46| +43sec|14
    10|ReeReeG |-58sec|13
    11|Comic Book Guy| +59sec|12