Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2020 :Round 17 Abu Dhabi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If it's that bad then maybe Hamilton's stock has taken a bit of a battering and he's not quite the King he thinks he is.

Hopefully he doesn't get past turn 1 on Sunday.

I might be alone in thinking his stock hasn't really been high for a while, not in terms of skills but in terms of popularity. Especially this year with the spin on some sort of "struggle" he has on race weekends.

He hasn't had any sort of struggle for most of his F1 career, that I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Gintonious wrote: »
    I might be alone in thinking his stock hasn't really been high for a while, not in terms of skills but in terms of popularity. Especially this year with the spin on some sort of "struggle" he has on race weekends.

He hasn't had any sort of struggle for most of his F1 career, that I can think of.

No, just the online backlash from his gender shaming of his nephew on twitter a few years back for wearing a dress, which I'm sure makes him feel that its in his best interests to champion the BLM movement in F1 to protect his perceived legacy/brand, and publicly look down on his colleagues who choose not to take the knee before their about to race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

pjohnson wrote: »
    Poor Bono's ears :(
    In the words of the man himself
    Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Hamilton should take a leaf out of Rosbergs book and retire while winning. I saw Rosberg showing off his new yacht in Monaco this week couple with speccing his Rimac the week before he's having g a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Gintonious wrote: »

Hamiltons stock is as high as its ever been. He has more fans than anyone, but he also has more haters. If you don't adore him like most of his fans you just hate him for coming across as a tool.

I'm a Hamilton fan but don't follow his social media or watch his interviews. That way I don't have to see how annoying he comes across. As a driver he's hard to fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Ikozma

How come kubica is driving for alpha romeo, where's geo?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ikozma wrote: »
    How come kubica is driving for alpha romeo, where's geo?
    kubica is their test driver and he does some FP1s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

FP1 POS DRIVER CAR GAP
    1 Max Verstappen Red Bull/Honda 1m37.378s
    2 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 0.034s
    3 Esteban Ocon Renault 1.137s
    4 Alexander Albon Red Bull/Honda 1.169s
    5 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1.366s
    6 Lance Stroll Racing Point/Mercedes 1.453s
    7 Sergio Perez Racing Point/Mercedes 1.578s
    8 Daniil Kvyat AlphaTauri/Honda 1.772s
    9 Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri/Honda 1.782s
    10 Kimi Raikkonen Alfa Romeo/Ferrari 1.821s
    11 Carlos Sainz Jr. McLaren/Renault 1.952s
    12 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1.966s
    13 Lando Norris McLaren/Renault 1.974s
    14 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 2.292s
    15 Robert Kubica Alfa Romeo/Ferrari 2.527s
    16 George Russell Williams/Mercedes 3.068s
    17 Nicholas Latifi Williams/Mercedes 3.685s
    18 Mick Schumacher Haas/Ferrari 3.857s
    19 Pietro Fittipaldi Haas/Ferrari 6.691s
    20 Daniel Ricciardo Renault -

Fittipaldi & Vettel were running parts for next years cars , not sure if they said which parts , Riccado had a gearbox issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

George Russell has a beautiful helmet this weekend:

George-Russell-Williams-Formel-1-GP-Abu-Dhabi-Freitag-11-12-2020-169Gallery-a478f726-1750634.jpg

Is this the last time we will see the Williams branding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Alonso in the 2005 renault

Such a beautiful sound. Shows how awful the cars are today.

Came in to post that and again make the point that the cars in that generation look so much more rapid and twitchy. Constant adjustments, hacking the wheel, flick of opposite lock in most corners, lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Any lap times for it? This car would have ran on grooved tyres too, I'd love to see the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Any lap times for it? This car would have ran on grooved tyres too, I'd love to see the difference

I doubt they'd be representative as it's just a demonstration run. Even though it looks and sounds faster than a qualifying run in a current car.

Absolutely stunning to watch, didn't appreciate how good we had it back in those days to be able to witness cars that sounded so incredible and were so twitchy and needed so much work in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The top of Russell's helmet with the nine Williams cars that won the Constructors Championship:

George-Russell-Williams-Formel-1-GP-Abu-Dhabi-Freitag-11-12-2020-169Gallery-bcfa3bd3-1750615.jpg

Great helmet and it seems like a goodbye helmet

Came in to post that and again make the point that the cars in that generation look so much more rapid and twitchy. Constant adjustments, hacking the wheel, flick of opposite lock in most corners, lovely.

I watched the few minutes of coverage it got at the start of FP2 and to be honest I'd prefer to watch that for 90 minutes than the race of these cars.

ELM327 wrote: »

It's a goodbye to Claire and Frank. Russell is signed up to the new team for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

So the full onboard lap from Alonso's run is in the link below. Don't really agree with those saying those cars were twitchy, this was the year where Alonso was going into most corner with practically full lock and the cars had pretty advanced traction control and electronics at this stage. I remember reading an interview with Monteiro back then and he mentioned how you pretty much had to drive the car to whatever suited the electronics. Though having said that the Jordan and the Minardi that year looked an awful handful, I used to enjoy their qualifying laps (I used to love 1 lap qualy as you got to see everyone's laps, but I accept I am in the minority on that one). Also worth noting at lot of people were switching off F1 during the early 2000s, the boom of the 90s was well and truly over.

On the other side though I do think those cars from 2005 were very pretty. After that season I think they started to go a bit OTT with turning vanes everywhere. I also loved how the cars were quite unique in shape. The McLaren for example had that distinct flat nose (always reminded me of a duck bill). If you painted all the cars white you have good chance at identifying which car is which. I would struggle with that these days. Also needless to say the sound is epic and adds a fantastic element of drama. Never got to experience the V10s in real life, the V8s were noisy enough, so can't imagine what the V10s were like. Anyway, enjoy the lap:

https://streamable.com/f62y6b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

From the video and seeing on twitter it came in around 1.43 or about 4 seconds slower than Latifi who was last in FP2. But goes to show speed isn't everything. The current F1 cars are the fastest ever seen in the sport but they are very far from being the best racing cars.

So the full onboard lap from Alonso's run is in the link below. Don't really agree with those saying those cars were twitchy, this was the year where Alonso was going into most corner with practically full lock and the cars had pretty advanced traction control and electronics at this stage. I remember reading an interview with Monteiro back then and he mentioned how you pretty much had to drive the car to whatever suited the electronics. Though having said that the Jordan and the Minardi that year looked an awful handful, I used to enjoy their qualifying laps (I used to love 1 lap qualy as you got to see everyone's laps, but I accept I am in the minority on that one). Also worth noting at lot of people were switching off F1 during the early 2000s, the boom of the 90s was well and truly over.

On the other side though I do think those cars from 2005 were very pretty. After that season I think they started to go a bit OTT with turning vanes everywhere. I also loved how the cars were quite unique in shape. The McLaren for example had that distinct flat nose (always reminded me of a duck bill). If you painted all the cars white you have good chance at identifying which car is which. I would struggle with that these days. Also needless to say the sound is epic and adds a fantastic element of drama. Never got to experience the V10s in real life, the V8s were noisy enough, so can't imagine what the V10s were like. Anyway, enjoy the lap:

https://streamable.com/f62y6b
    Yeah but I'm just on about appearances. Little movements look really nervous whereas today's cars seem to amble across the track.

Stoolbend wrote: »
    Hamiltons stock is as high as its ever been. He has more fans than anyone, but he also has more haters. If you don't adore him like most of his fans you just hate him for coming across as a tool.

I'm a Hamilton fan but don't follow his social media or watch his interviews. That way I don't have to see how annoying he comes across. As a driver he's hard to fault.

How do you measure that one?

Quite a few drivers have got a nice helmet for the finalé.
    Liking this one from Sainz.

https://twitter.com/Carlossainz55/status/1337452041384435712?s=19

It's incredible how much the team have improved since giving Dennis the heave ho.

ELM327 wrote: »

Was thinking the same thing, but I think it might be more to do with the Williams family leaving...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

flazio wrote: »
    Quite a few drivers have got a nice helmet for the finalé.
    Liking this one from Sainz.

https://twitter.com/Carlossainz55/status/1337452041384435712?s=19

It's incredible how much the team have improved since giving Dennis the heave ho.

Have to give Zak Brown major credit.

I'll admit I was sceptical of him when appointed but he's really showing to have been a brilliant appointment.

Really going to miss the Sainz/Norris combo and the McLaren content they would release with the two, saying that Ricciardo is a fun replacement.

If McLaren can push on next year it would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Have to give Zak Brown major credit.

I'll admit I was sceptical of him when appointed but he's really showing to have been a brilliant appointment.

Really going to miss the Sainz/Norris combo and the McLaren content they would release with the two, saying that Ricciardo is a fun replacement.

If McLaren can push on next year it would be brilliant.

I think Andreas Seidl has a big part to play also, McLaren could be in a good place when the new regs come in, in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hell even next year when they get Mercedes engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

He does seem to be making up the grid for the most part, but it'll be a sad day when Kimi retires

Screenshot-20201212-110131.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

What a lap by Max!

Advertisement