Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2021

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

He's a kid playing rugby in the games you are describing and you are trying to compare him to a full time athlete which he wasnt near being. Saying he lacks all of pace, discipline etc to be full back is not fair at all. He was a kid playing with his class mates in those games. Nothing more than that.

I suppose my criticism (as well as the advertisement) is a symptom of the pro game. Some people want to put up in lights some players without considering their relative strengths or weaknesses. His criticisms were a nod to my earlier post this month on this player regurgitating them to disguise his building up of the player and appeasing concerned past pupils like me. I personally don’t like it even if the player up on billboards etc excels at his position. The audacity to come on and put the kids picture up advertising his progress and then dress him down is childish and transparent. I don’t like it, the player in question is undeserving of it, has a lot to prove and said poster is guilty constantly of this offense. It’s feeding into the players mindset and they are set up to underwhelm. If he thinks it will change the minds of selectors perhaps he is correct but respect should be paid to those who don’t like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

If this post was about a senior pro or even academy player id say fair enough. But going to town like this on a teenager who is not part of the professional game doesn't sit well with me. Pretty ugly stuff.

Also "solely responsible along with people at the school," which is it then?

He is solely responsible for it on this site. His classmates might be responsible for it also. I suppose you can’t blame them but it doesnt do the player any favours trying to push him upwards. I am acting as the counterweight to this action. If you don’t like it ask the poster to stop hyping players from one school disproportionately.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Purist98

Literally all he said was he trained with the seniors, just like he would with any other sub academy player, not quite putting him on a pedestal like you think it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Lot of discussion about 9 and 10 for Ireland. My viewpoint is nothing about any of them. If the national team plays the way it plays, then what difference does it make. Time and again players have been brought into the fold and released from the fold. And there is a good reason for that. It does not fit. So Harry Byrne will not fit unless the coaching staff suggests he fits. But that is not likely to happen with the current coaching staff. So posters can suggest what they wish but the gameplay is the gameplay. And the player is not that important.

I have my own opinions on a teamsheet, but what's the point when the gameplay is the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Lot of discussion about 9 and 10 for Ireland. My viewpoint is nothing about any of them. If the national team plays the way it plays, then what difference does it make. Time and again players have been brought into the fold and released from the fold. And there is a good reason for that. It does not fit. So Harry Byrne will not fit unless the coaching staff suggests he fits. But that is not likely to happen with the current coaching staff. So posters can suggest what they wish but the gameplay is the gameplay. And the player is not that important.

I have my own opinions on a teamsheet, but what's the point when the gameplay is the gameplay.
    This is the under 20s thread so what does any of this have to do with that?

You go the game play is the game play but what can you suggest the team do instead of what theyre doing right now?
    The game play is the game play means absolutely nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alanb92

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

alanb92 wrote: »
    Good to see. No harm in him playing senior rugby abroad for a few years if he intends to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alanb92

Good to see. No harm in him playing senior rugby abroad for a few years if he intends to come back.

Agreed. He will get more game time at Leicester than he would have got if he moved to one of the Irish provinces. The strength of the current England centre options will stand in our favour in terms of him sticking with Ireland. Him and Hyde is up there with Arnold and Ringrose in terms of best u20 centre combo's I have seen in recent years. I wonder would both, or either, have started for England's u20's last season - I suspect they would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Come back? He never left. He is from Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

alanb92 wrote: »

This would be the exception of someone playing abroad as he is still in university. Hopefully he gets signed by an Irish province soon though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    This would be the exception of someone playing abroad as he is still in university. Hopefully he gets signed by an Irish province soon though.

He has no intention of moving at the moment...it's the IRFU chasing him, not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Kelly on for Leicester right now if anyone wants to take a look

Noticed Jamie Osborne is listed at 6'3.5, 95kg. Turns 20 next November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

What stadiums are the under 20s using this year? With the 6 nation's being on in June it could be the first rugby game's we're allowed to attend.

irish u20 outhalf Tim Corkery(Kilkenny) training with Leinster seniors today along fellow u20's Chris Cosgrave(Michaels), Jamie Osborne(Naas), Alex Soroka(Belvedere) & Joe McCarthy(Blackrock)

U20's playing this weekend:

Leinster: Alex Soroka, Jamie Osborne

Munster A: Ethan Coughlan, Alex Kendellan

Ulster A: Ben Moxham, Conor Rankin, Harry Sheridan, James McCormick, Oscar Egan, George Saunderson, Reuben Crothers, Nathan Doak, Conor McKee, James Humphreys, Ben Carson, Matthew Corr.

would appear James McCormick, Oscar Egan, Reuben Crothers, Nathan Doak and Ben Carson got off the bench for Ulster A.

irish u20 eligible players who have played senior rugby this season:

Alex Soroka(Backrow/Leinster) - 1
    Nathan Doak(Scrumhalf/Ulster) - 1
    Jamie Osborne(Centre/Leinster) - 3
    Dan Kelly(Centre/Leicester) - 5
    Ben Moxham(Wing/Ulster) - 2

Kilgallen played for Connacht earlier in the season didn't he? Or is he overage?

Kilgallen played for Connacht earlier in the season didn't he? Or is he overage?

overage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Overage now, 21 fairly soon

Leinster: 22. Jamie Osborne.
    * Tim Corkery was 24th man for Leinster.

Munster A: 21. Ethan Coughlan, 8. Alex Kendellan

Connacht Eagles: 12. Cathal Forde, 6. Donnacha Byrne, 17. Eoin de Buitlear, 19. Diarmuid McCormack
    20. Oisin McCormack, 22. Shane Jennings, 23. Hubert Gilvarry

Leinster: 8. Alex Soroka(Belvedere) 22. Tim Corkery(Kilkenny) 23. Jamie Osborne(Naas)

Munster: 20. Alex Kendellan(PBC)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

bayern wrote: »

Was always very unsure about him, seemed more he was just put there as he was the assistant so seemed the natural progression. Noel Mc was a huge loss, I wonder what direction they'll go for the 20's HC now.

Was always very unsure as to his credentials to take on the head coach role with Ire 20's, seemed more he was just put there as he was the assistant. Noel Mc was a huge loss, I wonder what direction they'll go for the 20's HC now.

you'd wonder if Noel Mc will come back in... was expecting to hear him get a promotion with Leinster but no sign of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

bayern wrote: »
    you'd wonder if Noel Mc will come back in... was expecting to hear him get a promotion with Leinster but no sign of it.

Was thinking the same to be honest. Leaving Ireland 20's to stay on as Leinster academy manager seems an odd move by all involved so something must have happened. Considering Contepomi is there, he might not get a look in with the senior squad for a while. I wonder if the Munster job would interest him if Van G were to leave, but I think that role seems reserved for O'Gara.

Was thinking the same to be honest. Leaving Ireland 20's to stay on as Leinster academy manager seems an odd move by all involved so something must have happened. Considering Contepomi is there, he might not get a look in with the senior squad for a while. I wonder if the Munster job would interest him if Van G were to leave, but I think that role seems reserved for O'Gara.

wonder if they wanted to move away from having the leinster academy manager being irish 20's coach and the former leinster academy manager being in charge of all underage rugby development..

will be interesting to follow.. McNamara can't have been very busy in 2021 given lack of A rugby and no 20's.. unless he has taken up a role with senior team that hasn't been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MrSocco80

Watched Leicester Tigers yesterday and was very impressed with Dan Kelly. Really should have gotten MOM but Austin Healy gave it to Harry Wells for some reason. Made a couple of breaks, loads of metres in contact, one try saving tackle and is a lovely passer.

I notice Hayden Hyde has moved back to Harlequins from Ulster. Does anyone know if he's possibly going to switch allegiance to England as a result? Hope not as I was very impressed with him for the u20s. I can understand this young exiles wanting to be based where their family is, especially during Covid.

• Advertisement

Advertisement