Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Open 2020

• 30-08-2020 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, grand slam tennis is back! But obviously everything has changed. The field will be seriously depleted, those who do play haven't played much tennis at all this year, there'll be no crowd support, there'll be wildly varying different levels of fitness, and of course some players have themselves been infected by the coronavirus.

The continued threat from Covid-19 also looms large, with the possibility of (I think?) forced withdrawals if a player tests positive, or perhaps even the cancellation of the entire event if there's a large outbreak. Should be a fun fortnight! :pac: Hope they can do something to make up for the lack of atmosphere, but I guess we should just enjoy whatever we get really. Looking at the numbers in France at the moment, and Paris being declared a 'red-zone', I think it's likely this may end up being the only other grand slam we'll get this year.

Here's to an interesting couple of weeks!

Women's Draw

Men's Draw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It'll be an interesting few weeks alright and I think because of all the withdrawals especially on the women's side it's definitely being devalued. On the men's side it's Djokovic's to lose now, hopefully one of the new generation can really put up a strong challenge to come through and win it, the men's game badly needs a new slam winner, especially now that Federer and Nadal aren't there it's a great opportunity for them. Djokovic still remains the one to beat.
    The woman's side is wide open and Osaka may not be fit either so with all the withdrawals Serena will never get a better opportunity to will another slam, hoping someone else like Pliskova can come through and win it

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A player has already had to pull out due to testing positive.

https://twitter.com/ATNtennis/status/1300081817735888896

They didn't name him in their statement, but the player is Benoit Paire. Contact tracing is underway so more may have to pull out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It’s ridiculous. What are they trying to do, show that everything is normal? It isn't, and this is not doing anyone any favours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

There was always a big risk this was going to happen.

All we can hope for is first and foremost a speedy recovery, and that it remains an isolated incident and the tournament can proceed without any further hiccups.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So, *11* players identified as being a close contact of Paire.. yet they'll still be allowed to play. Were made to sign a new waiver, limiting their contact with other players and with reduced access to certain parts of the facilities. A bubble within a bubble, so to speak. Fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don’t know if people know this but if you have amazon prime video you can watch the US open and I was watching some of the games last night and it’s great. You can also watch all the games back.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don’t know if people know this but if you have amazon prime video you can watch the US open and I was watching some of the games last night and it’s great. You can also watch all the games back.

Yeah it's a good service. There were big problems with it when they introduced it last year but I think it's working well now.

No big shocks so far I think. We'll Gauff lost but not sure how much of a shock that is. Perhaps it is for the likes of Sue Barker who last month had her winning more grand slams than Margaret Court :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Andy Murray looks to be in a spot of trouble. Set and a break down.

Now two sets down. Hasn't won a five set match since winning Wimbledon back in 2016, and that probably won't change today. Tbh I'm surprised, I saw him making a bit of a fairytale run here, maybe even a semi final or final.

Tsvetana Pironkova plays (and wins) her first match since Wimbledon 2017. Always a player I like to see do well.

Now two sets down. Hasn't won a five set match since winning Wimbledon back in 2016, and that probably won't change today. Tbh I'm surprised, I saw him making a bit of a fairytale run here, maybe even a semi final or final.

Still some fight in him yet. On serve in the fourth at 5-5.

I would also like to see him do a fairytale run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Murray match now into 5th set.
    And on serve.

Very odd with no crowd.

Amazon prime coverage is very good though I have to say.

Murray takes it 6-4 in 5th set what a comeback!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

whiterebel wrote: »
    It’s ridiculous. What are they trying to do, show that everything is normal? It isn't, and this is not doing anyone any favours.

What do you mean by this exactly. No country is under total lockdown anymore so if lockdown restrictions are lifted then I don't see why you think we should behave as if we are still in total lockdown.

Individual sports I think are the easiest to manage in terms of the virus especially ones that don't involve body contact, like Tennis.

Well played Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Well done Murray indeed.

To be honest, I'm not sure Covid is having that much of an effect on the crowds, sure no none was going to come to the US Open anyway once Federer withdrew...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

While it's great to see from Murray, this sort of thing was always his biggest flaw. Never made anything easy for himself. People are talking about how great he played but the only place it leads is straight back to the hospital.

I thought when he came back he might change up his game to be more agressive like when he was younger. But I guess not.

Edmund giving djokovic a decent match (he took first set on tiebreak) but djokovic really picked it up though to take the second set and now a break up in third.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Djokovic had no right to win that point.
    But an UE by Edmund all the same.

Djokovic running away with it now.

To be fair to Edmund, at least he took the first and made a match of it.

I am watching the dan evans match.
    He has really improved hugely in recent years, very decent tight match so far against Moutet.

I would slightly fear for Murray against Aliassime...

• Advertisement

Raonic out in 4 sets to Popisil!
    Pretty big shock that.

gmisk wrote: »
    Raonic out in 4 sets to Popisil!
    Pretty big shock that.

Yeah, I had him going deep, he was very impressive last week.

Konta out to Cirstea and Muguruza out to Pironkova. Cirstea is decent and something of an underachiever imo so not that big of an upset, but the Muguruza loss is poor. This is Pironkova's first tournament in over three years after having a baby!

Thiem through with with very little trouble.

gmisk wrote: »
    I am watching the dan evans match.
    He has really improved hugely in recent years, very decent tight match so far against Moutet.

I would slightly fear for Murray against Aliassime...
    I was right to fear for Murray...he was blown away in straight sets, sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I really can't bring myself to watch any of it. Tennis without fans is just awful. Some sports can get away with it. Tennis can't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I really can't bring myself to watch any of it. Tennis without fans is just awful. Some sports can get away with it. Tennis can't.

Hasn't bothered me to be honest.

I'm actually getting used to the no crowds, but I think it's not as big a deal in the earlier rounds when the stadiums would usually be less than half full with the majority scattered among the upper tier. It'll be a lot more weird from the quarter finals onwards.

Be interesting to see what happens with RG. They were originally planning to let in crowds, doubt that'll happen now, if it's even allowed to go ahead at all.

I don't mind it without the fans. I would prefer tennis with no fans over no tennis at all.

Shapovalov looking good for this one. Running way with the fifth set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 hollowlands

Djokovic about to be disqualified here

Advertisement