Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 French Open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

What's the rationale behind playing a quarter final at this ridiculous time?
    It's not fair to the players, whose bio-rhythms will be knocked seriously out of sync.
    Whoever wins this, probably won't be able to get to sleep before 4am French time.
    That's not the right preparation for a FO semi final in a few days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Sinner playing well here, looks like he could be a serious contender and could have a very good career ahead of him. Nadal looks very uncomfortable, possible upset on the cards.
    It's crazy that they are still playing at this time, are they going to play to a finish or do they have to stop at a certain time?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Skinner is fun to watch, but Nadal will just wait him out, he is going to beat himself

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Had this late a match been played at RG before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Augme

walshb wrote: »
    Had this late a match been played at RG before?

Nope, this is the first time they have had floodlights on the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

josip wrote: »
    What's the rationale behind playing a quarter final at this ridiculous time?
    It's not fair to the players, whose bio-rhythms will be knocked seriously out of sync.
    Whoever wins this, probably won't be able to get to sleep before 4am French time.
    That's not the right preparation for a FO semi final in a few days time.

Era they'll be grand. Is it any different to the times they play until at US/Australian Opens?

Think Sinner's chance is gone, losing that break of serve.
    The experience difference is showing, but, Rafa still not comfortable and with the crazy time this is being played at we might get a crazy result

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

After hanging around all day I'm sure they'd have wanted to play anyway, rather than having to come back again tomorrow. Bet rafa would have been fuming if they'd sent them away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Sinner just needs to hang in there and take any opportunities that come his way. It would not be beyond him to make a good match of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Mendelsohn33

It's 50-50 at this stage.
    I mean I am very buttblasted and sore about orange trump being president.
    I was a moderator on a political discussion board in 2015 2016 and I bet all my eggs on hillary
    Now nobody respects my opinion on political matters
    So ya
    I will ban anybody
    Co's I was wrong.

I need to buy some trump butt salve cream because I was so wrong
    And every body sees it

• Advertisement

2-0 to Nadal now.
    I expect the next set to be very straightforward for him.
    He'll get to sleep earlier than I thought. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Sinner has finally ceeded the baseline, the end is nigh. Nadal not enjoying this one bit but Sinner not showing enough patience at times. I will be looking out for him in the next few years, really good fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Chivito550 wrote: »
    6-2 7-5 was a convincing win in Rome. Am I crazy to think Diego has a legit shot at taking Nadal?

impossible at RG, maybe in 5/6 years time but no one is beating him here for the forseeable....

The tournament is a total joke at this stage.

impossible at RG, maybe in 5/6 years time but no one is beating him here for the forseeable....

The tournament is a total joke at this stage.

The bookies must have it so so wrong then :D

https://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/french-open/mens#winner

Djokovic and the wizened prune are neck and neck in the odds stakes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

So many surprises in womens won't be shocked if kvitova loses to siegemund. Don't know what the record is for attempted drop shots but i'm betting siegemund will smash it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

glasso wrote: »
    The bookies must have it so so wrong then :D

https://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/french-open/mens#winner

Djokovic and the wizened prune are neck and neck in the odds stakes

Bookies don't have a clue, lets talk on Sunday, I have money on Nadal anyway, I got them at 2.50 .... idiots throwing money away.

I am still sticking to my prediction that Nole or Nadal won't win this title..

Anyway, it's a bit sad on clay that an "old" man, Nadal, as good as he is is not being beaten by stronger and younger men...

Nole in the QFs today?

Anyway, it's a bit sad on clay that an "old" man, Nadal, as good as he is is not being beaten by stringer and younger men...

Nole in the QFs today?

Nadal even though he has started looking 50 (he mustn't like sunscreen) is 34 - not all that surprising that he can still compete especially in modern times with much better body maintenance knowledge, nutrition and training than there was even 10 years ago.

Agassi was still getting to GS finals at 35 and that was 15 years ago and lifetimes ago effectively in terms of athletes being able to compete longer at the highest level.

Nadal even though he has started looking 50 (he mustn't like sunscreen) is 34 - not all that surprising that he can still compete especially in modern times with much better body maintenance knowledge, nutrition and training than there was even 10 years ago.

Agassi was still getting to GS finals at 35 and that was 15 years ago and lifetimes ago effectively in terms of athletes being able to compete longer at the highest level.

I get that, but he is still number 1 on clay....clay is a damn tough surface....

It's a little sad that 16 years on he is still the man to beat on this surface....

Well only one of them can win the title :D

• Advertisement

Well only one of them can win the title :D

Meant to say AND....

Hoping one, or both lose their next match now to keep my prediction...

Meant to say AND....

Hoping one, or both lose their next match now to keep my prediction...

Be great to see another new slam winner, but, highly unlikely. More than likely, one will beat the other in the final. I'd put Djokovic as favourite.

Djokovic seems to have a niggle and has been broken in the first set.

I get that, but he is still number 1 on clay....clay is a damn tough surface....

It's a little sad that 16 years on he is still the man to beat on this surface....

Well he is the undisputed clay GOAT and that doggedness and obsessive compulsive disorder thing that he has going on means that he'll keep going and giving his all until he can't.

Well he is the undisputed clay GOAT and that doggedness and obsessive compulsive disorder thing that he has going on means that he'll keep going and giving his all until he can't.

That doggedness he has is his greatest strength, never gives and never gives in

Nole a set down..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Moping around the court letting everyone know he has a problem. He does this all time, usually followed by him upping a gear and trouncing his opponent. The alternative though is he goes a break or two down in this set and then just quits.

Doesn't seem fully right so far Djokovic - whether it's something that he can shake off or more serious remains to be seen.

First set that he has lost this championship they said.

Djokovic hanging on at the moment.

CB threw away a break there

• Advertisement

He's a break up but still hanging on!

Advertisement